Why is Dak refusing to give the cowboys a discount? Mahomes did!

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Obviously I can be in this thread ALL DAY!!!! I love the discussion!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
PREACH! PREACH! PREACH! Some people just don't get it and have double standards when it comes to Dak and the organization
And some people don't appear to have the cognitive process to understand that overpaying players leads to mediocrity.

Works both ways.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Absolutely.

However, we can get rid of some of these contracts soon. And then what?

It's not a discount. It's reasonable. We offered around 35 mil/season. That is not a discount.

Paying Dak 40 mil/season for 4 years assures us that we won't win in that time.
Maybe I'm wrong (which I have been before) but I thought the sides agreed on a per year number, it was the years of the contract that was holding things up. Wasn't it 37.5 per? Again I could be wrong.

kskboys

Reaction score
I feel strongly about QBs, and lineman on both sides. If you have a good one and there is not a better one available (via free agency, trade or via a top pick) you lock up what you have or move on. My question is, is there a QB that is "available" that gives us a better chance to win than Dak? If yes, let's work on signing or drafting them. If no we need to sign Dak asap. Do we give Dak the moon? No, but he's not asking for the moon based off his play and the going rate for a QB of his caliber.
Asking for a short term maxed out contract is asking for the moon. Dak needs to sign a contract like Mahomes did, so the team can work w/ it.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
And some people don't appear to have the cognitive process to understand that overpaying players leads to mediocrity.

Works both ways.
I believe that too, I'm not saying give Dak anything!!!! But what is the going rate for a QB? is what Dak is asking for unreasonable? They overpayed Zeke, and Jaylon and now folks here are talking about how soon we can cut them.

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong (which I have been before) but I thought the sides agreed on a per year number, it was the years of the contract that was holding things up. Wasn't it 37.5 per? Again I could be wrong.
Something like that.

Dak wants a short term contract for max dollars. That's a team killer contract.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Asking for a short term maxed out contract is asking for the moon. Dak needs to sign a contract like Mahomes did, so the team can work w/ it.
What would be a good contract to you for Dak from a numbers and years standpoint? Maybe I'll better understand how you're seeing it

kskboys

Reaction score
I believe that too, I'm not saying give Dak anything!!!! But what is the going rate for a QB? is what Dak is asking for unreasonable? They overpayed Zeke, and Jaylon and now folks here are talking about how soon we can cut them.
Going rate for a QB of Dak's caliber is 30ish. We're already offering more than that.

The Zeke/Jaylon/DLaw contracts were all dumb. You appear to be saying that since we were dumb w/ them, we should continue to be dumb.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Going rate for a QB of Dak's caliber is 30ish. We're already offering more than that.

The Zeke/Jaylon/DLaw contracts were all dumb. You appear to be saying that since we were dumb w/ them, we should continue to be dumb.
I think i see where you are coming from now though. So in essence you would pay Dak 30ish (around the same as Goff and Wentz)?

Portnoy1

Reaction score
10 years/37mil per year, 130 mil guaranteed. Give or take.
If I'm the Cowboys, "I say sign this we want you to be a cowboy for life. And with you locked in we are going to strengthen the lines on both ends to give you more protection so you can sling it downfield and fully show you're abilities. And also protect the leads that you give us"

kskboys

Reaction score
I think i see where you are coming from now though. So in essence you would pay Dak 30ish (around the same as Goff and Wentz)?
Well, here's the deal. A team must be able to renegotiate big contracts. An absolute must. So, I'm good w/ paying Dak, but he must be paid so he doesn't ruin the team. 37 mil over 4 years could easily do just that.

kskboys

Reaction score
If I'm the Cowboys, "I say sign this we want you to be a cowboy for life. And with you locked in we are going to strengthen the lines on both ends to give you more protection so you can sling it downfield and fully show you're abilities. And also protect the leads that you give us"
And hire a GM.

If I were Dak, I'd make that part of the deal.

Basically, looking at what Dak is insisting on, it really looks like he doesn't want to be here. I'm the straightforward type, I'd look him in the eyes and ask him.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
And hire a GM.

If I were Dak, I'd make that part of the deal.

Basically, looking at what Dak is insisting on, it really looks like he doesn't want to be here. I'm the straightforward type, I'd look him in the eyes and ask him.
See and that's a tough one, because Dak can ask that and then Jerry just hires McClay (in title only) and then still runs stuff the way he wants. It would be real tough to trust them.

kevm3

Reaction score
if the cowboys don't sign him to a deal before the draft, they better use one of those high picks and get a qb and sit him behind Dak. If you franchise him again, it's almost certain he won't sign any deal unless for astronomical money if he even agrees to one at all. This was the year where we should have 'tanked' because it would have given us options to grab a qb if we can't work things out with Dak, but now we better hope a guy falls to us.

Cmac

Reaction score
Since we're copying the Mahomes blueprint.....can we give Dak some coaching like Mahomes, to throw in the discussion?

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Since we're copying the Mahomes blueprint.....can we give Dak some coaching like Mahomes, to throw in the discussion?
Well I think Mccarthy is almost there, he just needs to add on about 50 more lbs and we're good