Why do we care what players get paid?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We want to see a championship team built. If uncapped we wouldnt care.
That is an assumption by many that no cap, this brain trust gets better at their job. The same one that has had the smallest salary base since 2016.

If there was no cap, the players salaries would not be as high. Look at the increase since the cap came into being, that set the minimum. Salaries are a byproduct of the cap. And only one guy has figured the cap out since it came into being. The others drift in and out of contention.

Here's the error in that thinking. We assume that is it only the cap that keeps the Cowboys form being more of a contender but is that fact? It is their failure to properly evaluate talent, and what to pay that talent, that is the real problem? If the drafted better, they wouldn't have a cap issue at all.

Swanny

Reaction score
All of this angst over Prescott and his salary to be, why does anyone care that's not paying it? Do you see a better option at QB to win now? Not in the future, win now with this team?

The thinking that he cuts a deal and they'll spend that on D studs, where does that come from? They've been the smallest spenders on salaries since 2016. They brought in Quinn who was fine as a pass rusher but not a good run defender and they went 8-8. They traded for him, they didn't go big in FA for him. They're not players in FA.

I don't care what they pay anybody, that's not football, that's not even a sport. This cap management stuff is utter nonsense.

I want my team to have the best possible players beginning with the ones I know about that have already shown it. That's why I want to keep Prescott, Cooper and Jones because I don't know the options and I think they give this team it's best chance to turn things back north.

If you are concerned about the future, that's different but I am not. I only care about this season and I have no idea what's going to happen to that cap or QB salaries but I suspect both are going up considerably.

I don't care if Prescott is the highest paid QB or Cooper as the WR or Jones as the CB because comparing them to others and salary comparing is ridiculous, we do not have access to those players. They are either worth keeping or they or not or they have a reasonable option to replace them. And there is no rookie at those 3 positions that is going to be as good as those 3 players.

These negotiations have taken over the forum and we're spending more time on the evil of the game, the money, than the game itself. You going to watch these players cash game checks or play on the field?

If you feel there are better options, FOR THIS SEASON, than these 3 players, that is one thing but money isn't the factor. This team is loaded to go hunting now, that's why this HC was hired, to turn this north and win now. Are they a true contender? Not sure but any one of those 3 players is removed makes it tougher.

This forum is supposed to be about football, not economics.
I assume someone said it already but I think people care about the amount of cap space each player takes up not necessarily the amount of money they are actually making. If there were no salary cap nobody would care

MaineBoy

Reaction score
“Fans are concerned about the salary cap and having one player eat up a high percentage of it. It can result in not being able to re-sign other players and top free agents.”

OP, Let’s try to help you; let’s pay Dak 200 million a year so we will have 1.2 million left in the salary cap to pay the other 52 players. I suck at math but I think that leaves an average of $ 22,000 per player. Think it will be hard to find good players that will take a salary of $22,000 ?
Overpaying players, especially average ones like Dak, is the exact opposite approach of this other franchise called the New England Patriots. They do pretty well, especially compared to our results. So that’s why what Dak gets paid matters.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Do you get your TV for free, all your goods, your tickets, your stuff at the games, your jerseys and memorabilla.

Who pays for all those salaries,? Jerry or the fans?
not sure what the point of this was......the salary cap is based on league revenue, which comes from tickets+TV+ etc...… so stop watching? stop going to games? etc. …..at some point the price may reach a level no one will watch or go to the games, but all the games are sold out and the NFL ratings are high, so there is plenty who can afford it (I can't).

and there is a cap, 53 player salaries have to fit in the cap and there is also a salary floor....it can't be below a certain level....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Fans are concerned about the salary cap and having one player eat up a high percentage of it. It can result in not being able to re-sign other players and top free agents.
I think what you said is key...

I think this year given our salary cap, no dead money, and ability to create more salary cap is the time we can sign anyone we want and its a league driven by stars and top 10% players in key positions...you are not going to win with a team full of average to above average players

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I would venture to say that every good you buy is in some way advertised on TV, so no the TV stations don't pay - you do. TV stations are not non-profits!

You might as well be saying that the Movie Theatres pay actors salaries - not you!
its called business.....the cost of advertisement is built into the price of the goods.....if it gets too high, people stop buying...…...the fact that people still buy means the price is not too high...yet....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
“Fans are concerned about the salary cap and having one player eat up a high percentage of it. It can result in not being able to re-sign other players and top free agents.”

OP, Let’s try to help you; let’s pay Dak 200 million a year so we will have 1.2 million left in the salary cap to pay the other 52 players. I suck at math but I think that leaves an average of $ 22,000 per player. Think it will be hard to find good players that will take a salary of $22,000 ?
Overpaying players, especially average ones like Dak, is the exact opposite approach of this other franchise called the New England Patriots. They do pretty well, especially compared to our results. So that’s why what Dak gets paid matters.

Let me help you click “reply” on my post to quote me or I won’t receive an alert.:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be better, could be worse. I mean that's obvious. So I dont understand a question so simple.
Your post referred to this team spending smartly, that's what my response was to because do we think they're going to get better with more cap space? Because they haven't and no team in their right mind has 4 OL in the top 6 paid at their position and then makes their RB the highest paid in history and runs the ball 42% of the time.

This is a team when they get a keeper, we'd better hope they keep him because the odds of them getting another player as good are not good. This is a team that has to work with windows, I believe that window is open right now for the next two years and that doesn't mean I think they will go to the SB but their chances are the best to get there.

They have to max out while that OL is still together and in form and LT is something to keep an eye on and LG for sure.

RT6, comes down to whether one thinks this FO is lucky or good and I am all over that lucky side.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That really didn't help me and you not only suck at math but examples. Why don't you be realistic and make that figure the high side at 40M? I am really good at math and realize that's only 5M more than Wilson with the cap increasing about 12M and they fielded a playoff team.

They have the money right now because they're the 4th ranked team under the cap and this is about going for it now and next year, do not forget that point. This is all about jumping through that window while it's open. They will have to adjust down the road because they have too much to too few but that's what most teams, not in NE, do when they're making a run for it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That is an assumption by many that no cap, this brain trust gets better at their job. The same one that has had the smallest salary base since 2016.

If there was no cap, the players salaries would not be as high. Look at the increase since the cap came into being, that set the minimum. Salaries are a byproduct of the cap. And only one guy has figured the cap out since it came into being. The others drift in and out of contention.

Here's the error in that thinking. We assume that is it only the cap that keeps the Cowboys form being more of a contender but is that fact? It is their failure to properly evaluate talent, and what to pay that talent, that is the real problem? If the drafted better, they wouldn't have a cap issue at all.

Well i wouldnt say they would be better. Just that i wouldnt care if they overpaid players anymore. Or if they waste money. Dead cap wouldnt be an issue. Wed still have a problem here like most teams.

Flamma

Reaction score
All of this angst over Prescott and his salary to be, why does anyone care that's not paying it? Do you see a better option at QB to win now? Not in the future, win now with this team?

I think you already know the answer to this question, but I'll entertain it anyway because I have nothing better to do at the moment. If there wasn't a salary cap I couldn't give a rodent's posterior what they paid players. Was any Cowboys fan back in '93 on Jerry's side during the Emmitt hold out? No! Everyone said pay the man Jerry, you damn bum! But a lot of people think Dak isn't someone that special that can't be replaced with a rookie contract. We got 9, 10, and 8. Those are the wins after his rookie 2016 season. One of those wins given to us by the Eagles. So it should read 8, 10, and 8. So now we're going to pay the position and expect a miracle? Is our team going to improve? No, it's not. It will be harder to keep the players from those seasons. Paying Dak is a recipe for disaster, not success. Besides, I have a feeling we're looking at 2021, forget 2020. That's all but done.

Adreme

Reaction score
It's one in the same. You can argue it from the supply side or the demand side.....

I would enjoy the Cowboys winning just as much right now if the whole NFL was replaced with replacement players. In 2-3 years the game would never miss them!

Except all that would mean is the exact same prices and costs for consumers but the owners making about 8x what they are now which is why again, it does not matter what the players make in your argument because the owners are not going to let net revenue go down.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
If there were no salary cap I wouldn't care what any of them were paid......but there IS a salary cap.........the pie is only so big and once it's eaten it's all gone. The bigger slice of the pie you give to a few players it diminishes the quality of players you're able to obtain to complete the rest of the puzzle.

Had Brady had the "I want to be the highest paid" mentality that this team is infected with he wouldn't have 6 rings. He understood the philosophy of the business that the better talent he surrounded himself with the better chance he could win more super bowls and it worked out pretty well for him. I've seen posts on here citing because of Jerry's wealth players should get paid more than their market value totally oblivious to the need of a quality supporting cast.

I remember the good old days when contracts and player salaries were not even discussed......we actually talked about players instead.