Why do People Keep Saying that we have the Talent?

kskboys

Reaction score
You seem intent on holding people accountable for what they said last year given the situation now.

I do not get the need to call people out when you could just say that we are losing a lot of talent to FA.
You are misreading my intent. My sole purpose is to try to understand why people are insisting we have plenty of talent when the holes in our lineup say otherwise.

You must be agenda driven to engage in such erroneous thinking.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because we do, every position can't have a top player. If we had 1 or 2 ACTUAL LBs and a true run stopping NT we would be good
There's the copout excuse again.

Hey, we are losing due to lack of talent in certain areas. That is blatantly clear. So maybe we need fewer pro bowlers and more good solid players?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Because Jerry is the GM. So obviously it’s not his fault that they don’t acquire enough talent.

kskboys

Reaction score
To be fair, better a homer than a hater.
Feels better anyway.

I can hope for the future.
Others can stew in bile and bitterness.

To be honest though, I’m pretty much a pragmatist and believe in rational takes even if they are hard.

I’ve said repeatedly I’m not averse to a rebuild but I’m realistic in my expectations, unlike some who believe firing the coach and cutting the QB, followed up with promoting Rush, Lance or drafting some rando QB in the 20s will keep us contending for the division. They must not remember post Aikman or post Staubach.

I try to avoid letting emotion consume me to the point where I feel the need to crap on fellow fans and that feels right to me.

Not always successful but try.
I prefer being neither. I'm actually a true realist. Not someone who claims they are in order to be negative. I always hope for the future. And while I'm hoping I'm trying to figure out what can be done to get into super bowl contention. Why? Simple, because I'm a problem solver, so I automatically try to solve issues. I never crapp on other fans, not in my nature.

kskboys

Reaction score
I never said that but playing 4 S's the entire game is some very poor coaching. Any knowledgeable DC should have known that a safety doesn't have the speed needed to stay with wideouts or the beef of a decent LBer to go heads up with an offensive lineman. The Cowboys roster is loaded with players playing out of position and it finally caught up to them against GB, who exploited Quinn and his over matched defense.
No, it's not, it's very poor roster building. We do not know if that was the DC's plan or if Jerry simply said here's what you get, do your best.

Agree completely, we have a pile of players playing out of position.

kskboys

Reaction score
I refuse to address that in this thread. QB's are monstrously hard to find, so taking into consideration the weaknesses of the one you have and building accordingly would be the best plan. Unfortunately, we are bad at evaluating players, so we don't build around anyone well.

zeke21

Reaction score
You are misreading my intent. My sole purpose is to try to understand why people are insisting we have plenty of talent when the holes in our lineup say otherwise.

Because every squad is going to have holes.. it is a salary cap league built for parity. This means you will usually see a bell curve form.. there will be 2-4 stand out dominant teams, 2-4 really weak teams and then 24-26 mid average to mid poor teams that are all fighting pretty evenly. For these teams it is the little things.. the coaches, the prep, the game plan, injuries, schedule etc etc. Any given sunday type stuff.

Our problem is that Jerry has sold that we are one of the 2-4 dominant teams.. when really we are very much in the mid range scrap.

SO yes we have holes, big holes, on a list and drafting a third TE was not a smart move but we can't expect to have dominant players at every position.. it doesn't work like that. That is where coaching and scheme MUST come into it. That is where you HAVE to rely on your top paid guys (usually your QB) to make those dollars count the most by elevating guys around him.

We had 9 pro bowlers.. that means your squad has got talent. Our special teams is pretty good. Our pass defence is pretty good. Our rushing is average. Our passing attack is our strength.
Our weakness is our rush defence.

So you plan around that.. and that is what we did and thus we won 12 games.

The problem.. the glaring problem.. is when you come up against good opposition and they find a way to take away your greatest strength (passing attack) and consistently attack your weak spot (rush defence). That is when we get blown out..and they go hand in hand.

We try to hid our rush defence weak spot but getting a lead, chewing the clock and forcing the opposition to play fast (ie pass the ball).

The reality is that every team has at least one weak spot.. I'm keen for us to not make it the rush defence but that means we have to take talent from somewhere else. So it is all about choices at this point.

HungryLion

Reaction score
They don’t even try to add more to make a run.

Remember the trade deadline “we are comfortable with our roster”.

Meanwhile other great teams like the Niners go out and make moves to improve.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas is not a talented team. Only football novices who don't pay attention to the games claim Dallas has lots of talent.

Dallas has the following:

One of the worst linebacker cores in the N.F.L

Average safeties

Zero Oline depth

Below average dline

No talented defensive tackles

Can't stop the run on the edge or in the middle

One of the worst middle of the field defenses in the N.F.L.

Can' run the ball

QB who wilts under pressure in big games

Below average wide receivers

No true #2 wide receiver

Average tight ends

This untalented bunch struggles with any team with a pulse above .500.
You guys crack me up
If that’s the case McCarthy should get an extension soon for getting to the playoffs with such a terrible roster

kskboys

Reaction score
Because every squad is going to have holes.. it is a salary cap league built for parity. This means you will usually see a bell curve form.. there will be 2-4 stand out dominant teams, 2-4 really weak teams and then 24-26 mid average to mid poor teams that are all fighting pretty evenly. For these teams it is the little things.. the coaches, the prep, the game plan, injuries, schedule etc etc. Any given sunday type stuff.

Our problem is that Jerry has sold that we are one of the 2-4 dominant teams.. when really we are very much in the mid range scrap.

SO yes we have holes, big holes, on a list and drafting a third TE was not a smart move but we can't expect to have dominant players at every position.. it doesn't work like that. That is where coaching and scheme MUST come into it. That is where you HAVE to rely on your top paid guys (usually your QB) to make those dollars count the most by elevating guys around him.

We had 9 pro bowlers.. that means your squad has got talent. Our special teams is pretty good. Our pass defence is pretty good. Our rushing is average. Our passing attack is our strength.
Our weakness is our rush defence.

So you plan around that.. and that is what we did and thus we won 12 games.

The problem.. the glaring problem.. is when you come up against good opposition and they find a way to take away your greatest strength (passing attack) and consistently attack your weak spot (rush defence). That is when we get blown out..and they go hand in hand.

We try to hid our rush defence weak spot but getting a lead, chewing the clock and forcing the opposition to play fast (ie pass the ball).

The reality is that every team has at least one weak spot.. I'm keen for us to not make it the rush defence but that means we have to take talent from somewhere else. So it is all about choices at this point.
I know, I keep being told that, and I consider it nothing but an excuse for having a poor GM. We focus and pay so much for a few stars that we're left w/ holes.

Absolutely no one is saying we need stars at every position. NO ONE. How many times do I have to say that?

However, what we do need is solid players at almost every position, and that we do not have.

OK, and what do we need to get a better rush D? A starting quality DT, at least 2 LB's, and a ballhawking FS. It's not that we need to take talent from elsewhere so much as we need to change our focus to the middle of the D.

kskboys

Reaction score
You guys crack me up
If that’s the case McCarthy should get an extension soon for getting to the playoffs with such a terrible roster
I thought he did a good job. Be nice to see what he can do w/ better players on the front 7 on D and a starting quality RB.

zeke21

Reaction score
I know, I keep being told that, and I consider it nothing but an excuse for having a poor GM. We focus and pay so much for a few stars that we're left w/ holes.

Absolutely no one is saying we need stars at every position. NO ONE. How many times do I have to say that?

However, what we do need is solid players at almost every position, and that we do not have.

OK, and what do we need to get a better rush D? A starting quality DT, at least 2 LB's, and a ballhawking FS. It's not that we need to take talent from elsewhere so much as we need to change our focus to the middle of the D.
I'd look to improve our LBs. Need a minimum of 2 pro grade LBs. I would give Mazi another year to sort it out.. yes it was an ugly rookie season but I'd still give him another year to see if he can be that run stuffing DT that we wanted. We spent a first round pick.. clearly they saw something. Just like the TE pick.. I would never spent more draft capital on the same position the year after.. back your judgement and try if you can coach them up rather than ship them out.

I think we are covered at FS myself.. I think there are a couple of guys that can fill that hole. Of course it is all dependent on keeping Bland and hoping Diggs comes back etc. But I don't actually think CB is our issue.

I think LB is a huge problem and I think we need another 2 D lineman.. but I'd used project players or try to get a retread to fill this gap. This will allow Micah to stand up on the line and have more flexibility on our rush packages.

I don't actually think our defence is as bad as people might think.. I think our QB put them in a really bad spot yet again in the playoff and it made them look a lot worse than they are. If we get 2 quality LBs and Mazi steps up and we retain the rest of the core group then I expect our defence will be able to do their job.

I think we need a new QB. I think that if you took this exact squad and put in an elite QB.. we would be having a different conversation right now about our needs in the draft.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Again. The season just ended. You are calling up the situation as it is now when they were talking about last season.

IOW, you are trying to understand what people have not been saying. Seems like a cheap attempt to generate controversy.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
We need 8-9 new players:

3 LBs
2-3 OLs
FS
DT(Maybe 2)
RB

Are people saying this just to say it? I mean, it's blatantly obvious that we do not have the players, what's up w/ claiming that we do?
We cannot erxpect to have 3 top notch LB's, and everyone thinks our next was Overshown, but who knows with him. OL should be a somewhat easy patch to fill, but one major one sits at LT. DT agreed, RB? No doubt

kskboys

Reaction score
We cannot erxpect to have 3 top notch LB's, and everyone thinks our next was Overshown, but who knows with him. OL should be a somewhat easy patch to fill, but one major one sits at LT. DT agreed, RB? No doubt
No one said anything about topnotch LB's, we simply need NFL quality LB's.

kskboys

Reaction score
Again. The season just ended. You are calling up the situation as it is now when they were talking about last season.

IOW, you are trying to understand what people have not been saying. Seems like a cheap attempt to generate controversy.
Do you spend all your time going around throwing cheap little insults? Man, get over yourself.

You are misreading this one badly. If you really have this much of a problem w/ discussions, just stay out of them. You're obviously not understanding this one at all, as you keep throwing weird stuff out there that is not even close to the thoughts here.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd look to improve our LBs. Need a minimum of 2 pro grade LBs. I would give Mazi another year to sort it out.. yes it was an ugly rookie season but I'd still give him another year to see if he can be that run stuffing DT that we wanted. We spent a first round pick.. clearly they saw something. Just like the TE pick.. I would never spent more draft capital on the same position the year after.. back your judgement and try if you can coach them up rather than ship them out.

I think we are covered at FS myself.. I think there are a couple of guys that can fill that hole. Of course it is all dependent on keeping Bland and hoping Diggs comes back etc. But I don't actually think CB is our issue.

I think LB is a huge problem and I think we need another 2 D lineman.. but I'd used project players or try to get a retread to fill this gap. This will allow Micah to stand up on the line and have more flexibility on our rush packages.

I don't actually think our defence is as bad as people might think.. I think our QB put them in a really bad spot yet again in the playoff and it made them look a lot worse than they are. If we get 2 quality LBs and Mazi steps up and we retain the rest of the core group then I expect our defence will be able to do their job.

I think we need a new QB. I think that if you took this exact squad and put in an elite QB.. we would be having a different conversation right now about our needs in the draft.
Only a couple things. We do not have a ballhawing FS, and that hurts our D badly.

I didn't address QB because that's such a worn out topic, and it's obvious it will be Dak anyway!!!