Why I think Collins replaces Free

burmafrd

Reaction score
They have 3 All Pros on the OL and Fred is not on of them.

How does a non-pro-bowl, non-all-pro lead a group of all-pros? Is he there just to lead the 1 other non-all-pro?

I keep reading some people talking about leadership- supposedly waving arms and making noise is leadership to them. Would love to see a real source saying Free is the leader of the O line.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Leadership goes along way. He may not be an all-around himself but his leadership enables the others to excel. Chemistry is extremely important

Chemistry is extremely important and, given his seniority, Free has earned a measure of respect from his young peers. Leadership in the form of respect, however, may not be enough to protect his job.

FWIW, I think he keeps his job. I do not believe Collins can beat him out this year.

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
If Collins does replace Free, then we better hope that Leary's knees hold out until we can find a suitable replacement at LG. I think we put Collins at LG then groom Green for the RT spot. That's what I believe the Cowboys had in mind when they drafted GReen.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This could be my bias and desire shaping the narrative, but I think that as a promising young rookie you generally want them to start out and stick to the position that you want them to play.

If the Cowboys wanted the transition to be easier for Collins, they could have kept him at left guard and let him battle it out with Leary. They could have let Green and Weems fight it out at tackle until Free is ready to go.

I can't help but think that starting him out at Right Tackle early, something they know he has never done was about giving him the most amount of time to acclimate to the position and to push Free to the bench. It's hard enough to come into the league as a rookie, but to have to learn multiple positions? That's just not something you generally ask a player with a first round grade to do.

I think the best example of that is Byron Jones. There was talk about him playing safety and corner, but they've played him exclusively at corner. I think they would rather hedge on corner and at worst create better depth there than to play Jones at safety, and then last minute have a crisis at corner that he has to be thrown into. The same can be said for splitting time between the two positions.

They're playing Jones at corner in right now because that is the highest value position and it is the position that currently lacks the most depth. Does Carr take that pay cut? How will Claiborne look in training camp? Until those things are answered, Jones is most valuable at corner, despite the ideal situation playing him at safety.

I think the ideal situation may have had Collins at left guard, but tackle is certainly the more valuable position even on the right side. I hope Collins can win that spot and anchor it going forward.

Let me guess............ummmm, because that is where they lined him up to begin OTA's?

In my opinion, he is there now because Free is out and he can get the most reps there now. Once free comes back, he will be going back and forth. I think at the end of the day, when Free's contract is up or at the end of this year, they will ultimately want him at tackle to eventually replace Free. But for at least this year, I think he becomes the immediate backup to both Free and Leary. Unless of course, he can beat out Leary right off the bat.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Let me guess............ummmm, because that is where they lined him up to begin OTA's?

In my opinion, he is there now because Free is out and he can get the most reps there now. Once free comes back, he will be going back and forth. I think at the end of the day, when Free's contract is up or at the end of this year, they will ultimately want him at tackle to eventually replace Free. But for at least this year, I think he becomes the immediate backup to both Free and Leary. Unless of course, he can beat out Leary right off the bat.

I made all of these arguments before OTAs. I think Free being injured plays a huge part, but not only now but going into the season. He was oft injured last year and struggled a lot at times. I don't think a kid rated so highly comes in to be a backup, even on this line.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I made all of these arguments before OTAs. I think Free being injured plays a huge part, but not only now but going into the season. He was oft injured last year and struggled a lot at times. I don't think a kid rated so highly comes in to be a backup, even on this line.

I think its too much to expect Collins to come in and be better than Free his first season. And it makes little sense. Free just signed another 2 year agreement. Leary is the position where it makes the most sense. Leary is gone after this season so it makes the most sense for him to replace Leary. I also believe that his best traits project him to be a guard. But there is really no rush. The smart play would be to get him reps at both positions so that at the very least, he can be the primary backup at both positions. Now he will have to replace Leary next year so if he can beat him out this year, that would be ideal. But again, no rush to force him into the starting lineup. Both Free and Leary are good players. They have also shown that Beardeau is now going to be the full time backup at center. That tells me that Leary and Collins will be the top two guards on the roster. I believe they are only giving him a look at Tackle because Free is out and they can get him good reps there now.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think its too much to expect Collins to come in and be better than Free his first season. And it makes little sense. Free just signed another 2 year agreement. Leary is the position where it makes the most sense. Leary is gone after this season so it makes the most sense for him to replace Leary. I also believe that his best traits project him to be a guard. But there is really no rush. The smart play would be to get him reps at both positions so that at the very least, he can be the primary backup at both positions. Now he will have to replace Leary next year so if he can beat him out this year, that would be ideal. But again, no rush to force him into the starting lineup. Both Free and Leary are good players. They have also shown that Beardeau is now going to be the full time backup at center. That tells me that Leary and Collins will be the top two guards on the roster. I believe they are only giving him a look at Tackle because Free is out and they can get him good reps there now.

Frederick, Smith, and Martin were all better their rookie years than Free was last year. Please tell me why you think Collins who was projected as high as any of them apart from Smith, won't have as good a year ignoring that he was undrafted.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
no direct quotes or anything at all except Archer's opinion. Show me something from other O line players or the O line coaches.

It is well known that Doug Free is the veteran leader on the line.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4737906/behind-scenes-doug-free-a-leader

http://thelandryhat.com/2014/10/20/doug-free-glue-dallas-cowboys-offensive-line/

With that being said Tyron Smith has been a 4 year starter now. I think he can more than take over that role.

burmafrd

Reaction score
It is well known that Doug Free is the veteran leader on the line.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4737906/behind-scenes-doug-free-a-leader

http://thelandryhat.com/2014/10/20/doug-free-glue-dallas-cowboys-offensive-line/

With that being said Tyron Smith has been a 4 year starter now. I think he can more than take over that role.
Fredbeard is a nice guy-might have been just gilding the lilly some there.Since it was the same quote in both articles. When you consider how up and down his career has been, calling Free the leader of the line is a little bit fishy. Red Ball is just spouting the company line which is just like mick spagnola frankly. I would be more willing to believe it if more of the O line and the Oline coaches said the same thing.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Fredbeard is a nice guy-might have been just gilding the lilly some there.Since it was the same quote in both articles. When you consider how up and down his career has been, calling Free the leader of the line is a little bit fishy. Red Ball is just spouting the company line which is just like mick spagnola frankly. I would be more willing to believe it if more of the O line and the Oline coaches said the same thing.

Leader doesn't mean the best player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Leader doesn't mean the best player.

How much impact can Free have as a leader when 3 out 4 of the other starters are All Pros? So Free is helping Collins and Green? Would Tyron, Fred and Martin not help those guys if Free was not around?

Yes, Free can be a leader, but what do they lose if he is gone? It is the position group that probably has the most "leader" type players.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
How much impact can Free have as a leader when 3 out 4 of the other starters are All Pros? So Free is helping Collins and Green? Would Tyron, Fred and Martin not help those guys if Free was not around?

Yes, Free can be a leader, but what do they lose if he is gone? It is the position group that probably has the most "leader" type players.

I don't think they lose anything. That wasn't my point.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Frederick, Smith, and Martin were all better their rookie years than Free was last year. Please tell me why you think Collins who was projected as high as any of them apart from Smith, won't have as good a year ignoring that he was undrafted.

Good point, but for one, I think a weakness of Collins is his feet. He is a mauler. Very good in the run, and not as good in pass protection. I think they would be hard pressed to allow him to protect Romos other side this year unless Free got injured. But the biggest reason is that Free just signed a new contract. How does it make sense to put Free on the bench and start the rookie? Now if Collins is head and shoulders above Free, then no problem. Free is also one of the emotional leaders of the line. Longest tenured guy.

I think Collins has a better shot of unseating Leary. And Leary is gone after this year 100%. No way they keep him. So with that in mind, I believe he will get most of his work at guard with an eye on replacing Leary next year if not this year, then possibly sliding over to Tackle once Frees contract is up. They also used a 3rd round pick on a Tackle.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

No need for everyone to be in a rush to get Collins out there. We have the luxury of a solid veteran in Free with a two year contract and a good starter at Guard in Leary. Its a luxury to have him learn both positions and take his time. Chances are that of the 4 positions besides center, there will be some injuries and missed games. he will get playing time and can take over the starters role next year at the very least when Leary is gone. Absolutely no need to rush or force anything. If he turns out to be incredible and can beat out either Free or Leary, then so be it. Its bonus.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point, but for one, I think a weakness of Collins is his feet. He is a mauler. Very good in the run, and not as good in pass protection. I think they would be hard pressed to allow him to protect Romos other side this year unless Free got injured. But the biggest reason is that Free just signed a new contract. How does it make sense to put Free on the bench and start the rookie? Now if Collins is head and shoulders above Free, then no problem. Free is also one of the emotional leaders of the line. Longest tenured guy.

I think Collins has a better shot of unseating Leary. And Leary is gone after this year 100%. No way they keep him. So with that in mind, I believe he will get most of his work at guard with an eye on replacing Leary next year if not this year, then possibly sliding over to Tackle once Frees contract is up. They also used a 3rd round pick on a Tackle.

Leary is a restricted free agent next season and will cost about half as much to keep as Free.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Leary is here for at least one more year. You would assume given his upside you would want to keep him starting. Free is the odd man out. And that isn't to suggest he can't be veteran depth this year, but my guess is he is going to be released next year.