Why didn't we pick an offensive lineman with our first three picks you asked?

Creeper

Reaction score
Because who are we moving to the bench? Barring injury in training camp this is our starting group, IMO.

Tyron Smith LT
Tyler Smith LG
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Steele RT

Swing tackles/back up guards will be Waletzko/Peters and Ball
Waletzko is going to surprise many people here. We will draft a backup at the center position today.

If ya'll laugh at Tyron getting his job back at LT, go look at the Bucs and 49er games. ESPECIALLY the 49er name. The dude was kicking and taking names out there. When healthy he's still our best option at tackle.

You don't sit a first ballot HOFer when he's healthy and still playing very well.

I don't guarantee anything but I think this is what they were thinking last night.
I don't think a 2nd round draft pick necessarily has to start right away as a rookie. I get there is pressure to start a 1st round pick but remember last year when McCarthy would not commit to starting Tyler Smith over Connor McGovern?

Draft picks are about the future. Free Gents are about the present. This could be Tyron's last year.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
do you know steele will be 100%? No you dont Do you know Tyron will stay healthy? no you dont. Do you have faith in the back ups? good for you if you do i dont share your optimism. Bottom line is i hope you are right and i am wrong but if you look at last years pass Protection (which a healthy steele could improve in) and are happy with it then Im not sure what to tell you.

Now run blocking were top 5 in league and we excel at that.

all that said it still dont make taking a TE that on paper is no better than what you have in the stable a priority over guard a wise move we will see.
You said you had little faith in the FO making the right decisions....well the decisions to persevere with and move Steele to RT and drafting Tyler are just two examples of where they made extremely sound decisions.
I'll take their appraisal of the O-Line (and TE requirements) over your's.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
exactly!! like worrying about the taxes on your lotto jackpot winnings. it ain't a problem until you do step 1!!
Probably think Tyler (and Waletzko, Richards, Edoga) already are winning lottery tickets. It's the previous lottery tickets McGovern and Williams that failed.

31RoyW31

Reaction score
The second round TE pick was a mistake in my opinion. Sure the Cowboys could use a TE, but they really need to add quality at left guard. It was really the only pick that I had a problem with. I was very happy with the 1st and 4th round picks. Stopping the run will help both the defense and the offense. The defense couldn't get off the field too many times last year, so the offense got limited opportunities in some games. The 6th round RB pick was excellent value at that point.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Probably think Tyler (and Waletzko, Richards, Edoga) already are winning lottery tickets. It's the previous lottery tickets McGovern and Williams that failed.
You mean the McGovern that signed a lucrative contract with the Bills because they expressly wanted to firm up the interior of their O line? Then they followed that up by drafting Torrence. Looks like they are cashing in one lotto we already played and bought the one we should have last week.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Who's the runner Pollard or Ronald Jones just a reminder Pollard coming off injury. Honestly this will probably be his last year in Dallas
first off, why worry about 24, this is 23? we can draft more Rbs next year and or being in a vet.,.not rocket science.

for 2023,

RBBC a lot of speed and shifty backs plus hunter for short yardage and Some FB..

Pollards is the #1 his injury means nothing given hes had all offseason to heal what most call a 3month heal time..

Mix in,
Malik, Hunter, and Vaugn.

Jones could be the odd man out depends on how he plays in OTA, MC, TC and PS maybe he beats out Malik.

but how they feel about DV22 and the bonus they gave Hunter those 3 make the team so its Jones vs Malik as of now and if somehow, they decide to bring back EE, who knows.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You mean the McGovern that signed a lucrative contract with the Bills because they expressly wanted to firm up the interior of their O line? Then they followed that up by drafting Torrence. Looks like they are cashing in one lotto we already played and bought the one we should have last week.
Are you questioning McClay? Because it was evident in the Rd1 video he holds the respect of the whole organization. Maybe, just maybe if we wanted/needed that LG so much we would of pulled the plug and drafted Bradford in the 3rd??

blueblood70

Reaction score
that makes zero sense, sounds more like they aren't sure of either and hedging their bets. sorry but our FO obviously sees the best 5 starts the season, so we are set , if 77 gets hurt we kick 73 back to LT and use one of many OL we have here ie Chuma, Farniok, draft picks, UDFA, and then we have Wally and ball.

i mean how hard is it to replace CM anyway? we aren't replacing a PB or HOF player? AND you think p[ickig who fans wanted like Torrence etc is lock that solves the issue for the next decade?? Seriously, panic isn't a good look on fans. let the coaches get it figured out.

knock on Torrence bad knees and well hes a rookie with bad knees

blueblood70

Reaction score
The second round TE pick was a mistake in my opinion. Sure the Cowboys could use a TE, but they really need to add quality at left guard. It was really the only pick that I had a problem with. I was very happy with the 1st and 4th round picks. Stopping the run will help both the defense and the offense. The defense couldn't get off the field too many times last year, so the offense got limited opportunities in some games. The 6th round RB pick was excellent value at that point.
IYO Ill. stop there.. ill take the coaches and scouts opinions. TY

I believe they believe schoon is going to beat out Furgeson and Hendershot because hes a better blocker and higher draft ratings RAS scores etc that matches 83 pre-draft scores...still gives them 3 TES which BTW is what most teams carry but maybe we have a better 3 then most.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your feelings are very close to my own. I wish they had done more to acquire a true guard. The rest of the draft I think I’m OK with and willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Havic

Reaction score
The thing is the Cowboys see things we don’t see. They interview guys one on one…they have scouts who scout these players all year. All we do is look at film and think we know enough about the player. Maybe they are wrong….but they are following their board.
We dont always follow the board. I'm not saying he should have been the pick but to me it seemed clear Schoon was a reach. Sometimes need takes priority over BPA

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Because who are we moving to the bench? Barring injury in training camp this is our starting group, IMO.

Tyron Smith LT
Tyler Smith LG
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Steele RT

Swing tackles/back up guards will be Waletzko/Peters and Ball
Waletzko is going to surprise many people here. We will draft a backup at the center position today.

If ya'll laugh at Tyron getting his job back at LT, go look at the Bucs and 49er games. ESPECIALLY the 49er name. The dude was kicking and taking names out there. When healthy he's still our best option at tackle.

You don't sit a first ballot HOFer when he's healthy and still playing very well.

I don't guarantee anything but I think this is what they were thinking last night.
I don't think Steele will start the 1st week of the season because of his rehabbing.

Tyron Tyler Bia Martin Waletzko will start the season until Steele is back, imo.

If/when Tyron goes down we have many options. If waletzko showed something in his fill in time for Steele, he gets first crack.

I don't think ball makes the team. I think udfa earl outplays him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We dont always follow the board. I'm not saying he should have been the pick but to me it seemed clear Schoon was a reach. Sometimes need takes priority over BPA
I was under the impression it does. If they have two guys rated the same they go by need.

starfan1

Reaction score
You said you had little faith in the FO making the right decisions....well the decisions to persevere with and move Steele to RT and drafting Tyler are just two examples of where they made extremely sound decisions.
I'll take their appraisal of the O-Line (and TE requirements) over your's.
thats the beauty of it. everyone has opinions even if they end up being wrong, right now neither of know for sure what its going to pan out but you mentioned 2 that panned but that dont mean you cant make better ones. there are examples of more that didnt 27 years would back that up.But were done here it appears were both dug in until we get to the season.

Im not gonna blindly trust Will Mcclay or genius and his son. You are more than free to do that.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
thats the beauty of it. everyone has opinions even if they end up being wrong, right now neither of know for sure what its going to pan out but you mentioned 2 that panned but that dont mean you cant make better ones. there are examples of more that didnt 27 years would back that up.But were done here it appears were both dug in until we get to the season.

Im not gonna blindly trust Will Mcclay or genius and his son. You are more than free to do that.
Yep, we all have opinions, some are based on personal subjectivity and some concede that experts may well have better knowledge and an understanding of what the teams needs and plans are moving forward

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, we all have opinions, some are based on personal subjectivity and some concede that experts may well have better knowledge and an understanding of what the teams needs and plans are moving forward
Is it a bad thing to think for yourself?

Or is it better to blindly trust the organization that thought Chaz Green could play?

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I think the simpler explanation for why they didn't take an OL with the first three picks is that the only one they liked that was available in that range was Bergeron. He would have been the pick at 26 if not for Mazi and he didn't come close to making it to 58. They reportedly only had a 4th round grade on Avila. I doubt that they felt any better about Torrance. If they didn't get Bergeron on Day 1, I think they were targeting Day 3 to take an OL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the simpler explanation for why they didn't take an OL with the first three picks is that the only one they liked that was available in that range was Bergeron. He would have been the pick at 26 if not for Mazi and he didn't come close to making it to 58. They reportedly only had a 4th round grade on Avila. I doubt that they felt any better about Torrance. If they didn't get Bergeron on Day 1, I think they were targeting Day 3 to take an OL.
That definitely seems to have been their thinking. The question then becomes whether or not we feel that thinking was sound or flawed.

And based upon the past several years of results, I believe that it is flawed.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Are you questioning McClay? Because it was evident in the Rd1 video he holds the respect of the whole organization. Maybe, just maybe if we wanted/needed that LG so much we would of pulled the plug and drafted Bradford in the 3rd??
Did you read my post #119? Seems like you sorta jumped in the middle of comments between @Stash and myself and maybe not really on exactly the same page.

As for questioning? Yes, I question pretty much everything all the time. Not a matter of respect, simply the fact of the situation that everyone is analyzing and predicting. Everyone gets some right & some wrong. Their actions support that they are comfortable with what we already have. Maybe it works out that way but I won't apologize for saying that is a questionable \ risky position to take.