Why is Dak refusing to give the cowboys a discount? Mahomes did!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It certainly isn't unheard of. And like I said, they're not collecting rings. Big been was drafted in 2004, right? The contracts worked didn't back then, right? Did anyone have the type of rookie deal they get now?

No the rookie contracts weren't what they are now and that's the point. Those QB's got MARKET VALUE and they still won Super Bowls.

Flamma

Reaction score
No the rookie contracts weren't what they are now and that's the point. Those QB's got MARKET VALUE and they still won Super Bowls.

If they weren't, then it doesn't apply to today. Which is what we're talking about. I'm pretty sure everything changed in 2011. What Terry Bradshaw was being paid when he won 4 SBs is irrelevant to how it works now. We have a totally different ruleset that everyone has to abide by. That's what matter now.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If they weren't, then it doesn't apply to today. Which is what we're talking about. I'm pretty sure everything changed in 2011. What Terry Bradshaw was being paid when he won 4 SBs is irrelevant to how it works now. We have a totally different ruleset that everyone has to abide by. That's what matter now.

Quit trying to change the story. I didn't say anything about Bradshaw because he played before the cap. I mentioned QB's that have been around since the cap and Rodgers, Brees, Manning and Big Ben all won Super Bowls and were paid the market value at the time they signed their contracts. You said only Brady won Super Bowls at market value contracts but that's not true, those others did too. You're trying to use that as a reason that if Prescott gets a market value contract the Cowboys can't win a Super Bowl but others have done it so the Cowboys with Prescott can too.

Flamma

Reaction score
Quit trying to change the story. I didn't say anything about Bradshaw because he played before the cap. I mentioned QB's that have been around since the cap and Rodgers, Brees, Manning and Big Ben all won Super Bowls and were paid the market value at the time they signed their contracts. You said only Brady won Super Bowls at market value contracts but that's not true, those others did too. You're trying to use that as a reason that if Prescott gets a market value contract the Cowboys can't win a Super Bowl but others have done it so the Cowboys with Prescott can too.

I merely said the rules are changed. Ben and Eli won under different conditions. I don't know what those conditions were pre 2011. But I don't think they played for peanuts for their first 5 years only to make 10 times that amount afterwards. There's a huge wage disparity between rookies and the rest of the best players. I'm not sure that existed back then. If not, then they don't apply. The only thing they have in common is a cap.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you are Prescott, what do you do? Want to leave money on the table in the hopes they get you some help? How much help have they given him on the D side?

Using Mahomes or Brady as examples is ludicrous. That's not a hometown discount that Mahomes gave them, that's the richest contract in NFL history and it will not be fulfilled, it will be renegotiated. Brady did what he had to do to stay where he could gather rings and Kraft said as much. He had to give them a discount or be replaced because Belichick, as the GM, was not giving that much of his cap to a QB. Even the GOAT.

These people are professional athletes, they play for pay, that is why they do it. Brady is the extreme exception. The team or even the town does not matter because that can be temporary only while they are playing. None of them give up money to get a ring, until they get the money.

Prescott doesn't care what you think he's worth, you don't matter. That is the ego job of all sports, even more than the ace pitcher. These players do not keep score on the scoreboard, they keep it on contracts. Why do you think they inflate these contracts and the Chiefs did that ridiculous 450M 10 year deal? Because no other team is going to top that. Rodgers was at the top, now he's not and what's happening in GB?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I merely said the rules are changed. Ben and Eli won under different conditions. I don't know what those conditions were pre 2011. But I don't think they played for peanuts for their first 5 years only to make 10 times that amount afterwards. There's a huge wage disparity between rookies and the rest of the best players. I'm not sure that existed back then. If not, then they don't apply. The only thing they have in common is a cap.

What you obviously have forgotten is back then there wasn't a separate amount to sign all rookies in the cap and rookie QB's signed as rookies to much larger contracts percentage wise then so no on their next contract they didn't get 10 times more because they got many times more percentage wise on their rookie contracts than rookies do now. Because of what Sam Bradford got as a rookie which was more than 10 or more of the starting QB's in the league they decided that they needed a rookie wage scale built into the cap. So just because those QB's didn't get 10 times more on their next contract they still got what the market value was and they still won Super Bowls. You're trying to punish Prescott because he wasn't around before the rookie wage scale was started.

Flamma

Reaction score
What you obviously have forgotten is back then there wasn't a separate amount to sign all rookies in the cap and rookie QB's signed as rookies to much larger contracts percentage wise then so no on their next contract they didn't get 10 times more because they got many times more percentage wise on their rookie contracts than rookies do now. Because of what Sam Bradford got as a rookie which was more than 10 or more of the starting QB's in the league they decided that they needed a rookie wage scale built into the cap. So just because those QB's didn't get 10 times more on their next contract they still got what the market value was and they still won Super Bowls. You're trying to punish Prescott because he wasn't around before the rookie wage scale was started.

Quarterbacks were on a more level playing field back then. If everyone is getting market value then of course a QB is going to win a super bowl on market value. That's just common sense. But a QB today making 40 million a year is going to be at a huge disadvantage against a team that pays their QB nothing. Patrick Mahomes is a 5 mil cap hit this year. He'll be back next year too, or at least in the mix. But the 10 years after that, good luck.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Quarterbacks were on a more level playing field back then. If everyone is getting market value then of course a QB is going to win a super bowl on market value. That's just common sense. But a QB today making 40 million a year is going to be at a huge disadvantage against a team that pays their QB nothing. Patrick Mahomes is a 5 mil cap hit this year. He'll be back next year too, or at least in the mix. But the 10 years after that, good luck.

You are so fixated on the way things are today that you completely don't see that QB's in the past, prior to the rookie wage scale, got the market value for QB's then and still went on and won Super Bowls. Those same QB's had larger rookie contracts percentage wise compared to their cap than rookies do now compared to their cap yet those QB's and teams still won Super Bowls. You're to hung up on the fact that because of the rookie wage scale now they get a larger percentage jump than those who weret around before the rookie wage scale because they got more percentage wise as rookies. And your idea that QB's were on a more level playing field is BS in a couple was. QB's have always been the highest paid position and like now all QB's didn't make the same amount of money. Just about every year some QB became the highest paid player in the NFL. There's always been a pretty large disparity between what QB's get and any other position.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You are so fixated on the way things are today that you completely don't see that QB's in the past, prior to the rookie wage scale, got the market value for QB's then and still went on and won Super Bowls. Those same QB's had larger rookie contracts percentage wise compared to their cap than rookies do now compared to their cap yet those QB's and teams still won Super Bowls. You're to hung up on the fact that because of the rookie wage scale now they get a larger percentage jump than those who weret around before the rookie wage scale because they got more percentage wise as rookies. And your idea that QB's were on a more level playing field is BS in a couple was. QB's have always been the highest paid position and like now all QB's didn't make the same amount of money. Just about every year some QB became the highest paid player in the NFL. There's always been a pretty large disparity between what QB's get and any other position.

This has not ALWAYS been the case. In the 70's it was running backs who ruled the day. I still remember OJ Simpson holding out until the Bills made him the NFL's highest paid player at something like 750K/year. Even in the 80's backs like Bo, Dickerson, Big Earl, Herschel and Tony D earned money on par with QBs of the day. It wasn't until the 90's that the QBs started to pull away from everybody else.

Cebrin

Reaction score
why is Dak allowing his contract saga to continue this long ? This is a great town with great state tax savings , and prime time endorsements , which Dak has already cashed in on . After all , Jerry selected Dak in the 4th round while others passed on him . Jerry surrounded him with the most expensive OL RB WR combos to succeed .

The cowboys need all the savings to fix the Defense . They spent the least money on defense among all NFL teams in 2020 61.4 Mil , except for the jets .

Yet ,Dak is not relenting one inch for the sake of this team like Mahomes or Brady and others did to help their teams .

look at the fabulous discount Mahomes gave the chiefs . A dream contract by all means for a super bowl winner . The chiefs were able to spend big on defense last year , spending 97 mil to stack up their defense ( 6th highest investment in defense among all teams ) . Mahomes cap hit was actually 5.3 mil in 2020 . If he continues to play this good , his cap hit will be 24.8 mil in 2021 , and 31.5 in 2022 . This is how you win Super Bowls !!!

In contrast, Dak’s cap hit last year was 31.4 Mil and now wants 40 mil a year.?? On top of the mistake expensive zeke and other contracts ?
This is how you remain irrelevant and 25 years away from a super bowl appearance !!
He's playing with a franchise that is winning.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This has not ALWAYS been the case. In the 70's it was running backs who ruled the day. I still remember OJ Simpson holding out until the Bills made him the NFL's highest paid player at something like 750K/year. Even in the 80's backs like Bo, Dickerson, Big Earl, Herschel and Tony D earned money on par with QBs of the day. It wasn't until the 90's that the QBs started to pull away from everybody else.

Ronnie that's not all together right. I know a gut who used to be a player agent but is retired now, Mike Merkow, and he was Phil Simms agent and he got Simms a contract that made him the highest paid player in the NFL at that time. There was a time where RB's made more percentage wise than most do today, but there may have been only one or two that actually made more than QB's back then.

Kumala808

Reaction score
Im one that hopes Dak stays, but I'm at the point of who cares already. You wanna leave go right ahead. But This team needs a lot fixed besides a quarterback.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Ronnie that's not all together right. I know a gut who used to be a player agent but is retired now, Mike Merkow, and he was Phil Simms agent and he got Simms a contract that made him the highest paid player in the NFL at that time. There was a time where RB's made more percentage wise than most do today, but there may have been only one or two that actually made more than QB's back then.

I'm sure Phill Simms had a minute at the top at some point in his career.. but remember Simms' career began in the 80's. As I said, in the 80's it was still tit for tat QBs and RBs. Remember Dickerson refusing to show up to camp for the Rams until they paid him more than Everett? Who I believe was a rookie at the time. Then he would turn around and hold out again with the Colts for much the same reason when they drafted Jeff George and immediately paid him more than Dickerson.

Check out the NFL wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_NFL_season

Here is what it says about the highest paid player in 1978

The average salary for a player in 1978 was under $62,600, up 13.2 percent over the previous year. Fran Tarkenton was the highest-paid quarterback at $360,000 and running back O. J. Simpson was the highest paid player, at just under $733,400.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm sure Phill Simms had a minute at the top at some point in his career.. but remember Simms' career began in the 80's. As I said, in the 80's it was still tit for tat QBs and RBs. Remember Dickerson refusing to show up to camp for the Rams until they paid him more than Everett? Who I believe was a rookie at the time. Then he would turn around and hold out again with the Colts for much the same reason when they drafted Jeff George and immediately paid him more than Dickerson.

Check out the NFL wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_NFL_season

Here is what it says about the highest paid player in 1978

The average salary for a player in 1978 was under $62,600, up 13.2 percent over the previous year. Fran Tarkenton was the highest-paid quarterback at $360,000 and running back O. J. Simpson was the highest paid player, at just under $733,400.

Technically Simms was drafted in 1979 but you are right most of his career was in the 80's. I also said that there were probably one or two RB that made more than QB's so having just one of then, O.J. doesn't prove there were that many that did. But as far as today, this really isn't worth pushing because it has nothing to do with today. If you want I'll admit that there was a time when RB's demanded huge contracts.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Technically Simms was drafted in 1979 but you are right most of his career was in the 80's. I also said that there were probably one or two RB that made more than QB's so having just one of then, O.J. doesn't prove there were that many that did. But as far as today, this really isn't worth pushing because it has nothing to do with today. If you want I'll admit that there was a time when RB's demanded huge contracts.

Oh I think we agree that RBs no longer command the kind of salaries that QBs do. I was merely pointing out that back in the day, when running the ball was the preferred strategy on offense, running backs were kings of the salary hill. It wasn't just OJ. Nearly all star RBs made more than QBs in those days. Here's an article from 1988 about Dickerson getting to be highest paid player in the game. https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1988-01-25-8801060017-story.html

Gradually QBs caught up and took the lead in the 80's and then in the 90's they started to pull away. Then once teams realized that protecting their biggest investment was important left tackle salaries jumped up there..

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Arlington Jonesboys fans trying to argue this point forget that Dak gave Jerry Dumbo GM Jones a 5 year discount just like Mahomes did for KC and 6-10 is what giving a discount to Jerry Dumbo GM Jones gets you in the NFL.

All I have to say to Dak Prescott is what I said last year...
Go get your money lil duffle bag boy.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Only 17? I think Goff on a rookie deal had everything to do with reaching the SB. But yeah, a lot of his success was through play action to dangerous RBs. I don't see all of these QBs not named Brady collecting rings after they get paid market value. Just coincidence?
I'll have to find the breakdown posted a few months ago but it was actually a crazy statistic. It was something along the lines of only one quarterback since 2010 has won a super bowl while carrying a top 10 cap hit

Tussinman

Reaction score
I don't see all of these QBs not named Brady collecting rings after they get paid market value. Just coincidence?
I found the list. For the last 12 superbowl champions only 2 of them had top 10 cap hits for there position (Eli in 2011 was the 6th highest paid and Peyton manning in 2015 was the 5th highest) and none of them where top 4

10 out of 12 of them weren't in the top 10 and the average for all 12 was 20th highest paid..........

You can win with a high dollar QB but history has shown that it's an uphill battle and NOT the norm

Last edited:

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Carson Palmer has a point about there being significant financial benefits of being QB of the Dallas Cowboys as far as endorsements go.

He can make up for that "discount" with endorsement money.