Why I think Collins replaces Free

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many more years do you think Free has left as a starter anyways?

I don't know. I also don't know how many years Leary has as a starter due to his knee condition. It is the reason he went undrafted in the first place.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not that it means a thing but the concensus on Talkin Cowboys yesterday was Collins at LG.

I think it means plenty. Many are penciling Collins in at RT simply because they don't like Free, never taking into consideration the fact that Collins' best fit is at guard. You don't put him at RT simply because he played tackle in college. It's not some given that you can simply plug him in at whatever position you think fills the biggest need. There's also the key factor to consider of whether or not the rookie can actually handle it. And many appear to have simply assumed that they could plug him in wherever they wanted.

They might have taken an early look to see how well he did and RT and they have now decided to see how he looks at LG. The focus may now shift from experimenting with Collins at RT to trying to get Weems and Green as comfortable there as they can until Free is ready to return.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I don't know. I also don't know how many years Leary has as a starter due to his knee condition. It is the reason he went undrafted in the first place.

Free probably only has a couple years left as a starter. He missed a ton of games last year as he was injured twice, and he has been breaking down for the last couple years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Leary will be one of the top guards in FA next year. He is outta here.

Leary will be a Restricted Free Agent.

Do I need to explain the difference between an Unrestricted Free Agent and a Restricted Free Agent?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no way to know if Leary will play longer than free at this point other than just pure opinion and speculation.

There is no way to know who long Leary's knees will allow him to play since it is a degenerative condition that nobody has a firm time line on.

Jonathan Vilma played 10 years in the NFL with the same condition as Leary. Vilma had a knee injury at the end of his career but I don't know if it was due to the OCD condition or if it was even in the same knee. He was 31 when he retired. Leary is 26. Leary's condition is not really degenerative in that it might not be any worse right now that it was when he was drafted. Is is more of an all or nothing type of issue. It could pop and he would likely need micro-fracture surgery or it could be fine indefinitely.

Leary is a Restricted Free Agent next season. I expected him to be here through the end of 2016.

Free had foot/ankle surgery in both Jan 2014 and Jan 2015. He is now 31.

It's a coin flip as to which one will be on the team longer. Obviously, the progress of Collins, Green and possibly Weems could impact those decisions.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no way to know if Leary will play longer than free at this point other than just pure opinion and speculation.

There is no way to know who long Leary's knees will allow him to play since it is a degenerative condition that nobody has a firm time line on.

And I think the same reason Leary went undrafted will be the same reason why the Cowboys don't want to make a long-term financial commitment to him. It's unfortunate, but the NFL is first and foremost a business. But, on the positive side, maybe the Cowboys and Leary can agree to a deal that keeps him around for a reasonable cost? The team gets a long-term quality contributor without huge financial risk while the player can still earn a good living and have a measure of stability.

daveferr33

Reaction score
I am really hoping Chaz Green will step up and deliver as a replacement for Free; and Collins will utilize his power in the middle of the line between Frederick and Tyron Smith.

My hope as well. When they needed the tough yard last season, they seemed to like to go between Fred and Martin. Be real nice to have the option to go that way again, or behind Fred and Collins.

Manster68

Reaction score
My hope as well. When they needed the tough yard last season, they seemed to like to go between Fred and Martin. Be real nice to have the option to go that way again, or behind Fred and Collins.

No argument here, but I do know there were a few times Leary road-graded a path for Joseph Randall to reach the end zone.

The frustrating part of all this is the fact that I know Leary and Free could start on maybe 20 other NFL teams - yet Dallas now have certifiable replacements already in place.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN DALLAS' OFFENSIVE LINE SO DEEP!!!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
did the free agency rules change? because im pretty sure Leary is in his 4th season and will be unrestricted

did his rookie season not count?

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
just about ever report said La'el Collins will be a RFA after 3 years though?

UDFA can sign for vet min{$435k} plus other incentives, as in escalating salary. Collins was signed to the max guaranteed at 3yrs. Leary was signed at 2yrs.... Thus his contract this year, plus he was a exclusive rights FA

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Leary is an RFA next year. So he basically has a two year contract and Free basically had a 3 year contract that can easily be voided after 1....

In terms of longevity, Leary will player longer than Free has left at this point.

There is nothing basically about Leary. He is a RFA. IF the Cowboys make him a qualifying offer, any team can match it. So if its low, why wouldnt they? He will one of the top guards available next year in FA. And from one of the best lines in the NFL. He will be over valued.

But why would they even offer him a contract in the first place? They have a first round pick in Collins to preplace him. Collins is probably going to replace him at some point this year. So the Cowboys are going to resign Leary and pay him enough money for someone else NOT to sign him so he can ride the bench? Talk about a waste of money.

Leary is a stop gap player with a degenerative knee problem. Every year he plays is borrowed time. He is not a long term solution.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Leary is an RFA next year. So he basically has a two year contract and Free basically had a 3 year contract that can easily be voided after 1....

In terms of longevity, Leary will player longer than Free has left at this point.

There is nothing basically about Leary. He is a RFA. IF the Cowboys make him a qualifying offer, any team can match it. So if its low, why wouldnt they? He will one of the top guards available next year in FA. And from one of the best lines in the NFL. He will be over valued.

But why would they even offer him a contract in the first place? They have a first round pick in Collins to preplace him. Collins is probably going to replace him at some point this year. So the Cowboys are going to resign Leary and pay him enough money for someone else NOT to sign him so he can ride the bench? Talk about a waste of money.

Leary is a stop gap player with a degenerative knee problem. Every year he plays is borrowed time. He is not a long term solution.

2 to 3 more years as a solid starter for Free. And they have him signed for that at a reasonable contract. Enough time for our 3rd round pick to come of age and take over. Hopefully it only takes two years. Remember you want quality depth. No need to rush guys out of here until other guys are fully up to speed and you have someone behind them.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

2 to 3 more years as a solid starter for Free. And they have him signed for that at a reasonable contract. Enough time for our 3rd round pick to come of age and take over. Hopefully it only takes two years. Remember you want quality depth. No need to rush guys out of here until other guys are fully up to speed and you have someone behind them.

I'm guessing he gets a 2nd round tender.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
It's a good problem to have.

Personally I don't know why so many keep disrespecting Ronald Leary so much. He can play.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I think the same reason Leary went undrafted will be the same reason why the Cowboys don't want to make a long-term financial commitment to him. It's unfortunate, but the NFL is first and foremost a business. But, on the positive side, maybe the Cowboys and Leary can agree to a deal that keeps him around for a reasonable cost? The team gets a long-term quality contributor without huge financial risk while the player can still earn a good living and have a measure of stability.

Give him a deal like the one they gave Hardy this year. He only gets paid for the games he plays.