Why do the Cowboys seemingly bring their players down during contract time?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It's like they watched an isntructional 80's video on the art of negotiation and have stuck with those Machiavellian concepts all these years.

I literally know NFL agents who do not deal with Stephen at all by choice and hope their clients never get drafted by Dallas.

Chasing6

Reaction score
For starters, I feel as though Jerry and Stephen don't know nearly enough about player talent. With that being the case, negotiating just isn't their thing.
They constantly negotiate from a disadvantage and have no backup plan.

For example let's take CD this year.

How is our WR depth?
Did we add a WR in free agency?
Are we going to draft a WR in round 1 to create some leverage in negotiations?
If CD holds out what happens?

CD wins and wins BIG.

Parsons next year will be the same scenario.

How is our pass rush depth next year?
Will we add help in FA?
Will we draft a pass rusher this year?
If he holds out what happens?

Assuming just by picking up the 5th year or taging them will prevent a hold out is a mistake.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The posters who think Jerry has "Turned over a new stone" this offseason should never call Rambo a dreamer...seriously, Rambo is a fan for sure but imagine thinking Jerry Jones has seen the error in his ways at year 28....is there a chance Jerry cleans this roster..sure like less than 1%..what Rambo says has at least a 10% or higher chance of happening..He let Tyron walk and a bunch of backups because they cost to much and now "Jerry is about to play hard ball with his superstars!!" nah more likely he is just clearing money to sign all 3....

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don't get it
The first time in maybe forever, Jerry has actually realized he needs to make some tough choices. Not doing the same garbage he's done for 30 years and some are whining? He's basically admitting he screwed up signing Dak and he's going to clear this cap hell. It's going to take a season or two for corrections. He let Smith walk, should trade Parsons, and sign CeeDee. Continue to build the lines.

That's a championship formula, doubling down on stupid like he done for the past 30 years is not.
Go Jerry, and that maybe the first time those words have ever passed my lips
What cap hell? The Cowboys are looking at upwards of $100 million of space, at minimum $83 million, in 2025. This total includes any potential $40 million of dead money owed Dak in the event he is gone. If they sign Dak to an extension, their 2025 cap space could actually approach $120 million! This means they can afford to sign Dak, Lamb, and Parsons and still have lots of space left over!

Anything you hear and read to the contrary is false. A season or two for corrections? Hardly. The Cowboys want you to believe they are strangled by the cap because they don't want to spend. And fans believe it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m fully convinced this season is all about getting Dak for 55m a year instead of 60 and calling it a huge win for the franchise.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I’m fully convinced this season is all about getting Dak for 55m a year instead of 60 and calling it a huge win for the franchise.
Dak is being paid $42M this year. $29M and $13M sign on bonus prorated. The other $13M was GM Jethro adjusting the cap from previous years.

Chasing6

Reaction score
:hammer:.....I lol that people associate Jerry Jones as a smart business man. He's literally ran this brand right into the ground. And you can see it....by how we can't sign people in free agency. Think a lot of people are making the assumption....this front office is just skipping free agency....when the reality is....no one wants to come here.
That's why he is positioning it to be sold.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
They constantly negotiate from a disadvantage and have no backup plan.

For example let's take CD this year.

How is our WR depth?
Did we add a WR in free agency?
Are we going to draft a WR in round 1 to create some leverage in negotiations?
If CD holds out what happens?

CD wins and wins BIG.

Parsons next year will be the same scenario.

How is our pass rush depth next year?
Will we add help in FA?
Will we draft a pass rusher this year?
If he holds out what happens?

Assuming just by picking up the 5th year or taging them will prevent a hold out is a mistake.
this 100%

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:huh:

How are the Cowboys in cap hell when they could gain $100M if they wanted too?
because they want to let this season play out before committing.
The offense and defense are in flux, Quinn gone, Mike on life support, and the QB (who will remain nameless) . I don't believe for a minute Jerry would have let Smith walk unless he felt he needed too.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Dak is being paid $42M this year. $29M and $13M sign on bonus prorated. The other $13M was GM Jethro adjusting the cap from previous years.
I meant on the new deal. This year is obviously settled unless they restructure or release him.

It makes sense to me that they have already approached him about an extension/restructure at a certain amount and were told to get lost.

People can think Jerry and his kid have leverage all they want. All Prescott has to do is get through this year healthy and he can choose where he wants to go and get big dollars to do it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I meant on the new deal. This year is obviously settled unless they restructure or release him.

It makes sense to me that they have already approached him about an extension/restructure at a certain amount and were told to get lost.

People can think Jerry and his kid have leverage all they want. All Prescott has to do is get through this year healthy and he can choose where he wants to go and get big dollars to do it.
It would make a lot of sense with a legit GM, I would assume nothing with GM Jethro.

Just him saying contract talks will heat up before camp is ridiculous. If we resign him then, what is the point, FA is pretty much over.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It would make a lot of sense with a legit GM, I would assume nothing with GM Jethro.

Just him saying contract talks will heat up before camp is ridiculous. If we resign him then, what is the point, FA is pretty much over.
That’s what I mean. Why bother at that point? You won’t be able to extend him for anything less than very close to top of the market. May as well make him play out the season before doing it.

But, I mean the whole thing just looks awful to the rest of the team. Either commit or move on. They really just don’t know how to read a room or have much of an idea of what they are doing.

Anyone who thinks this is the pattern of an eventual champion is nuts. Folks can call me negative all they want but this is all about to get ugly and they did it to themselves by insisting on running everything when they aren’t qualified to do so, but since narcissists that aren’t even billionaires think the rest of the world is beneath them…..

Chasing6

Reaction score
That’s what I mean. Why bother at that point? You won’t be able to extend him for anything less than very close to top of the market. May as well make him play out the season before doing it.

But, I mean the whole thing just looks awful to the rest of the team. Either commit or move on. They really just don’t know how to read a room or have much of an idea of what they are doing.

Anyone who thinks this is the pattern of an eventual champion is nuts. Folks can call me negative all they want but this is all about to get ugly and they did it to themselves by insisting on running everything when they aren’t qualified to do so, but since narcissists that aren’t even billionaires think the rest of the world is beneath them…..
It just shows his complete incompetence in front of the entire world.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Serious question...Did they do it with guys like Demarcus Ware, Romo, Witten, Zach? Players they loved? I think they only do it to guys they don't really like that much or at least only like enough to keep as cheap as possible. I think right now they may be more in the "El Paso" phase with most of these players, given how they've looked in playoff games.
Sneaky good point. How often have we heard negative things leaked to the media only for the Cowboys to resign that player? Dangerous to draw a firm conclusion based on that alone, but it is an interesting thought. It does give slight credibility maybe not directly to the negative words on the player involved but to the Cowboys opinion of that player.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Serious question...Did they do it with guys like Demarcus Ware, Romo, Witten, Zach? Players they loved? I think they only do it to guys they don't really like that much or at least only like enough to keep as cheap as possible. I think right now they may be more in the "El Paso" phase with most of these players, given how they've looked in playoff games.
GM Jethro thinks he went all in last year by adding Cooks and Gilmore.

stiletto

Reaction score
GM Jethro thinks he went all in last year by adding Cooks and Gilmore.
I don't think they are that stupid. I mean they are weird and do "rich" people things a lot but not stupid. I think they also hate giving guys huge money. Even if they actually like the player, much less "kind" of like him. Frankly after the GB game, not sure how anyone likes many of these players...they seem gutless but maybe I am just still disgusted. LOL

Rayman70

Reaction score
CASH. The new mode of operation is all Stevie Jones doing. I have little doubt. A few years go this wasn't what we did with Jerry running everything. If anything, he would raise the market value. This dude is like Scrooge McDuck.
R.62ae76b5369bd613d33fa7ed894c3e53

fivetwos

Reaction score
It just shows his complete incompetence in front of the entire world.
Oh it’s coming. Most agree it’s likely MM doesn’t return.

Who is the most likely successor? Another tired scheme 90s guy so Jerry can still appear to be in charge should they happen to win, and entertain various celebrities on game day and at practice. Everyone knows he is the boss. That’s how his ego wants it.

It’s all based on a lie, and they are at a major disadvantage vs the rest of the league in the front office. Their philosophy has no chance to work and it’s been proven repeatedly.