Why is Dak refusing to give the cowboys a discount? Mahomes did!

Buzzbait

Reaction score
So, if you want to get paid in the same range as your peers that makes you greedy? By that standard pretty much everyone in the country is greedy.

I think you're asking the wrong question. Try this question: Would you rather see the Cowboys pay Dak an exorbitant rate and watch the Cowboys suffer another 6-10 season with arguably the worst defense in the league, or strike a fair deal for both him AND the Cowboys, and hopefully build a defense that could contend for a championship?
Which would you choose?

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
if he can get 35 but to you 30 is reasonable, then that's giving up 5M.... why? correct he is not under contract, but he should ask and get paid all he can. that's contract negotiations and doesn't have to do with anything...so if he is negotiating and you say take 30 instead of 35, that's giving up 5M a year for the next 4 or 5 years (hypothetically if that's the length of the contract). he just would be giving up 20M.

would you do it? you are slated to get a raise next year. 5%. but company tells you, don't take your 5% raise, lets us give it to this other guy and make the company stronger....you are not giving up anything....you are just not taking the additional money slated for you and allowing somebody else to have it....will you?
If I like the company I work for, w/o hesitation. If I don't, no.

Completely disagree about giving up anything. You are taking for granted that a player's value is a black and white amount. It is not. Highly subjective.

kskboys

Reaction score
I found that it was a 26-28M deal in the last year of his contract. it didn't get done, it was below market value at the time. why do all the dak detractors tend to round up all the contract numbers....
whoaaa, Dak detractors? Why in the world would you call me that? You're not really that dense, are you?

kskboys

Reaction score
how do you build a defense? why is giving Dak a contract going to stop you from building a defense? are you suggesting we throw money at FA to build a defense? does that even make sense? are there any players on this defense that you want to throw money at and you can't because you think Dak is getting the money?
You have a charming naivety. Realism is your friend.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak and his situation with the Cowboys, actually, has little to do with what Mahomes did.

Every contract situation is different. Dak has his wants and Mahomes has his.

Obviously, Dak's reasons are something for him to explain, not us.

Such matters are for those directly involved to work out.

Last edited:

sideon

Reaction score
Because he doesn't have to that's why. Ya'll need to stop with that "Do it for the team" bullcrap, because every player's first priority should be themselves and their family. Dak doesn't care about no state tax or anything else Texas has to offer, he wants his money and I don't blame him.

Janecka12

Reaction score
I say tag Dak with the non- exclusive tag let him test the market if some other team bids an outrages amount let him go and pick up their next two first round picks and go with Dalton he did just as good as Dak without most of his starting lineman. Remember Dak couldn’t win with just one o-lineman (Smith) out. Then Dak gets his money. If no team bids outrages money cowboys can match the highest bid and that will truly be his market value.

robertfchew

Reaction score
I say tag Dak with the non- exclusive tag let him test the market if some other team bids an outrages amount let him go and pick up their next two first round picks and go with Dalton he did just as good as Dak without most of his starting lineman. Remember Dak couldn’t win with just one o-lineman (Smith) out. Then Dak gets his money. If no team bids outrages money cowboys can match the highest bid and that will truly be his market value.

under the non exclusive say a team is able to offer him 40 can we still come back and say 39 but you get to stay here and he decides or do we literally have to match it he others offer

starfan1

Reaction score
I would give Jerry the kind of discount deal Mahomes gave KC if I were Dak either

until or unless he puts the kind of team around him that KC has.

then and only then would I consider it. The talent differential at QB is telling but also the rest of the team is loaded. Mahomes ain’t playing with chopped liver

plasticman

Reaction score
Dak gave the Cowboys a 90% discount through his first four seasons.

During those first four years the Cowboys got:

A two time Pro Bowler

A starter for all 64 regular season games

A 40-24 record.

"insert usual list of impressive statistics and records"

......for less than 2 million a year.

No team got a better deal from their QB through 4 seasons. Nobody.

Flamma

Reaction score
under the non exclusive say a team is able to offer him 40 can we still come back and say 39 but you get to stay here and he decides or do we literally have to match it he others offer

You'd have to match the offer Dak is willing to accept.

Flamma

Reaction score
et me put your greed thinking into perspective for you. Lets say that you work for a company that gave all your peers the market value for your job but when it came to you your peers start to yell to take less pay because if you do then the rest of us can get a little bonus because the payroll is under a certain level. Are you going to take less pay just to help your peers or are you going to think of yourself and your family and say that you're going to take the market value amount? People like you find it so easy to talk about other people's money and what they should do but when the shoe is on the other foot then things are different.

You really think that translates to football? What was Fitzpatrick making? Did Foles get market value when he left the Eagles? You're suggesting that Dak should expect similar pay to top end players at his position. Some of which are much better than Dak. If Dallas wants to do that, go right ahead. But whenever you meet that team in the playoffs you'll be at a disadvantage before the coin toss.

Jipper

Reaction score
Dak gave the Cowboys a 90% discount through his first four seasons.

During those first four years the Cowboys got:

A two time Pro Bowler

A starter for all 64 regular season games

A 40-24 record.

"insert usual list of impressive statistics and records"

......for less than 2 million a year.

No team got a better deal from their QB through 4 seasons. Nobody.

technicaly the nflpa gave that discount when they agreed to the rookie wage scale / slotting system....

basel90

Reaction score
Because he doesn't have to that's why. Ya'll need to stop with that "Do it for the team" bullcrap, because every player's first priority should be themselves and their family. Dak doesn't care about no state tax or anything else Texas has to offer, he wants his money and I don't blame him.
He can ask what he want for sure , and he is asking for the max . But this team has cap limits and overpaid players already . So if he wants to be here and win , a compromise is needed . Otherwise if he only wants max dollars , move on . It is as simple as that .

cowboyed

Reaction score
Players contribute in reducing their team's salary cap in other ways such as restructuring their contracts.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The reason is b/c Dak and his agent are trying to save face b/c they have gambled the past 2 seasons and lost. It made no financial sense for Dak to play out the 4th year of his rookie contract making 400k only to sign a franchise tag the next year. It makes them look like morons. BUT, if Dak can get a deal that is significantly larger than the ones he has already turned down, it looks better and reflects less poorly on his agent.