Why do we suck so bad in free agency?

cowboygo

Reaction score
So I’m lying? This teams premium picks came on defense?
1. We suck at evaluating on defense.
2. We have two 1st rd WRs, a 1st rd RB. Three 1st rd OL with one retiring prematurely.

If we're going back to Tyron smith as the inital point. We've invested 1st rounders on defensive players who are no longer on the team as Corso showed:
Mo claiborne, byron jones, taco charlton.

LVE had one good year. And all the 2nd rounders have underwhelmed, even Gregory who took him a while to produce. We have invested on defense.

Only "premium" pick was Zeke, according to your definition of premium. We still sucked at picking on defense with 1st rounders.

If only we hit on half of our 1st and 2nd round investments on defense, we'd be fine. We are left with hopefuls only.

basel90

Reaction score
Drafting is all fine and dandy, we don’t even do that well....

But we are flat out terrible in free agency...get cheap scrubs of whom many don’t even make the team or get cut after a few games
Change your avatar . Zeke is not a star anymore . He is a burden .

raven55

Reaction score
I have saw a large dip in dumb taking of has been and some never will be free agents, will mcclay the director of the last draft and free agent is doing this beause he's not the wonder boy for Jerry or because of one time he lucked out or maybe he's doing this to get a way out of dallas if so somebody buy him a bus ticket. Unfortunately also you have a owner that's going the way of Al Davis and his son that thinks he's mid-age genius. Look at the esteem draft picks linebacker draft neck injury history 1st round material. Taco he was drafted because the Romper room people picked him over TJ WATT how did that turn out just saying. This trent will keep on to the day jerry hits the dirt.

Hadenough

Reaction score

But we are flat out terrible in free agency...get cheap scrubs of whom many don’t even make the team or get cut after a few games
Because the GM is cheap and hates players with attitude. They didnt even bother to bring in the Tyran Mathieu when he was a FA. They could of traded with the Jets for Leonard Williams for a 3rd and 5th but they are too cheap. They are always looking for a bargain bringing in some washed up has been DTs.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Change your avatar . Zeke is not a star anymore . He is a burden .
Hey I like Zeke but I tend to agree. He lacks stamina and speed he should to be moved to fullback for goal line situations.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Why? Because we don't have a GM familiar with the players in the league. Jerry is more of a ceremonial GM. There is no system or consistent vision of what "cowboy football" looks like. Therefore, when we look at players to bring in, we have no idea whose going to fit and thrive on our team.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we like our guys and we don't want to bring anyone who will question their country club attitude.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The family vacations during the first week of FA have something to do with it. They really think they're being clever but it's really mere laziness. Take yourself out of the running intentionally so you can wait on bargains. Teams with foresight don't just wait and see @ every turn. You have to be aggressive at some point.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We still pass up way too many obvious choices that would improve our team dramatically.
Which goes with not putting much focus on free agents. I didn't say that was always a good thing.

Sydla

Reaction score
In most recent years, it's been because we were cheap. They also overvalued the previous coaching staff's ability to get the most out of average players.

I mean when Nolan Carroll is one of your crown jewel signings one year, thinking that would work out well shows the stupidity of this front office (and relying on Marinelli for input).

Swagger

Reaction score
1. We suck at evaluating on defense.
2. We have two 1st rd WRs, a 1st rd RB. Three 1st rd OL with one retiring prematurely.

If we're going back to Tyron smith as the inital point. We've invested 1st rounders on defensive players who are no longer on the team as Corso showed:
Mo claiborne, byron jones, taco charlton.

LVE had one good year. And all the 2nd rounders have underwhelmed, even Gregory who took him a while to produce. We have invested on defense.

Only "premium" pick was Zeke, according to your definition of premium. We still sucked at picking on defense with 1st rounders.

If only we hit on half of our 1st and 2nd round investments on defense, we'd be fine. We are left with hopefuls only.
Byron Jones was an All Pro in 2018. He should have always been used as a Cornerback not a safety at the start not wasted for three years as a safety. I agree Claiborne was a train wreck (plus we gave up draft capital to acquire him) and Taco well less said the better.

I see the defense being top 12 next season. Better DC, less injuries hopefully and we will surely focus on defense in the next draft.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Because you get what you pay for. The guys we sign every offseason and then eventually cut, nobody ever wants.
100% on the money. They also seem to think overpaying their own people makes them above FA. Where's the money to spend in FA when we spent it to keep these avg players. "we already did FA" is the gist and it's been going on for awhile now.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Byron Jones was an All Pro in 2018. He should have always been used as a Cornerback not a safety at the start not wasted for three years as a safety. I agree Claiborne was a train wreck (plus we gave up draft capital to acquire him) and Taco well less said the better.

I see the defense being top 12 next season. Better DC, less injuries hopefully and we will surely focus on defense in the next draft.
If they stayed put the picks would have likely been Brockers and Wagner.

Wow. I can't say I was heaving remotes at the TV at the time, just saying things sometimes work out, and sometimes they dont.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If they stayed put the picks would have likely been Brockers and Wagner.

Wow. I can't say I was heaving remotes at the TV at the time, just saying things sometimes work out, and sometimes they dont.
Yep. I can knock them of the pick but at the time I can't be mad at there approach. You signed Brandon Carr and drafted the best corner in the draft....

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score

The overall approach to finding talent in FA changed after the Greg Hardy debacle along with the totally mind numbing acquisition of Brandon Carr at astronomical market value. Carr was a good player but no near what we paid for him to get him from KC. Then you throw in the absolute PR nightmare of Hardy and we instantaneously became the NFL dollar tree shopping gang. We stay looking for vets past their prime who want to take team friendly deals with hopes of our past prestige and marketing some how makes them want to wear the star. I personally think right now JJ is the biggest snake oil salesman in the world because he sells a product that has been one the worst in the past 25 years so you see teams are by passing us in the FA market getting certified difference makers while we keep getting used Band-Aids to cover wounds that need 250 stitches to fix.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yep. I can knock them of the pick but at the time I can't be mad at there approach. You signed Brandon Carr and drafted the best corner in the draft....
The one part you can argue is those two were acquired to fit the Ryan defense....then they fired him soon thereafter and went to a scheme that didn't value corners IIRC.