Why didn't we pick an offensive lineman with our first three picks you asked?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
that makes zero sense, sounds more like they aren't sure of either and hedging their bets. sorry but our FO obviously sees the best 5 starts the season, so we are set , if 77 gets hurt we kick 73 back to LT and use one of many OL we have here ie Chuma, Farniok, draft picks, UDFA, and then we have Wally and ball.

i mean how hard is it to replace CM anyway? we aren't replacing a PB or HOF player? AND you think p[ickig who fans wanted like Torrence etc is lock that solves the issue for the next decade?? Seriously, panic isn't a good look on fans. let the coaches get it figured out.

knock on Torrence bad knees and well hes a rookie with bad knees
Not really sure what you are saying.
If you are comfortable with the "starting" 5, that's fine. On paper, it looks ok. It is also completely reasonable to question why we would count on that lineup to last the season and if it doesn't the question remains do you really have a starting caliber LG to insert? That's not panic, it's a concern.
As for replacing CM, come back to this question if all the current options give you CWill level play or below.
Who was picking Torrence for a decade?
If Torrence has knee concerns that would cause his rating to be lowered, that's an acceptable reason. Leary had knee issues too. Didn't keep him from being the physical force we needed during his time here though.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
There’s nothing about that back up line that gives me confidence but I’ll wait and see

It will be needed early and often if recent history repeats itself

Ball is horrible . Waletzco is a project but we won’t know till the pads are on

The TE pick to me was a reach . I would have waited till round 3 at the earliest but who am I
I understand your point of view, it's just different from mine, and I think that is cool. I'm just looking forward to the future and I think it's kind of looking up.

The starting five is solid then we have TJ Bass, Waletzco, Bostick and Richards to develop. We don't know what they'll bring so it makes no sense to me to assume they'll suck!

T.E may have been a reach , Time will tell, again no reason to assume he'll suck, there's just as much of a chance he be a Jason Witten type

but just like you who am I ? I just look forward to TC to see what it will be and I expect success

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...and when Tyron gets injured again?????? Then what????? The Eagles seriously upgraded their DL as did the Giants and Washington still has a quality DL......so in spite of those upgrades Dallas has done nothing to upgrade the OL when they had a chance to grab road grader Torrence in the 2nd.....but instead reach for a part-time blocking TE....laughable.
road grader? Heck yeah that's what I wanted. SOmebody clearing a big hole FORWARD!

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Because who are we moving to the bench? Barring injury in training camp this is our starting group, IMO.

Tyron Smith LT
Tyler Smith LG
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Steele RT

Swing tackles/back up guards will be Waletzko/Peters and Ball
Waletzko is going to surprise many people here. We will draft a backup at the center position today.

If ya'll laugh at Tyron getting his job back at LT, go look at the Bucs and 49er games. ESPECIALLY the 49er name. The dude was kicking and taking names out there. When healthy he's still our best option at tackle.

You don't sit a first ballot HOFer when he's healthy and still playing very well.

I don't guarantee anything but I think this is what they were thinking last night.
Those backups you have listed are some you cannot rely or depend on. Peters is long on the tooth, Ball is short on talent, and Wally is questionable at this point. Biadasz is still a weak link. And then you got Tyron waiting to be replaced after he goes out within 5 games into the season. May involve reshuffling the OL. I like better some of the young bloods coming in like Bostic, Bass, as well as Udoga and maybe Farniok.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
These are typical post draft discussions by armchair GM’s. Drafting is not next man up. Teams don’t draft positions, they draft players. Just because some consensus board said Torrence was next man up doesn’t mean Dallas should run the card up.

They are going to choose players that fit their system and plans. I wanted a G early as well and said early on that if they wanted someone who would likely have a meaningful contribution this year, my opinion was it would need to be by #58…it was a weak class. Turns out it was fairly picked over and obviously Torrence didn’t meet the Cowboys plans.

People on this board always preach about BPA. What they really mean is their BPA or the consensus BPA, not the Cowboys BPA. People need to realize that Dallas doesn’t care about your board or the consensus board,..and thank God for that.

Our real focus should be that Dallas is maximizing their resources and doing a good job of talent evaluation. They are going to miss some…that is the nature of projecting talent. But personally I have been pleased with how they have done in recent years.

When you have that sweaty feeling of despair because some talking head convinced you that you are not worrying enough, just ask yourself these 2 questions: (Hint…1 is a coach and 1 a DC)

WWJGD​
WWMND​

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Maybe he develops at G. Thats the plan anyway. Once again, we go into the season with very little depth and hoping for a miracle.
People here making lots of noise that management "really likes" Farniok, Waletsko, and Edoga.
We like our guys!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The second round TE pick was a mistake in my opinion. Sure the Cowboys could use a TE, but they really need to add quality at left guard.
Did you dig into why they went TE and not OG?

Understanding why the Cowboys did what they did would help out immensely.

J-man

Reaction score
Because who are we moving to the bench? Barring injury in training camp this is our starting group, IMO.

Tyron Smith LT
Tyler Smith LG
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Steele RT

Waletzko is going to surprise many people here. We will draft a backup at the center position today.

If ya'll laugh at Tyron getting his job back at LT, go look at the Bucs and 49er games. ESPECIALLY the 49er name. The dude was kicking and taking names out there. When healthy he's still our best option at tackle.

You don't sit a first ballot HOFer when he's healthy and still playing very well.

I don't guarantee anything but I think this is what they were thinking last night.
Why do people think this is what they want to do? As far as I can tell no one wants to keep moving Tyler back and forth from G to T. They want him to be the LT. I agree Tyron is a FHOF player and great when healthy, but as was evident last season when Steele was out, he was moved to RT, not Tyler. The torch has already been passed.

IMHO this is the best we can with what we have.
Tyler Smith LT
Richards LG *if he proves his worth
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Tyron Smith RT

I'd have Steele back as the swing OT for a few reasons. Both Tyler and Tyron are better than him. He's coming off injury and may not be 100% by camp. He's been the swing and the team is used to him being in that role. If/when Tyron goes down I'd rather just 1 move spot vs 2, which is what would happen if Tyler was at LG.

They got Richards so lets hope he can step up and take control of the LG spot. If not, we may have a problem.
No way Peters is back. They signed Edoga for his spot as the primary back up OG.
Ball hasn't shown anything to make me have confidence in him.
Farniok is a decent 3rd string OG and back up C.
I agree that Waletzko will be a good back up OT this year. Probably makes Steele expandable next season. But can he be a G if need be?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Why do people think this is what they want to do? As far as I can tell no one wants to keep moving Tyler back and forth from G to T. They want him to be the LT. I agree Tyron is a FHOF player and great when healthy, but as was evident last season when Steele was out, he was moved to RT, not Tyler. The torch has already been passed.

Tyler Smith LT
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Tyron Smith RT

I'd have Steele back as the swing OT for a few reasons. Both Tyler and Tyron are better than him. He's coming off injury and may not be 100% by camp. He's been the swing and the team is used to him being in that role. If/when Tyron goes down I'd rather just 1 move spot vs 2, which is what would happen if Tyler was at LG.

They got Richards so lets hope he can step up and take control of the LG spot. If not, we may have a problem.
No way Peters is back. They signed Edoga for his spot as the primary back up OG.
I agree that Waletzko will be a good back up OT this year. Probably makes Steele expandable next season. But can he be a G if need be?
I suppose it's relying on getting Best 5 and experience on the O-Line, over the 5th rookie Richards and Waletzko with his 1 NFL offensive snap......I mean last years 1st Rd rookies, Zion Johnson (early on) and Kenyon Green (most of season) struggled when playing in the middle of the trenches vrs those big nasty vets.

Im guessing the attraction of having Tyler at Guard is his relative mobility (especially as it was rumored we wanted the more athletic Avila and Bergeron in the draft). Tyron-Tyler is still the strongest COMBO on the left and so long as he's fit, you keep the Steele/Martin partnership as we ran off it so well.

On Steele, did you mean expendable (not rushed back) or expandable (ability to play Guard)? I considered whether playing at Guard (with more front facing pressure as opposed to the knee flexibility to react to edge rushers) would help Steele get on the field, but reality is he'll only play when fully fit (learning from the Gallup rush back).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Tyler Smith LT
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Tyron Smith RT

:thumbdown:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Tyron Smith LT
Tyler Smith LG
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Steele RT

Why do you people continue to do this to yourselves?

Jerry and Stephen both told all of us, Tyler will not be a LG, but the LT starter. And Tyron will be the starting RT. I get it, some of you think you know more than the team but you don't. Steele if they feel would be better inside atleast for this yr then let him play inside. It's not a slap in the face, but Tyron healthy is the best player on the OL, with all respect to Martin. But they value Tyler more than Steele.

Give Tyron a offseason to get his footing correct switching sides and With Martin you gotta love what you got on the right side. Then you team up Tyler with Steele and that could be the future on the left side. Or have him start this yr while they develop Richards.

Now idk if that's the best spot for each but that's what they're planning.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen both told all of us, Tyler will not be a LG, but the LT starter.

And Tyron will be the starting RT. I get it, some of you think you know more than the team but you don't.
Yeah, and everything Jerry has said has turned out EXACTLY like he said it. :facepalm: I don't blindly follow anyone's word, including Jerry's. I can think on my own and I think (key word there) those are the best players that we have to be starters, and you use the best to start. But I would love for the guys we drafted/signed as FA's/already have on the roster to step up and take the spots of any of those players I think will be the starters. I doubt that's going to happen though.

And you don't either, hermano. If you did you'd be a coach at a high level or a NFL GM. You (I am too for that matter) are just a message board couch coach. I get that! ;)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, and everything Jerry has said has turned out EXACTLY like he said it. :facepalm: I don't blindly follow anyone's word, including Jerry's. I can think on my own and I think (key word there) those are the best players that we have to be starters, and you use the best to start. But I would love for the guys we drafted/signed as FA's/already have on the roster to step up and take the spots of any of those players I think will be the starters. I doubt that's going to happen though.

And you don't either, hermano. If you did you'd be a coach at a high level or a NFL GM. You (I am too for that matter) are just a message board couch coach. I get that! ;)
I love that last line where he questions it himself.

:laugh:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
who would you have drafted and when?
Yep, for a lot of the fanbase who believe themselves 'draft experts', they show a marked inability to appreciate certain positions.....they can see WR/CB/EDGE or QB and can differentiate between the players and how they'd fit in our scheme. When it comes to interior lines, they prefer to take the approach SIGN ANYONE THAT CAN PLAY THE POSITION. It was evident from the 1st RD discussion that we seriously considered (the athletic/flex) of Avila or Bergeron and later in the draft we deliberately overlooked the mauling/slow footed (Torrence/Bradford).

I suppose the FO look at the upgrade value (on position),against what we have....and place a heavy weighting, NOT NECESSARILY POSITION, but how that player's traits and skillset fit's in what we're planning.

It's like the Schoonmaker pick, underwhelming (yes as a player in isolation), however, its evident that what he provides is a) central to what we need/how we're going to play b) we couldnt get it in the remaining options Kraft/Strange.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
If you listen to the video where they were discussing who to take at 26 between Mazi and Bergeron, they didn't consider Bergeron to necessarily be a plug-and-play guy. If he was their top remaining OL, then there wasn't another plug-and-play OL in their view that they could have taken in the first three rounds.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
Unless one of them can play QB it doesn't really matter