Why draft a back 4th overall if you’re not willing to pay him?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
They signed Elliott with the hopes that Romo would win us a championship when he got another high-end RB. That didn't happen in 2014 and it didn't happen in 2016.

Turns out you need a very good defense to win championships.

Rayman70

Reaction score
ANSWER TO THE OP. He IS BEING PAID. HE HAS 2 years remaining. Did he not agree to and sign it? Maybe I am missing something. If he just come into camp, works hard, plays like he can play this year, I guarantee you, Jerry and Booger will make him the highest paid RB in 2020. Its give and take.

J-man

Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

(I posted this on another thread but I'm coping it here too.)

So I was doing some research of my own and if I have all the numbers correct, to-date, Zeke has been paid a total of $17,015,658 for 3 years of work in Dallas. **However, that's less whatever he lost due to his suspension (but that's on him anyway).

He's owed $7,940,655 in 2019 and we already picked up his 5th yr option for 2020 at $9,099,000. A total of $17,039,655 for the next 2 yrs, guaranteed.
If we tag him in 2021, it will be (currently) at $11,353,000 and $13,622,400 if we do it again in 2022. For those next 4 yrs, the total would be $42,014,055, guaranteed.
The guaranteed grand total for his first 7 years as Dallas Cowboy would be $59,029,713. An ave. of $8,432,816/yr.
And he wants a raise!

If we are some how able to sign Dak, Cooper and Zeke all basically at the same time, than I say do it. Here's your offer Zeke:
First we tear up the current contracts for 2019 and 2020.
Next we offer him to a new 5 year, $60 million contract. $52m guaranteed with a $35m signing bonus.
Break down:
Year Base Bonus Cap Hit
2019 $14m $7m $21m
2020 $14m $7m $21m
2021 $13m $7m $20m
2022 $11m $7m $18m
2023 $8m $7m $15m

I kind of see this as a win/win. He gets the $60m number he's pining for. He's guaranteed $ will be paid off in the first 4 years of the deal, same as tagging him and basically for only another $10m more than we would have paid him anyway. We get him for 5yrs instead of 4. He will be a Dallas Cowboy for the first 8 years of his NFL career, getting paid a grand total of $ 77,015,658 which is an ave. of $9,626,957/yr.

What ya'll think?

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
He is getting paid. Maybe not what his agent wants but will be a fair deal. He will be the highest paid till the next big RB gets paid.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Zeke is doing the right thing by holding out now. The league is rigged against players - especially against running backs. They should get what they can while they can. Everyone is aware of the avg lifespan for RBs, so for him to wait another year or two to get his big payday would be giving away what little leverage he has. This is the system and he is playing the system like he should.

Qcard

Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.
Because we are now realizing our 4th overall pick has a chronic and habitual knuckle head problem off the field....

This is not rocket science... Cowboys want Zeke contract structured so they are not left handcapped WHEN Zeke misses games

kskboys

Reaction score
Zeke is doing the right thing by holding out now. The league is rigged against players - especially against running backs. They should get what they can while they can. Everyone is aware of the avg lifespan for RBs, so for him to wait another year or two to get his big payday would be giving away what little leverage he has. This is the system and he is playing the system like he should.
Rigged against players? Victim complex much?

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
willing to pay him and 2 years early with other big contracts is something totally different. You could throw in a suspension or two as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.
Great question!
It doesn’t make any sense.

aikemirv

Reaction score

It really is not even close to a reasonable comment when the guy is holding out after year 3 with 2 years left. Why bother with a CBA then, draft slotting and contract length

I mean that's just stupid!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Team Cap Management
- He has 2 years remaining under contract.
- Teams manage the cap based on the rules of contracts that were determined by the CBA.
- If all players that perform well on their rookie contracts holdout with 2 years remaining under contract, it would become impossible for teams to manage the cap.

In a more general answer, the primary value of draft picks with regards to non-QBs is the fact that they are less expensive while on their rookie contracts as compared to just signing a free agent.
- That concept does not apply to QBs because there is rarely if ever a great QB available in free agency.​

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
They don't. Because Brady's short passing game functions as their ball control O, so they don't need one.
Exactly!
And I love it.

No team should pay none elite pass catchers big bucks. You put yourself at a disagvantage

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Rigged against players? Victim complex much?
Not at all. Just calling it like it is. It's not a secret that the NFLPA is the weakest of the pro sports unions and that players have gotten the raw end of the deal in CBA negotiations because of it - leading to the NFL being the only major sports league without fully guaranteed contracts.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Is it just me or didn’t they agree to pay him for five years when they drafted him number 4? Is it just me, or did he sign that agreement, take their money, break the agreement, agree to the new terms, take their money again, and now wants to break it again. Confusing right?

The bottom line is Zeke signed a contract. He’s the dummy who went and made himself an unmarketable product. He could be the face of the worlds most valuable sports franchise. How much would that be worth? He screwed that up. Not Jerry, not Dak, not the press, and not his agent. Ezekiel Elliot put himself in stupid positions, and showed the world his judgement is horrible and now he wants more money and can’t get it because he can’t be marketed such as guys like Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Marcus Allen, or Beast Mode. This would be a non issue if Zeke wasn’t a typical D1 meathead who has felt self entitled ever since grade school because of what he can do with a football in his hands. Now it’s a make or break moment in his life and he’s choosing a losing strategy. Even if he gets paid by JJ, he will lose fans. Another sign of poor judgment. #21 should be so stacked with endorsements that he doesn’t care about his contract.He needs to man up, and take a reasonable offer before he ends up setting out of football for the next 4 years...

Since I can only like it once, I will quote it for another one!!:hammer:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm still trying, but it's getting tougher to like EZ.
I can’t stand the kid. Frikin thug like behavior. What’s to like personally? Many great Cowboys over the years I despised off the field.

This is the NFL. It’s not personal . Strictly business. But need and want his talent. At least until we have a suitable replacement.

Let him go and lower our expectations at least this year. This offense struggles and has enough concerns without losing him. But at least we’d have a new scapegoat and excuses.

kskboys

Reaction score
Exactly!
And I love it.

No team should pay none elite pass catchers big bucks. You put yourself at a disagvantage
Yeah, but the problem is, what Brady does is actually extremely difficult. He makes it look easy, but that short passing game is also subject to pick sixes and fumbles.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score

They are willing to pay him. But he wants the most money ever for a RB in NFL history. It's not like they aren't even willing to pay him a big salary. But he has been a knucklehead a number of times and gotten in trouble with the league as a result. He is also in a position that you can break down in a hurry (think Marion Barber). Can you take on that much risk to your salary cap. That is the question.