News: Why Dallas Cowboys’ family business prevents winning titles

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry hasn't been the GM for 10 years
Stephen is doing pretty well......only 2 losing seasons
No question Stephen is much more involved and responsible for much more. But make no mistake, Jerral Wayne Jones is the General Manager. Just ask him.

Aven8

Reaction score
Wal-Mart is a family business. It's not about the family name. It's about the decisions they make.

You are correct. And the late GREAT Sam Walton drove to work every day in his old pickup and ate breakfast at the same Days Inn every morning. He paid himself a $250,000 salary every year. He was humble, and much like Warren Buffet he wasn't in it for the money. It was building something is what he loved.

If he were alive today he would make Bill Gates fortune look like chump change because his billions have been divided up between his children, whom are still some of the richest people in the world.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These guys really are good at putting a positive spin on the last decade.
I guess if a fan is encouraged by the number of pro bowlers we’ve had the last decade, and encouraged by those 2 wild card wins, then this is a great time to be a fan.

Sydla

Reaction score
I guess if a fan is encouraged by the number of pro bowlers we’ve had the last decade, and encouraged by those 2 wild card wins, then this is a great time to be a fan.

If two playoff wins in 10 years and 3 wins in 20+ years makes these guys happy, I fear for their lives that they might explode in jubilation if we ever won a conference title.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jerry gets credit for hiring Jimmy if Jimmy gets credit for Barry's SB

Who didn’t give him credit for hiring Johnson.

But since the Jones family has exerted more influence over personnel after Jimmy left and they won their last SB, the “front office” has delivered 3 playoff wins since then.

Three.

Three.

Three.

Anyone who isn’t a total Cowboys homer should be able to admit the last 20 years has been a real sad run.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I can figure put the point you TRIED to make, but...well....that didn't work out so well.
Since you begged......once Jimmy didn't personally recruit or play against every top player at Miami and didn't have a million top draft picks he wasn't such a genius.......just a Hairdo

cern

Reaction score
Now go look at the many so called football men in the league and you will see the same type of stuff. Plus Jerry hasn't been just hanging around the league, he been as much or more involved than most.
I only care what his expertise has done for the cowboys the last 20 years. Since Jimmy left, only one noteworthy coach. (parcells). No qb for years after aikman until a free agent named Antonio Ramiro came to town. Publicly stating tony's scrambling abilities precluded the need for a good o-line. Allowing our d-backs to be the nfl's worst. I could go on but no need.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry gets credit for hiring Jimmy if Jimmy gets credit for Barry's SB
I agree. Jerry deserves lots of credit for hiring Jimmy and letting Jimmy build those teams. And Jerry was certainly involved too and deserves credit. But what credit does Jerry deserve for the on field product since then?

cern

Reaction score
What did Jimmy do since he left DAL?
He took Miami to the playoffs every year he coached the team. If Wayne huizinga would have let him trade the aging marino, he would have done even more. Now he has fun on fox and chases Wahoo.

Sydla

Reaction score
Since you are such a big Eagles fan you would know it just takes one good run to erase a mediocre decade

Great. That one great season hasn’t happened yet so all we have at our disposal to analyze the job done in the last decade (and longer) is the actual seasons.

And we’ve had a pretty sad 10 and 20 year run under the model where Jerry and his kids make most of the football decisions.

That’s just reality backed up by actual results on the field.

Unless of course you think 3 playoff wins in 20+ seasons is a sign of good stewardship by Jerry.

And FWIW, while I don’t believe Jerry is some player personnel whiz, I think his bigger failure is he just stinks at hiring head coaches since Barry S had his quick cup of coffee in Dallas.