Why is Dak refusing to give the cowboys a discount? Mahomes did!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
10 years/37mil per year, 130 mil guaranteed. Give or take.

No way Dak would or should go that long for what would be a bottom tier salary by year 5. The only reason for going that long would be getting a salary that could rise to match the anticipated cap growth. 10 year for 400 mil with 140 guarantee and 80 million up front would be more like it. Spread the bonus out over 10 years.. ramp the salary up from 10 million in year one to closer to 50 in year 10. It would allow them to keep the cap hits ridiculously low in the first 2-3 years.. They will have a top 5 (top 10 at worst) QB for darn near a rookie cap hit for the next three seasons. If they can't build a winner with that in their favor then we should all probably start looking for a new team because they most likely never will.

Flamma

Reaction score
It’s called integrity. Give me a deal I can live with. Not something that I’m going to want to go back on in two seasons. Look at Elliot did refuse to play without a contract even though he was under contract

Just nitpicking here. Elliott refused to play without an extension to his current contract.

Flamma

Reaction score
It's his responsibility to make plays on the field and be the face of the franchise by staying out trouble. It's not his responsibility to help with the cap. He can do it as a courtesy, but to me the opportunity to do that went out the window when they signed Zeke. I don't think fans realize how bad of a message that sent. They've gotten diminishing returns from Zeke, he's been in trouble, has been suspended and held out and the reward he received was a contract extension. He obviously won't be making what Dak will, but the point is they have the nerve to look Dak in the eye and haggle over whether it's 4 or 5 year contract while paying Zeke 15million. I can take that 15 million for Zeke and that contract from Jaylon and get a legit DLINE and a legit free safety to really help the team, while drafting a midround RB who can replicate Zeke's recent diminshing production. I can come to Dak and Ask about a discount after I sign those type defensive players mentioned above, After I wait and see on Jaylon before extending him and After I tell Zeke to kick rocks.

There's risk with any extension. More so with a quarterback. The soonest a player can ask for an extension is after his 3rd year. That's typically when teams give an extension to a player they intend to keep. The longer you wait, the more difficult it becomes to structure the contract to take the best advantage of the cap hit. Now tell me because I don't know. Was Dak looking for a contract extension after 2018? From everything I've heard, he was fine, or wanted a prove it year. If that's the case, fine. But don't expect Jerry to stop handing out extensions until Dak decides the time is right.

This is all ridiculous. The last thing you want to do is wait until your quarterback's contract expires. Any player for that matter if he's any good. It's harder to keep the player. See Byron Jones. But when it does happen it's usually the GM that doesn't want you.

kskboys

Reaction score
No way Dak would or should go that long for what would be a bottom tier salary by year 5. The only reason for going that long would be getting a salary that could rise to match the anticipated cap growth. 10 year for 400 mil with 140 guarantee and 80 million up front would be more like it. Spread the bonus out over 10 years.. ramp the salary up from 10 million in year one to closer to 50 in year 10. It would allow them to keep the cap hits ridiculously low in the first 2-3 years.. They will have a top 5 (top 10 at worst) QB for darn near a rookie cap hit for the next three seasons. If they can't build a winner with that in their favor then we should all probably start looking for a new team because they most likely never will.
What you suggested isn't that much different from what I suggested.

Flamma

Reaction score
Nitpicking I don’t think so. It’s an actual fact.

I said nitpicking because I was nitpicking. You said he refused to play without a contract even though he was under contract. He never did either of those things. What he did was slightly different. Which is why I said nitpicking.

HotDog37

Reaction score

I say negate that entire narrative from ever happening and move on that way you don't have to dilly-dally around with numbers (as you are doing) and just let Dak Prescott go and wish him the best as he leaves the faciality and go out and get what you can. Man.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Asking for a short term maxed out contract is asking for the moon. Dak needs to sign a contract like Mahomes did, so the team can work w/ it.
Really? Jaylon says hello. Zeke says hello. Lawrence says hello. One Ex- Raider receiver says hello.

Exactly whom works with what?

Pssssst......the GM/Owner/CEO/Head War Daddy.

Fix that first. THEN and only then......fans and legit football players will stop being robbed.

Dallas is the new burial ground were athletes go to die.

Seven

Reaction score
27 mil over the first 4-5 yrs of the contract is a huge discount.
If you don't think he'll never see that 27 million......remove your head from the clouds. It's reel purty down here.

Ask John Elway........

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I said nitpicking because I was nitpicking. You said he refused to play without a contract even though he was under contract. He never did either of those things. What he did was slightly different. Which is why I said nitpicking.
I never said he refused to play Without a contract. I said he wouldn’t play under contract that he didn’t like because he wouldn’t want to dishonor it. That’s what I said

kskboys

Reaction score
Really? Jaylon says hello. Zeke says hello. Lawrence says hello. One Ex- Raider receiver says hello.

Exactly whom works with what?

Pssssst......the GM/Owner/CEO/Head War Daddy.

Fix that first. THEN and only then......fans and legit football players will stop being robbed.

Dallas is the new burial ground were athletes go to die.
This one doesn't make any sense either.

What are you trying to say?

Seven

Reaction score
This one doesn't make any sense either.

What are you trying to say?
I do not have the ability to paint a white board pic for ya. Sorry.

STOP acting the fool. You know damn well what is conveyed.

Didn't your mama teach you not to answer a question with a question?

Seven

Reaction score
Your post makes zero sense.
Cause you don't know the specifics of business.

Just spouting off conjecture, opinion and personal emotion.

Personal narratives never work........you'll lose track of the reality. Good luck!!