Why did we have grit in Pittsburgh then go flat at home?

Wizarus

Reaction score
Offensively the Lions are superior, and they arent going to run out of gas like the Steelers. Thats why the defense gave up.

quickccc

Reaction score
Steels have a jacked up passer who is far more athlete than he is a passer. Their pass game is very limited.

They have an average running back and not near the duo beast mode lions have at RB.

We barely squeaked a last minute win with atea with such limitations.

Lions are easily a far superior team than Steelers.

Astounding how after all these decades of the worse nfl team ,it's a.far cry different and better with the Lions nowadays..

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
bull.
steelers are a good team.
everybody picked steelers to win that game.
they were gonna do to us what the lions did.
we beat'm and now folks act like the steelers are 0-6.
Steelers are a pretty good team, not in the same class as the Lions. They have the NFL's worst passing game, so even when they play well, they're often going to be in close games.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the last minute win with toughness and grit in Pittsburgh would carry us for a while. Then at home the team went flat. We are a Jekyll and Hyde team. I want to know what happened between these two games that caused such a stark difference in outcomes. Open thread and taking ideas.....
You got the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde right. It highlights the difference in toughness and grit demonstrated by the team.

It does not have anything to do with the team's talent or the opponent's talent but more about internal will and determination. It has everything to do with matching the opponent's intensity and how the team reacts when it gets hits smacked dead in the mouth.

Toughness and grit do not guarantee wins. Tough, gritty teams have lost in football for as long as the sport has existed. A tough, gritty team can still lose by two touchdowns because they played competitively while lacking talent.

Yes. Detroit was more talented than Pittsburgh. Detroit was more talented than New Orleans too. Baltimore MIGHT not be as talented as Detroit but they were better than New Orleans. Take your mind back to the Ravens--a game I was unfortunate to witness in person--and ask yourself, "How and why did Dallas rally in the fourth quarter?"

Answer: Overwhelming embarrassment finally kicked. Players finally decided to focus on execution. Players finally decided to man up and not get blown off the line of scrimmage every snap. Suddenly, the team got tough. They got gritty. It was too freaking late. Games are four quarters long, not one.

Where was the team's toughness and grit Sunday afternoon? Both were <expletive> slapped out of their mouths when the game started. Determination was knocked clean out ot their bodies. Any form of embarrassment was quickly replaced with confusion. What are we gonna do? What are we gonna do? WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?

They did squat. Laid down and took it. It is not about outcomes. The difference between Pittsburgh and Detroit's games was playing hard and playing soft. Dallas is soft and will submit if they are bullied.

Team has too much Jerry Jones in it's soul. All show. No guts. It needs exorcism.

/rant

kskboys

Reaction score
I thought the last minute win with toughness and grit in Pittsburgh would carry us for a while. Then at home the team went flat. We are a Jekyll and Hyde team. I want to know what happened between these two games that caused such a stark difference in outcomes. Open thread and taking ideas.....
Very easy answer:

PITT has a one dimensional O that was easy to stop simply by run blitzing.

Now, when you run blitz, you are opening up things for the passing game. Fields is a terrible passer and was not able to take advantage of it.

DET has a multi-dimensional O.

kskboys

Reaction score
Toughness, grit, heart, whatever.

How do you guys keep missing this so badly? We played just as tough against DET.

Sydla

Reaction score
You are missing the obvious point.

The Steelers stink. When you face a bad team with a bad QB, your flaws can be covered up. We didn't have "grit" against Pitts. We played a team as bad as we are and just squeaked out a win. People wasted brain cells trying to convince themselves the Steelers game meant something.

It did not. It was one bad team beating another bad team. That's it.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because they weren't as good maybe!!!? If Pitt actually had someone to throw the ball in decent manner, and a runner with some quickness, game would have been over

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You are missing the obvious point.

The Steelers stink. When you face a bad team with a bad QB, your flaws can be covered up. We didn't have "grit" against Pitts. We played a team as bad as we are and just squeaked out a win. People wasted brain cells trying to convince themselves the Steelers game meant something.

It did not. It was one bad team beating another bad team. That's it.
I thought “you are what your record says you are” was true?

No matter how you guys downplay it that’s a tough win. Doesn’t mean it means anything but to sit around for hours, play in bad weather, beat a team better than you was a solid win.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
i love how people pretend they never said we would get stomped by pittsburgh...they were gonna punch a mud hole in us and walk it dry.
we win.
and now pittsburgh was/is a bunch of pushovers.
i hate the way we lost to the lions to.
but that doesn't change a good road win over a good steelers team.
Everyone said we'd lose and now they are changing their tune. I'm as down as everyone else is about this crap but we have to be honest.

Flamma

Reaction score
Think of our 3 wins. They were all against absolute garbage offenses. The best offense we beat were the Giants. How nuts is that?

bdk76

Reaction score
Very easy answer:

PITT has a one dimensional O that was easy to stop simply by run blitzing.

Now, when you run blitz, you are opening up things for the passing game. Fields is a terrible passer and was not able to take advantage of it.

DET has a multi-dimensional O.
I'll just add that Detroit also whooped are *** at the line of scrimmage. Both offensively and defensively...

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Everyone said we'd lose and now they are changing their tune. I'm as down as everyone else is about this crap but we have to be honest.
This is why sifting through this place takes so much time to find quality posts. It’s just mindless, intellectually dishonest chaff.

The team isn’t good right now and it may not be all season. But damn, hyperbole as a rhetorical device is wayyyyy overused here.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Pittsburgh's offense was almost non-functional against us. Their defense was tough, but Dak played a great game and we pulled out a low-scoring win.

This week, the Lions offense was clicking, especially with their run game against our non-existent run defense. They never punted all day and buried us in a 20 point hole like that.

Dak would have to score every drive to keep pace with the Lions. He's just not that guy and our O just doesn't have that kind of horsepower. We got buried and then it was over.

We got what, 3 points out of our first 3 drives? You can deal with a cold stretch like that when you're facing Justin Fields, but not when you're playing a contender.