Why is Dak refusing to give the cowboys a discount? Mahomes did!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
why is Dak allowing his contract saga to continue this long ? This is a great town with great state tax savings , and prime time endorsements , which Dak has already cashed in on . After all , Jerry selected Dak in the 4th round while others passed on him . Jerry surrounded him with the most expensive OL RB WR combos to succeed .

The cowboys need all the savings to fix the Defense . They spent the least money on defense among all NFL teams in 2020 61.4 Mil , except for the jets .

Yet ,Dak is not relenting one inch for the sake of this team like Mahomes or Brady and others did to help their teams .

look at the fabulous discount Mahomes gave the chiefs . A dream contract by all means for a super bowl winner . The chiefs were able to spend big on defense last year , spending 97 mil to stack up their defense ( 6th highest investment in defense among all teams ) . Mahomes cap hit was actually 5.3 mil in 2020 . If he continues to play this good , his cap hit will be 24.8 mil in 2021 , and 31.5 in 2022 . This is how you win Super Bowls !!!

In contrast, Dak’s cap hit last year was 31.4 Mil and now wants 40 mil a year.?? On top of the mistake expensive zeke and other contracts ?
This is how you remain irrelevant and 25 years away from a super bowl appearance !!

Mahomes already had a ring when he signed his deal. He knows he can win championships as a Chief.

What reasons, other than blind hope, would Dak (or any QB) have to think they can win SBs in Dallas?

Motorola

Reaction score
What is a better endorsement, State Farm or Sleep Number? Personally I don’t like State Farm. I just dumped them because they kept raising my rates even though I have never had a claim. I never actually tried Sleep Number. They have a big, ugly store in my downtown area but despite that I may be intrigued to try them. Advantage Dak?
Exposure wise -- it's Mahomes. Unless you skip the commercials, you are going to see No. 15's ad skits while watching sporting events. I recall seeing Prescott's ad only once the past couple of weeks as opposed to Mahomes up to a dozen times.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That is not exactly what I said. I was saying that a player who is willing to play for a team for less money sends a signal, or gives a perception. I did not mean to imply I know what Dak or any other player is thinking when he does a deal. When Brady signed for less money than he could have gotten - by far - how was this perceived by everyone else? The general feeling was Brady cared more about winning than how much money he was making. There may have been other reasons Brady did what he did, I have no idea. But I bet his teammates felt pretty good about him since it meant some of them could more money from the Patriots. Of course, there were others who claimed Brady didn;t have to ask for the most money because his wife makes a lot of money too. I have no idea if this is true, but the fact is, Brady signed a very friendly deal to stay with the Patriots.

As I stated very clearly, every player has a right o ask for whatever he thinks he is worth, or choose the team he would rather play for in free agency. Players have short careers and should get the most they can before their careers end. However, when a player takes less to play for a team, it is a positive message for that team. Remember when Cooper supposedly took less from Dallas then he could have gotten from the WFT? The point is, if Dak takes less money from Dallas to stay with the team and help them with their CAP problem, it will be perceived as a positive for him and his team. If he refuses to sign, takes another franchise tag and then leaves via free agency in 2022, I will always assume he did not want to stay in Dallas.

First off I don't know where you were after Brady signed his last contract with the patriots but when asked if the contract amount had anything to do with his wife making more money than he does the only thing he said was "it's not like we're broke". Most took that to mean that yes his wife's income played a big part in his contract amount.

Next ALL players, except Brady, want to make as much as they can and the teams know the players want to make as much as they can so the only ones that need this perception of a positive message that a player takes a smaller contract are the fans and they really don't enter into ANY contract negotiations. In an article Charley Casserly, a former NFL GM once said the very few players who have spoken out about a player getting a big contract and didn't think of the team were mostly the type of players who were never going to see those types of big contracts so if they can live with the smaller contracts then everyone should. He also said that many of the players who do take a team friendly contract move on after that contract is up because they were only going to take a smaller contract once and they need to try to recoup some of that money.

Fans should stop thinking that they are GM's/capologists because unlike teams that have databases and spreadsheets with every current contract on them to see exactly what their player costs will be 1, 2, 5 years down the road based on the current roster and also know based on things in any given year whether they will attempt to resign which players and which players they will let try free agency or what players they may try to trade although the Cowboys aren't a big trade team. They also know exactly how much dead cap money will be for any given year. In other words fans don't have anywhere near the actual vital info that teams have at their finger tips when negotiating any contract. This also applies to all the sportswriters who throw their 2 cents worth in on players and their contract negotiations.

Yes there are websites that anyone can lookup a teams contracts for any given year but those sites don't list individual contracts and how much is guaranteed money and at what year if any there is a year when they can get out of those contracts. To see that you have to lookup each player's contract individually and how many fans do that for 53 players for every year for the next 2, 3, 5 years before starting to whine about a contract negotiating in the current year? The teams have all of that at their finger tips when negotiating contracts.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
can't we trade dak for anything, I'm tired of listening to the groupies cry about the other available QB's not being all world like stats prescott. A blind mule would be fine with me.
So trade Dak because you don’t personally like some internet posters, and it’s okay if making it happen means the Cowboys end up with a 3rd string level QB ...

Now that’s a sound strategy ...:facepalm:

JayFord

Reaction score
We need to win a SB sometime soon......maybe the tension will be released in cowboy nation

Steve007

Reaction score
how will it exactly hurt the team? this past year we spent 15M on FAs that sucked and never made it past mid season. that's GMs issue and how he evaluates the market. and what difference are you refering to? the 3-5 M in argument of what dak haters feel is fair, vs, perhaps what everyone estimates that Dak will get? is that 3-5M going to be the difference between a superbowl team and not one? that's getting another Poe!!! that worked out oh so well.

and don't forget, Dak had a top 5 salary on the books this year, and we had 7 of the largest position contracts on the team, and were able to sign cooper to a 20M contracts.....so his top 5 salary didn't stop us from having large contracts on the books....however, who got those contracts is another issue onto itself....
If they give him a long tern contract and pay him elite money then they will start to lose players around him. Then they will be stuck in a bad contract with a player production that is dropping because he does't have as good of line or receivers etc... They also have to fix the defense. Look at team that paid their quarterbacks too much. Goff and Wentz. The Rams dumped Goff and Wentz is a problem for the Eagles. To say that the Cowboys have overpaid other players isn't a good reason to keep doing the same thing. I expect Jerry to over pay Dak though. If he does this team will not get to a Superbowl.

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
Mahomes already had a ring when he signed his deal. He knows he can win championships as a Chief.

What reasons, other than blind hope, would Dak (or any QB) have to think they can win SBs in Dallas?
Dak knows he's not winning any Super Bowl in Dallas, thus why he wants to break the Bank...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If they give him a long tern contract and pay him elite money then they will start to lose players around him. Then they will be stuck in a bad contract with a player production that is dropping because he does't have as good of line or receivers etc... They also have to fix the defense. Look at team that paid their quarterbacks too much. Goff and Wentz. The Rams dumped Goff and Wentz is a problem for the Eagles. To say that the Cowboys have overpaid other players isn't a good reason to keep doing the same thing. I expect Jerry to over pay Dak though. If he does this team will not get to a Superbowl.

To listen to some here their big plan is to not keep Prescott and go with some other QB either on the team now or resigning Dalton which will be more than the 3 mil he signed for last season or signing a free agent QB and then spend their cap money on defensive free agents along with drafting defensive players and maybe one offensive tackle and then the Cowboys will just jump right into Super Bowl contention. The only team I can think of that won a Super Bowl with an average QB was Dilfer but he also had the #1 defense in the league. Oh and after that Super Bowl the ravens didn't even try to resign Dilfer.

The QB position is probably the most important position in all of sports and most of the Super Bowl winning teams had a good to a really good QB. What many of those that keep suggesting not to keep Prescott because of the cost and a smaller cap for next season seem to forget that because of everything about this season, the league has made a change for just the 2021 season that teams can carryover as much of the 2020 cap as they want. The Cowboys will have a carryover of about 25 mil and that will go a long way to cover Prescott's contract. Also about an hour or so before the deadline came back on July 15th, Prescott agreed to a 35 mil salary but they couldn't get the length and guaranteed money worked out. That being the case, that means that only about 10 mil would come off the 2021 cap to sign Prescott using that 25 mil carryover.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dak knows he's not winning any Super Bowl in Dallas, thus why he wants to break the Bank...

Tell me where you got your crystal ball, crazy eight ball and ouija board to know what Prescott is thinking so I can get one too.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, it ain't my money either. But it's my team so to speak, and if they sink too much of the cap into a greedy QB, there won't be enough to build the defense we so badly need.
So, if you want to get paid in the same range as your peers that makes you greedy? By that standard pretty much everyone in the country is greedy.

conner01

Reaction score
We have options . Without a great defense the cowboys won’t reach the super bowl , which should be the objective , not 8-8 9-7 6-10 cycle with Dak and mediocre defenses .
You can keep Dak and build a defense
You need to draft well and stop going for quantity over quality in FA
I would sign Simmons or L Williams in FA
Probably couldn’t do both but either fills a need with a good player
Then I’d draft one of the top CB at 10
I think CB is where the best player will be assuming the top 9 go as most think, though if more QB can get up to the top 10 then there may be another position option
I would pick best player but if all things are fairly equal I lean defense on every pick. Defense won’t be the best pick on every pick so I don’t compromise on quality but lean that way as much as is feasible
We can sign Dak, one top FA and make it fit in the cap
We also need to resign one of our cb’s, Goodwin and maybe a couple more
We can have a QB and build a defense because it won’t matter if you build a defense if you don’t have a QB
One thing that very obvious, it’s hard to get a QB and you aren’t likely to get the top prospect in the draft anytime soon
And Dak is a top 10 QB so you keep him and build around him

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
but his contract can be worked the same way. and cap goes up. and he had elite money this year, yet we had seven of the largest positional contracts on the team and bunch of mid level contracts.

to fix the defense, you have to do it through the draft, not FA. you may sign a key FA here or there, but you can't build a defense through FA. there isn't enough money to do that and be competitive.

the cowboys over paid other players, they should over pay for the ones that are critical. they over paid for cooper, but he produces. they over paid martin (which I was against as much as I like him), but at least he produces. they over paid for Jaylon and Lawrence and zeke and they don't produce. any FA, your own or outsiders, you are going to end up over paying. and 3 years from now, when salaries go up, his contract will not be over paid, but drop relative to new contracts that will be handed out.

to be a superbowl team we need to draft better defensively. that's been the crux of our problem. we have not drafted well defensively for over 15 years, and we have signed the wrong players in FA, while similarly paid FAs signed by other teams produce....fix the defensive evaluation problem and we will have a competitive team.

Steve007

Reaction score
but his contract can be worked the same way. and cap goes up. and he had elite money this year, yet we had seven of the largest positional contracts on the team and bunch of mid level contracts.

to fix the defense, you have to do it through the draft, not FA. you may sign a key FA here or there, but you can't build a defense through FA. there isn't enough money to do that and be competitive.

the cowboys over paid other players, they should over pay for the ones that are critical. they over paid for cooper, but he produces. they over paid martin (which I was against as much as I like him), but at least he produces. they over paid for Jaylon and Lawrence and zeke and they don't produce. any FA, your own or outsiders, you are going to end up over paying. and 3 years from now, when salaries go up, his contract will not be over paid, but drop relative to new contracts that will be handed out.

to be a superbowl team we need to draft better defensively. that's been the crux of our problem. we have not drafted well defensively for over 15 years, and we have signed the wrong players in FA, while similarly paid FAs signed by other teams produce....fix the defensive evaluation problem and we will have a competitive team.
It's been reported that he wants in the 40+ range. Goff and Wentz were overpaid. Goff was traded and Wentz future is up in teh air. You can't pay an average quarterback elite money.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It's been reported that he wants in the 40+ range. Goff and Wentz were overpaid. Goff was traded and Wentz future is up in teh air. You can't pay an average quarterback elite money.

That 40 mil range comes from France not Prescott. France the same guy that in the last hour or so back on July 15th where Prescott was doing his own negotiating and agreed on 35 mil but they couldn't get the length and guaranteed amount done before the deadline. The Sportswriters keep throwing out that 40 mil because that's all France did was keep demanding that and didn't do any actual negotiating.

Steve007

Reaction score
To listen to some here their big plan is to not keep Prescott and go with some other QB either on the team now or resigning Dalton which will be more than the 3 mil he signed for last season or signing a free agent QB and then spend their cap money on defensive free agents along with drafting defensive players and maybe one offensive tackle and then the Cowboys will just jump right into Super Bowl contention. The only team I can think of that won a Super Bowl with an average QB was Dilfer but he also had the #1 defense in the league. Oh and after that Super Bowl the ravens didn't even try to resign Dilfer.

The QB position is probably the most important position in all of sports and most of the Super Bowl winning teams had a good to a really good QB. What many of those that keep suggesting not to keep Prescott because of the cost and a smaller cap for next season seem to forget that because of everything about this season, the league has made a change for just the 2021 season that teams can carryover as much of the 2020 cap as they want. The Cowboys will have a carryover of about 25 mil and that will go a long way to cover Prescott's contract. Also about an hour or so before the deadline came back on July 15th, Prescott agreed to a 35 mil salary but they couldn't get the length and guaranteed money worked out. That being the case, that means that only about 10 mil would come off the 2021 cap to sign Prescott using that 25 mil carryover.
Dilfer wan't getting elite money. If Dak would take 35 million before the deadline in July he would have been signed after this season. As a Cowboy fan I don't care what the Cowboys pay Dak as long as the team is able to have enough talent to compete for a Superbowl. If they pay him elite money the Cowboys will loose talent and Dak will have to carry the team more. He is not able to do that. Before they got Cooper he didn't look good.

ondaedg

Reaction score
sorry if it came wrong. I not suggesting that at all. that's just silly. All i'm saying is Dak doesn't posses the extra "It" mahomes has. Dallas can win with Dak, he just needs a little more help.

You're describing every other qb in the nfl.

Steve007

Reaction score
Dak will get paid a contract based on current market value of top 10 QBs. you don't set that. I don't set that. that's NFL market. what he gets paid is the fair market value of what the team and NFL assess this QB to be.

and again, with this fix the defense thing...again, are you planning to fix the defense via FA? really. you want to go on a shopping spree in FA to fix this defense!? how....when was the last time that worked.

this is a tiring, debunked argument from dak haters, that if we pay Dak we can't fix the defense, where the FACTS are that the defensive problems are not Dak's fault, nor his contract. its ineptness of FO not being able to find the right players and you think you go play fantasy football and sign any and all FAs to build a formidable defense....against when was the last time any team had done that?
Dak fans think that Cowboy fans hate Dak. I don't think they do. They see it as you can't pay an average quarterback elite money.