Why has Jason Garrett not been called out?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2396842 said:
You won't find many that would do well when their Starting QB go down and your backup has 0 physical abilities.

I'd be shocked if anyone could do well with a 40 year old Brad Johnson.

But it is his fault he is here so thats about the only thing I can pin on him.

coughcoughtitanscoughcoughvikingscoughcoughpatscoughcough

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
CATCH17;2396824 said:
So when Tony comes back and we are having 400 yards total offense you guys be sure to praise him again since its his fault when they struggle.

And when Newman comes back and the defense stops giving up touchdowns YOU be sure to Prasie Wade Phippips.

Have I made enough of an example of your flawed reply yet? Too many people like you are apologizing for the coaches - except Wade for some reason - by saying it's the players fault for not executiong. Well, the players work for the coaches, so ultimately the coaches - INCLUDING GARRETT - are responsible for the players not executing.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
CATCH17;2396824 said:
Agreed. And it was his fault for having Brad Johnson here... BUT....

Its not his job to execute. Guys have been open. He has put them in a position to make big plays. He did his part imo.

So when Tony comes back and we are having 400 yards total offense you guys be sure to praise him again since its his fault when they struggle.

I never gave anyone else a pass, hence my 'like everyone else' phrase. The fact is, he's partially responsible for the two backup QB's that were hired, and that alone makes him subject to criticism. The fact that he can't produce squat after losing his starting QB (with HIS backup QB), only compounds things. He still has far more talent on his offense than many other coordinators in the NFL right now, and he's producing fewer points.

...and when/if they start to produce 400 yard offensive games upon Romo's return, I'll be applauding Garrett for doing the job he's being paid more than any coordinator in the league to do, with an ensemble of talent that few coordinators have to work with....and I'll be praising Romo for saving Garrett's ***.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2396842 said:
You won't find many that would do well when their Starting QB go down and your backup has 0 physical abilities.

I'd be shocked if anyone could do well with a 40 year old Brad Johnson.

But it is his fault he is here so thats about the only thing I can pin on him.
So where's his value? If he can't pick a backup QB and he can't call an offense without all-stars at nearly every position (we were the worst offense in the NFL with 6 pro bowlers still starting), what value does he bring to the table?

Jason stayed here instead of taking another HC job because he knew Tony would make his career.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
First off, if the players are unable to execute the simple plays being called what can Jason do? Call a more complex "creative" play? Give me a break. That is like asking a student who keeps failing at math to do Calculus just to "shake things up".

Creative schemes and creative plays call for great execution. The kind of execution that this team is not capable of right now.

I guess too many people play Madden around here and are the ones who go for it on 4th and 20.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
rexrobinson;2396976 said:
First off, if the players are unable to execute the simple plays being called what can Jason do? Call a more complex "creative" play? Give me a break. That is like asking a student who keeps failing at math to do Calculus just to "shake things up".

Creative schemes and creative plays call for great execution. The kind of execution that this team is not capable of right now.

I guess too many people play Madden around here and are the ones who go for it on 4th and 20.
He kept the same offense for Brad as he has for Tony. Clearly a mistake.

kmp77

Reaction score
JG hasn't done squat all year. Playcalling has been predictable and atrocious. I liked his attitude on hard knocks but I've been less than impressed.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2396709 said:

I mean, Garrett came here as a former QB and QB coach. He's running the offense, which INCLUDES Brad Johnson. For crying out loud, he's the Assistant Head Coach also! He's calling the plays that are not working. He's designing the protections that are busting up. He's the one being outcoached - consistently - by opposing coaches and coordinators. And he is still being coddled by the media and fans.

I'm sorry, but anyone who criticizes Wade Phillips for not having Jimmy-Johnson-like kahonas should also criticize him for not ripping the headset off of Jason Garrett's head, much like Jimmy Johnson did to David Shula. Do you remember that? Jason Garrett is now deserving of the same type of dismissal, because he is becoming a coaching embarrassment out there!

But yeah, I know, I know; it's not Garrett's fault. Let's blame the defense!

Sure! let the Garrett apologies fly! :rolleyes:

Because we have 2 of our top offensive threats out. And plus what seems to be the missing link in our offensive line, Kyle Kosier.

Let's see how we do the next 2 weeks with all of our players healthy.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2396860 said:
coughcoughtitanscoughcoughvikingscoughcoughpatscoughcough

First of all, Vince Young isnt a QB...he sucks...who knows what he is...you can't feel sorry for yourself because your fans are booing you lol, what a puss.

Second, Gus Frerotte is WAYYYYY better than Tarvaris "I can only throw into the ground" Jackson..

3rd....Cassel isn't WINNING games for them, he is purely being a bus driver, Pats would be 8-0 with Brady, thats a given....

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Personally I am sick of the coaching carousel, JJ needs to turn the reigns over the Jason and ride it out with him. He might not be 100 percent ready but I have no doubt he will eventually be a good head coach.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Teams are figuring him out early now, Jerry is in denial. How much did he pay him??:bang2::bang2::bang2:

rexrobinson

Reaction score
theogt;2397027 said:
He kept the same offense for Brad as he has for Tony. Clearly a mistake.

That has been the plan since they brought Brad to Dallas. They have said back then they would not change the style of offense for Brad if Tony was out and they reiterated that this preseason. They were sure he could run this offense.

They were wrong but I don't blame that on the Offensive Coordinator's game plan, I blame that on whomever thought Brad Johnson could be a viable backup in any offense. No game plan can make him a viable option other than running the ball 60 times a game. Guys it is about execution of the plays given that wins the games not the plays itself. Every coach will tell you that.

If a half back dive on second down and 8 gains 20 yards was that an unpredictable play that caught the defense off guard or was it simply great execution by the team? When are people going to understand that lining up and beating the guy in front of you is what wins games?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
rexrobinson;2397772 said:
That has been the plan since they brought Brad to Dallas. They have said back then they would not change the style of offense for Brad if Tony was out and they reiterated that this preseason. They were sure he could run this offense.

They were wrong but I don't blame that on the Offensive Coordinator's game plan, I blame that on whomever thought Brad Johnson could be a viable backup in any offense. No game plan can make him a viable option other than running the ball 60 times a game. Guys it is about execution of the plays given that wins the games not the plays itself. Every coach will tell you that.

If a half back dive on second down and 8 gains 20 yards was that an unpredictable play that caught the defense off guard or was it simply great execution by the team? When are people going to understand that lining up and beating the guy in front of you is what wins games?

Either one, and your answer is the same...Jason Garrett.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
tomson75;2397781 said:

I don't mind blaming Jason Garrett on thinking Brad could run this offense. I do think that it is stupid to blame game planning on the issues this team is having.

Execution and winning the individual battles is what wins games. Like I said before I think most of the football education on this board comes from a video game.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
tomson75;2397781 said:

:lmao2: Nobody knows that, they all blame Jerry.:bang2:

rangers71

Reaction score
skicat1898;2396815 said:
Did you ever stop to think that Garrett is calling successful plays, the heartless players on the field are just not executing?

I am not a Garrett apologist here, but he isn't what is wrong with this offense. Romo makes the OL look better than it is. When a defense knows all it has to worry about is the run, Barber becomes very average.

TO is not what he use to be prior to his injury last year.

Romo was a little off even before his injury. People ask "Why isn't Garrett getting the ball to the WRs?",,, Last I looked, Garrett is the OC not the QB and our current QBs are not hitting the WRs.

I don't care who your OC is, if the players are not doing their job on the field, you are not going to have success.

Hold the players accountable,,, nobody seems to be.

A voice of reason finely. Gripe all you want to about Garrett but he he did get us a win against Tampa right?

TEUFELI

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2396709 said:

I mean, Garrett came here as a former QB and QB coach. He's running the offense, which INCLUDES Brad Johnson. For crying out loud, he's the Assistant Head Coach also! He's calling the plays that are not working. He's designing the protections that are busting up. He's the one being outcoached - consistently - by opposing coaches and coordinators. And he is still being coddled by the media and fans.

I'm sorry, but anyone who criticizes Wade Phillips for not having Jimmy-Johnson-like kahonas should also criticize him for not ripping the headset off of Jason Garrett's head, much like Jimmy Johnson did to David Shula. Do you remember that? Jason Garrett is now deserving of the same type of dismissal, because he is becoming a coaching embarrassment out there!

But yeah, I know, I know; it's not Garrett's fault. Let's blame the defense!

Sure! let the Garrett apologies fly! :rolleyes:

I. Don't. Know.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
rangers71;2398105 said:
A voice of reason finely. Gripe all you want to about Garrett but he he did get us a win against Tampa right?

That was sarcasm, right?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
rangers71;2398105 said:

No that was lady luck and the buttered popcorn I sent Tampa's secondary;)