Why didn't we pick an offensive lineman with our first three picks you asked?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No he isn’t. The surprise will be yours when they cut him. He’s simply not good.

Which inspires zero confidence.
It may not inspire your confidence, but the FO appear quite content. They have a plan on how they're going to play and from indications the more athletic Avila and Bergeron fit that profile, where Torrence and Bradford didnt (its not as if we didnt fully test/meet with the latter pair).

Agree that we need contingencies, but at present they must be high on Waletzko, Richards and Edoga.....and not having confidence in those three smacks of being influenced by draft hype.

@starfan1 of course Schoonmaker was a reach, that's what happens when you pick late round and there are runs on positions the organization deems important.

Carter

Reaction score
If i ever read Torrance again i might cry. Guys here only watch NFL "Experts" Draft Boards and read stats.

The guy is like 350 Pounds and moves like he is stuck in mud. He cant block into the 2nd level which is required in a zone blocking scheme with finesse RBs and Slot Receivers that we run! He also cant play multiple positions on the Line which is what the Cowboys look for.

Torrance is a good guard but not a fit to this team and how we play Offense.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If i ever read Torrance again i might cry. Guys here only watch NFL "Experts" Draft Boards and read stats.

The guy is like 350 Pounds and moves like he is stuck in mud. He cant block into the 2nd level which is required in a zone blocking scheme with finesse RBs and Slot Receivers that we run! He also cant play multiple positions on the Line which is what the Cowboys look for.

:hammer:....but, but, but we need a LG, but, but, but he was available, but, but, but we must have liked him as we met with him, but, but, but we have no confidence in Richards, Edoga, Farniok, Waletzko EVEN THOUGH WE'VE HARDLY SEEN ANY OF THE CURRENT STAFF NOR DRAFT PICKS PLAY IN THE NFL.

I get your frustration.

Carter

Reaction score
Besides Steve Avila there was not a starting Day 1 Guard in the Draft if you consider real guards and not Tackles that transfer to Guard.

We drafted a ton of O-Liners the last years that are still in development and signed Chuma (3rd Round Pick) still only 25 in FA.

Also Tyler Smith is the starting LG next season if Tyron somehow doesnt get injured again in TC.

starfan1

Reaction score
@starfan1 of course Schoonmaker was a reach, that's what happens when you pick late round and there are runs on positions the organization deems important.
As a fan I just have to sit back and see how it pans out
To this fan the need for OL far exceeded the need for TE but as you say the organization may be high on folks I deem average

This is same org that drafted zeke 4th and gave a decent but nothing special qb a top level contract

Which I don’t necessarily hate but you need to protect your resources and put them in best position to succeed and guard to me was a better pick at 2 or even a playmaker which I don’t consider the Michigander to be

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
As a fan I just have to sit back and see how it pans out
To this fan the need for OL far exceeded the need for TE but as you say the organization may be high on folks I deem average

This is same org that drafted zeke 4th and gave a decent but nothing special qb a top level contract

Which I don’t necessarily hate but you need to protect your resources and put them in best position to succeed and guard to me was a better pick at 2 or even a playmaker which I don’t consider the Michigander to be
But as a fan you (and I) have NO insight into the organizational aims.....especially on an Offense that's going into the season with a new OC, Line-coach and play-caller.

We havent got any insight into the value we have on our present options and you're just reiterating what draft experts are saying, when they themselves arent addressing players in the view of different organizational schemes. The one thing we do have an insight upon is that WE DIDNT TAKE TORRENCE and preferred Schoonmaker.....that indicates what the organization wanted and appears to give a distinct insight into how we're going to play.

Your viewpoint appears very much based on "Need Guard, must have Guard, any Guard", it appears the FO liked athletic Avila and/or Bergeron but passed on stone footed massive maulers of Torrence and Bradford.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It may not inspire your confidence, but the FO appear quite content. They have a plan on how they're going to play and from indications the more athletic Avila and Bergeron fit that profile, where Torrence and Bradford didnt (its not as if we didnt fully test/meet with the latter pair).
Why are you trying to lump Avila and Bergeron - two completely different players - together?
Agree that we need contingencies, but at present they must be high on Waletzko, Richards and Edoga.....and not having confidence in those three smacks of being influenced by draft hype.
Or it’s entirely valid concern.

starfan1

Reaction score
But as a fan you (and I) have NO insight into the organizational aims.....especially on an Offense that's going into the season with a new OC, Line-coach and play-caller.

We havent got any insight into the value we have on our present options and you're just reiterating what draft experts are saying, when they themselves arent addressing players in the view of different organizational schemes. The one thing we do have an insight upon is that WE DIDNT TAKE TORRENCE and preferred Schoonmaker.....that indicates what the organization wanted and appears to give a distinct insight into how we're going to play.

Your viewpoint appears very much based on "Need Guard, must have Guard, any Guard", it appears the FO liked athletic Avila and/or Bergeron but passed on stone footed massive maulers of Torrence and Bradford.
I seen the cowboys line struggle in pass pro vs run blocking is why I wanted guard not draft experts because I seen more screaming TE than I did guard

I feel like the cupboard wasn’t bare at that spot

If Tyron stays healthy and Steele returns to form then my worries are for not, but given past history it’s doubtful

Bottom line is my faith in the cowboys brass to make best decisions are pretty low

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Why are you trying to lump Avila and Bergeron - two completely different players - together?

Or it’s entirely valid concern.
Avila and Bergeron would supposedly provide athletic traits at Guard that would provide pull and second level penetration, something neither Torrence or Bradford are expected to provide.

This gives an indication of how the line's going to be asked to help the running game and is probably why the FO also see the blocking Schoonmaker as integral to what we're planning.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Peters is old but still good. Great guy to have as a backup. Given that we didn't take oline early and often, there should be a roster spot for him. They should sign him now.
He sucks at OT...........but we haven't seen him suck at G at yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Avila and Bergeron would supposedly provide athletic traits at Guard that would provide pull and second level penetration, something neither Torrence or Bradford are expected to provide.
Not accurate or true. You’re throwing names out there making excuses. There’s no correlation between Avila and Bergeron.

This gives an indication of how the line's going to be asked to help the running game and is probably why the FO also see the blocking Schoonmaker as integral to what we're planning.
And will continue the trend of not being able to move opponents off the ball. And the goal line and short yardage struggles will continue as well.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He sucks at OT...........but we haven't seen him suck at G at yet.
Peters sucked at OT for a HOF player. For a 1mil veteran backup , he was great.

And I'm pretty sure that Peters did play LG for a while with us. Annoyingly, Pro Football Reference doesn't show the position played in the game log for a player.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
They missed on the second round pick reaching for a tight end that they coulda gotten in the 3rd or 4th round or something comparable. Shoulda taken Torrence.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Peters sucked at OT for a HOF player. For a 1mil veteran backup , he was great.

And I'm pretty sure that Peters did play LG for a while with us. Annoyingly, Pro Football Reference doesn't show the position played in the game log for a player.
I was talking about Ball. Anything we got out of Peters was a miracle. He's 41.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Cowboys love Chuma Edoga and Matt Farniok and really love Matt Waletzko. Plus they added Asim Richards. 5 starters plus Steele makes 10 OL.

Keep in mind they passed on Torrence for a reason and got a blocking machine TE because they thought he would upgrade the blocking game more than Torrance. And calling him a blocking TE is an insult to him. He can catch passes also.
I agree we have bodies. I'm just not sure we have starting caliber LG. I have always liked Farniok but we haven't seen him enough to know if he can handle it. I don't know much about Edoga but he hasn't exactly lit up the league. Waletzko is a T. So, we are back to who is the LG?

Why did they pass on Torrence?

starfan1

Reaction score
Yea, as recently we have struck out on Steele and Tyler.
do you know steele will be 100%? No you dont Do you know Tyron will stay healthy? no you dont. Do you have faith in the back ups? good for you if you do i dont share your optimism. Bottom line is i hope you are right and i am wrong but if you look at last years pass Protection (which a healthy steele could improve in) and are happy with it then Im not sure what to tell you.

Now run blocking were top 5 in league and we excel at that.

all that said it still dont make taking a TE that on paper is no better than what you have in the stable a priority over guard a wise move we will see.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

I have heard these criticisms and I can understand some of it.

However, we supposedly prioritized keeping the front of the pocket clean and being able to run the ball effectively.

Torrence handled the best competition in the country. He moved whoever was in front of him. TP doesn't need second level blocking as much as he needs a crease. Tyler needs someone beside him to help him absorb power. Sure we would all love the Quinton Nelson's who can do it all but I will darn sure take a G who is a mauler and not worry about him being a great movement guy. Especially, when our division is loaded with beef on the D lines. He & Tyler on the left side would match anyone's strength.

I'm sorry but I think I can create a "blocking TE" a lot easier than I can create a legit LG.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have heard these criticisms and I can understand some of it.

However, we supposedly prioritized keeping the front of the pocket clean and being able to run the ball effectively.

Torrence handled the best competition in the country. He moved whoever was in front of him. TP doesn't need second level blocking as much as he needs a crease. Tyler needs someone beside him to help him absorb power. Sure we would all love the Quinton Nelson's who can do it all but I will darn sure take a G who is a mauler and not worry about him being a great movement guy. Especially, when our division is loaded with beef on the D lines. He & Tyler on the left side would match anyone's strength.

I'm sorry but I think I can create a "blocking TE" a lot easier than I can create a legit LG.
And it’s funny hearing about getting to the second level, when the line can’t manage to get the initial blocks.

This sad philosophy has turned a powerful line that used to impose their will into a finesse line that gets pushed around.

Nowadays, when push comes to shove, they get shoved.