Why do we suck at drafting defensive tackles?

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
First let me say this isn't a thread to take a shot at Mozzy. this is more of an overall question. Over the last few years we seem to be good or great at drafting almost every other position but for some reason we just can't figure out defensive tackle Other than osa. Who else was a good to Great defensive tackle that we have drafted over the last few years. :(

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We haven't been good at QB, LB, or RB either.
Zeke? Pollard?

LB is 50/50. if they are injured or injury prone, don't draft them. that simple.

we don't draft QBs high enough to determine if we are good at it or not. we just take 6th or 7th round flyers.we refuse to take them high u.;

we suck at DTs...I mean suck. we are pretty good at OL. pretty good at WR and TE, DBs. not good at safties.

gtb1943

Reaction score
IF our current young LBs pan out, at least that weak area is being shored up.
RB, its more a case of NOT TRYING to draft good talent
but clearly DT is our worst showing
basically we have not drafted a real DT that made a difference since Jay Ratliff

gtb1943

Reaction score
Zeke? Pollard?

LB is 50/50. if they are injured or injury prone, don't draft them. that simple.

we don't draft QBs high enough to determine if we are good at it or not. we just take 6th or 7th round flyers.we refuse to take them high u.;

we suck at DTs...I mean suck. we are pretty good at OL. pretty good at WR and TE, DBs. not good at safties.
QB we actually have done well if you look at investment versus return; no pick for Tony and a fourth for Dak
Pollard was kind of iffy; between injuries and whatever he never really panned out

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
First let me say this isn't a thread to take a shot at Mozzy. this is more of an overall question. Over the last few years we seem to be good or great at drafting almost every other position but for some reason we just can't figure out defensive tackle Other than osa. Who else was a good to Great defensive tackle that we have drafted over the last few years. :(
It's primarily where we draft them. We're expecting starters in the third round and beyond. Look at Philly: Milton Williams, a third-round pick, is a decent player, but the Eagles haven't really relied on him to carry the position. Instead, they've primarily spent early to mid-first-round picks on the starters (Fletcher Cox-now retired, Jordan Davis, Jalen Carter).

We've spent one first-round pick on the position since 2005. Players taken in the fifth-seventh rounds (Quinton Bohanna, John Ridgeway, Justin Rogers) are always long shots to make an impact. I don't know how Mazi will turn out, and I definitely don't think Dallas is great at drafting DTs, but when you spend one first-round pick on the position in almost 20 years, this is what you're usually going to get unless you are lucky.

Since Parcells left, we've drafted five DTs in the first through third rounds. Parcells drafted five in two drafts (2005 and 2006), but he also was switching to the 3-4 so he needed the right kind of players for that. He also brought in NT Jason Ferguson, so he essentially completely rebuilt the line those two years (Spears, Canty, Ratliff, Ferguson, Hatcher and UDFA Stephen Bowen).

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Because there aren’t very many good defensive tackles and it’s probably the riskiest position to draft because most guys are mediocre at best.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It’s a problem.

They have used premium picks, mid round picks, late picks, and have signed cheap free agents yet the DT room remains poor.

The only strategy left is to actually open the wallet for a proven one or two, but good luck on that ever happening. Gotta save the money for the jersey sellers, then get trucked up the gut against better teams in the playoffs.

It’s shameful because this team would have a real chance….or at least a much better one…if management could figure this out.

Swanny

Reaction score
We haven't been good at QB, LB, or RB either.
Dak was a 4th rd pick. That's a homerun. Before that we had Romo. There was no reason to put any capital into drafting a QB.

Zeke was a great draft pick. Demarco Murray was a great draft pick. Marion Barber was a good draft pick. Julius Jones and Felix were misses. But I wouldn't say the Cowboys are bad at drafting RB's.

LB I would probably agree they have been bad at drafting. Although Michah is the best draft pick possible. LVE was good until the neck Injury. Jaylon Smith was a big mistake. Randy Gregory was a joke. Damien Wilson was OK. Anthony Hitchens was a good pick.

DT drafting is terrible. Just putrid.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why not say, “The Cowboys are one of the best drafting teams in the NFL except for DT” but instead you chose “

Why do we suck at drafting defensive tackles?”​

Just an observation.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Why not say, “The Cowboys are one of the best drafting teams in the NFL except for DT” but instead you chose “

Why do we suck at drafting defensive tackles?”​

Just an observation.
just another excuse for Jethro

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because there aren’t very many good defensive tackles and it’s probably the riskiest position to draft because most guys are mediocre at best.
You’re actually right. I watch these drafts year in and year out….what is Jordan Davis doing? Or Kinlaw? There’s just no way to tell who will come in and shore your line up for you. Very tough position to find especially a one tech.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pretty much this....Most teams are not good at drafting DTs, at least to what fans expect out of a DT. Finding a guy 290+ who can get to the QB is extremely rare. Also the fan theory that you can just plug in a fat guy who wont get pushed out isn't really true. In the modern game you need guys on the interior who can penetrate, but also move side to side and shed blocks. It really is a rare body size and skill set combo to find.