Why is Dak refusing to give the cowboys a discount? Mahomes did!

FVSTONE

Reaction score
why is Dak allowing his contract saga to continue this long ? This is a great town with great state tax savings , and prime time endorsements , which Dak has already cashed in on . After all , Jerry selected Dak in the 4th round while others passed on him . Jerry surrounded him with the most expensive OL RB WR combos to succeed .

The cowboys need all the savings to fix the Defense . They spent the least money on defense among all NFL teams in 2020 61.4 Mil , except for the jets .

Yet ,Dak is not relenting one inch for the sake of this team like Mahomes or Brady and others did to help their teams .

look at the fabulous discount Mahomes gave the chiefs . A dream contract by all means for a super bowl winner . The chiefs were able to spend big on defense last year , spending 97 mil to stack up their defense ( 6th highest investment in defense among all teams ) . Mahomes cap hit was actually 5.3 mil in 2020 . If he continues to play this good , his cap hit will be 24.8 mil in 2021 , and 31.5 in 2022 . This is how you win Super Bowls !!!

In contrast, Dak’s cap hit last year was 31.4 Mil and now wants 40 mil a year.?? On top of the mistake expensive zeke and other contracts ?
This is how you remain irrelevant and 25 years away from a super bowl appearance !!
It's about GREED! How else would you describe a 4th rd pick who didn't do anything in college and hasn't done anything in the NFL and who would rather fill his pockets with gold, than share it with a few FA's who could possibly get you to the next level in the NFL.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dilfer wan't getting elite money. If Dak would take 35 million before the deadline in July he would have been signed after this season. As a Cowboy fan I don't care what the Cowboys pay Dak as long as the team is able to have enough talent to compete for a Superbowl. If they pay him elite money the Cowboys will loose talent and Dak will have to carry the team more. He is not able to do that. Before they got Cooper he didn't look good.

you completely missed the point I was making. I never said or implied that Dilfer was paid elite money. The point I was making is that the ravens were the only team to win a Super Bowl with an average or below average QB but they also had the #1 defense. This was to point out why it's foolish to not have Prescott and just settle for whoever the QB's that teams have discarded and not have the #1 defense and expect the Cowboys to miraculously end up going to the Super Bowl even if the defense jumps from 32nd to 20th. I've also pointed out several time that because of everything that has happened in 2020 the league has just for 2021 allowed teams to carryover unlimited amount of money from the 2020 cap to the 2021 cap and for the Cowboys that's about 25 mil. That 25 mil will go a long way on helping for Prescott's contract with only 10 mil or 15 mil at the very worst coming of the original 2021 cap.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak fans think that Cowboy fans hate Dak. I don't think they do. They see it as you can't pay an average quarterback elite money.
They use the hate word as the truth is not to their advantage.
Their priority is Dak the Cowboys are an afterthought for them.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It's about GREED! How else would you describe a 4th rd pick who didn't do anything in college and hasn't done anything in the NFL and who would rather fill his pockets with gold, than share it with a few FA's who could possibly get you to the next level in the NFL.

Tell me all of the QB's drafted ahead of Prescott in 2016 that have set several NFL records like Prescott has done? Just about EVERYONE in the sporting world now says the Cowboys got perhaps the biggest steal in the 2016 draft with Prescott.

Let me put your greed thinking into perspective for you. Lets say that you work for a company that gave all your peers the market value for your job but when it came to you your peers start to yell to take less pay because if you do then the rest of us can get a little bonus because the payroll is under a certain level. Are you going to take less pay just to help your peers or are you going to think of yourself and your family and say that you're going to take the market value amount? People like you find it so easy to talk about other people's money and what they should do but when the shoe is on the other foot then things are different.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
They use the hate word as the truth is not to their advantage.
Their priority is Dak the Cowboys are an afterthought for them.

I've been trying to find an article I saw that was written after the 2019 season where the 32 head coaches and 32 GM's were asked to rate the QB's and on the coaches poll Prescott was at #5 and the GM's he was #6. Now this was done by people in the business and not fans that think they should be in the business. I guess it shows that the people's who's opinion actually count think Prescott is far better than just an average QB.

Steve007

Reaction score
you completely missed the point I was making. I never said or implied that Dilfer was paid elite money. The point I was making is that the ravens were the only team to win a Super Bowl with an average or below average QB but they also had the #1 defense. This was to point out why it's foolish to not have Prescott and just settle for whoever the QB's that teams have discarded and not have the #1 defense and expect the Cowboys to miraculously end up going to the Super Bowl even if the defense jumps from 32nd to 20th. I've also pointed out several time that because of everything that has happened in 2020 the league has just for 2021 allowed teams to carryover unlimited amount of money from the 2020 cap to the 2021 cap and for the Cowboys that's about 25 mil. That 25 mil will go a long way on helping for Prescott's contract with only 10 mil or 15 mil at the very worst coming of the original 2021 cap.
You missed the point that if a team pays too much money to average players you can't build a championship team.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You missed the point that if a team pays too much money to average players you can't build a championship team.

The funny thing, not ha ha funny, is fans keep putting this average tag on Prescott where as actual NFL coaches and GM's believe Prescott is much much better than average.

Steve007

Reaction score
I've been trying to find an article I saw that was written after the 2019 season where the 32 head coaches and 32 GM's were asked to rate the QB's and on the coaches poll Prescott was at #5 and the GM's he was #6. Now this was done by people in the business and not fans that think they should be in the business. I guess it shows that the people's who's opinion actually count think Prescott is far better than just an average QB.
Coaches and GMs always blow smoke when they talk about other players. The question is if they say he is that good would they give up the draft picks that the Rams did for Stafford?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You better be sure......:muttley:
NFL executives say Dak Prescott is a “tier-3 quarterback”.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rterback-did-they-get-it-right-dallas-cowboys

Steve007

Reaction score
The funny thing, not ha ha funny, is fans keep putting this average tag on Prescott where as actual NFL coaches and GM's believe Prescott is much much better than average.
Coaches and GM's always blow smoke when talking about other players. I bet they wouldn't give up 2 first round picks to get him.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Well let’s see. Russell Wilson gets paid. Seahawks can’t get out of the wild card game. Goff got paid. Buyers remorse traded. Wentz got paid. Got benched. Buyers remorse. Big Ben got paid has to take a pay cut or he’s getting cut. Watson got paid. Wants to be traded. Team is going downhill quick. Brady, Team friendly deal. In Super Bowl. Mahomes got paid in the backend. Playing this year on 5.3 cap hit. Hmmm

Steve007

Reaction score
Well let’s see. Russell Wilson gets paid. Seahawks can’t get out of the wild card game. Goff got paid. Buyers remorse traded. Wentz got paid. Got benched. Buyers remorse. Big Ben got paid has to take a pay cut or he’s getting cut. Watson got paid. Wants to be traded. Team is going downhill quick. Brady, Team friendly deal. In Super Bowl. Mahomes got paid in the backend. Playing this year on 5.3 cap hit. Hmmm
Exactly!

basel90

Reaction score
Very true . Some poor cowboy fans and actual players think he cares and is a leader .

basel90

Reaction score
You can keep Dak and build a defense
You need to draft well and stop going for quantity over quality in FA
I would sign Simmons or L Williams in FA
Probably couldn’t do both but either fills a need with a good player
Then I’d draft one of the top CB at 10
I think CB is where the best player will be assuming the top 9 go as most think, though if more QB can get up to the top 10 then there may be another position option
I would pick best player but if all things are fairly equal I lean defense on every pick. Defense won’t be the best pick on every pick so I don’t compromise on quality but lean that way as much as is feasible
We can sign Dak, one top FA and make it fit in the cap
We also need to resign one of our cb’s, Goodwin and maybe a couple more
We can have a QB and build a defense because it won’t matter if you build a defense if you don’t have a QB
One thing that very obvious, it’s hard to get a QB and you aren’t likely to get the top prospect in the draft anytime soon
And Dak is a top 10 QB so you keep him and build around him
Two issues with that
- Jerry already committed foolish money to descending stars like zeke and overpaid many others
- this defense will need a massive cap space . Keeping Dak at 35-40 mil will prevent that . They offered him 5 years to have flexibility, but he said no.

basel90

Reaction score
Mahomes already had a ring when he signed his deal. He knows he can win championships as a Chief.

What reasons, other than blind hope, would Dak (or any QB) have to think they can win SBs in Dallas?
Not much hope if the team has to allocate such money to Dak . Plus , Jerry is not good anyway in talent acquisition. The team needs a change in direction , which is a big challenge.

basel90

Reaction score
why are the facts wrong? you stated your opinion, without providing any logical information to back up your assumption....why is my facts wrong or analysis incorrect.
I stated numbers . Dallas paid around 30 million less on defense than KC . And compared the mahomes cap hits . The results are Super Bowls .
You called it stupid .

robertfchew

Reaction score
Tell me all of the QB's drafted ahead of Prescott in 2016 that have set several NFL records like Prescott has done? Just about EVERYONE in the sporting world now says the Cowboys got perhaps the biggest steal in the 2016 draft with Prescott.

Let me put your greed thinking into perspective for you. Lets say that you work for a company that gave all your peers the market value for your job but when it came to you your peers start to yell to take less pay because if you do then the rest of us can get a little bonus because the payroll is under a certain level. Are you going to take less pay just to help your peers or are you going to think of yourself and your family and say that you're going to take the market value amount? People like you find it so easy to talk about other people's money and what they should do but when the shoe is on the other foot then things are different.

It's not the same as a corporate company because if Prescott can take less now and have actually have some post season success or a sb he would be set for life with endorsement and endless media opportunities when done playing

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's been reported that he wants in the 40+ range. Goff and Wentz were overpaid. Goff was traded and Wentz future is up in teh air. You can't pay an average quarterback elite money.
reported? by whom?

and right now the NFL QB market is in that range...so I wouldn't be surprised. next year will be around 45 and so on.

two years ago it was 30 and jones' wanted to sign him for 26-28....Dak didn't. Last year Jones' wanted 35M and 5 years and dak wanted a 4 year deal...now, if the market has moved (based on Watson's contract), then that's where the market is.