Why is Dak refusing to give the cowboys a discount? Mahomes did!

USArmyVet

Reaction score
You're another one who just wants to push Prescott's injury but using fake news to do it. List all of the players that tore ACL's and then tore that same ACL again. Prescott had some pins and a steel plate put in when he had his surgery and I haven't heard anything about going back and having them removed. Funny this, not ha ha funny, those that have had pins and plates end up with STRONGER joints than before the injury. Not only do they have the bone that healed but also the steel from the pins/and/or plate. You can fret about Prescott's injury if that makes you happy, but I'll go by what the actual doctors and trainers who are treating Prescott say over someone who made his MD shingle in his garage that he's now using to dispense his medical wisdom. Let me guess you read an article in Reader's Digest on first aide and now you can play doctor on NFL injuries.

Yet another example of a Dak lover having to attempt to insult and belittle someone who dares question the wisdom of signing Dak to a long-term contract. Typical position to be held.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I could be wrong but, here is my shot at it. Dak is not Mahomes talented and he knows it. The market is what it is. This may be his shot a getting payed.

Mahomes has "it" in spades. Dak does not posses that trait but, he is capable of wining if you put talent around him. There inlays the problem because of the reduced cap and his 36-40 mil cap he would take up.

We have a pie people. How many slices can you manage to get out of it to win the slice challenge? If someone in this God for saken franchise is smart enough to figure it out, we win. Until then grow thicker skin!;)
Well at least you have the capability to identify.
Its not that Dak is horrible and its not that Dak is great.
Why the majority choose either side is amusing... Dak is just Dak.
You got it,, average Dak wants to get paid.
Why does everyone have a hard time with this... lol

Adreme

Reaction score
Paying Mahomes 27 mil for the first 4-5 years of the contract is a huge discount. How in the world do you think it's not?

The first year of his new deal is 2022 and the cap hit that year is 35.5 million, then 42.5m, 39.5m, 42m, 42m, and then it jumps to 60m (aka the year they have to restructure/extend him and probably give him another raise in doing so). Now the reason for the 2022 number being only 35.5 is that 4 million of the new deal is being applied to his old deal via signing bonus (in 2020 and 2021 at about 2 million each).

Now depending on whether you include that 4 million saved in the first 5 year total or not you have a 5 year average of about 40-41m which is more than Watson got and he signed his deal after Mahomes. Combine that with the fact that Mahomes deal is effectively fully guaranteed (considering that you dont want to have 40-45 million in dead money in the best case scenario for cutting a player which is the case for just about every year of that deal except obviously the last one and the 60 million year) its a pretty good deal for Mahomes. Now could have have gotten more had he waited 4 years to hit free agency... almost certainly, but its hard to say Mahomes did not come out very very well for himself and gets to basically be locked in for 500 million regardless of play on a year in year out basis or random injuries.

So in essence they are not paying him 27 million for the first 4-5 years of the contract and I am assuming you were simply confused about when the contract actually starts because of it being an extension versus an entirely new deal.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes he has to sign and agree to a trade . Just don’t see jerry making that happen . He loves his star to a fault and doesn’t want to let them go . Especially that he believes he discovered dak and wants to win with him . Will be interesting to see how this unfolds .

I agree with you almost 100%. But once he signs the tag he can be traded whether or not he agrees to the trade.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No I think you're right. Those damn selfish agents executed a hostile takeover and forced him to hire them.
Fair enough.

But....what I'm saying DOES happen....and I think it did here.

Edit.....this is not an attempt to absolve Prescott from blame fyi. I just think the agent is has a personal agenda as well.

The best thing for his client was to sign for a guarantee that would be more money than he could ever spend.

He apparently advised not to sign it.

Flamma

Reaction score
If Dallas applies the non-exclusive tag to Dak he and his agent are free to negotiate with other teams and Dallas has a right to match or receive (2) 1st round draft picks in return. If Dak does not find another team to sign with and refuses to sign the non-exclusive tag then he forfeits his right to play in 2021.

So the perception that Dak holds all the leverage is not true as Dallas can apply the tag even after they possibly acquire another QB like Stafford or via the draft.

Not really a legit scenario. I wish it were true, seriously. But if Dallas applies the tag they would need the cap space in case Dak signs. So making room for Stafford's 20+ million and Dak's tag at the same time is not even possible. That's like 61 million in cap space right there. Not going to happen.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dallas screwed the pooch by not extending Dak while on his rookie deal. When a 4th rounder is looking at 1-2 more years on that crappy pay, he is going to be happier signing an extension. Lower money is still making previous deal change hugely, not to mention getting to free agency 2-3 times because it started sooner. By not extending him, Dak and his agent want more to make up for what he lost by not being extended. They want shorter because he won’t get to the end of contracts as often as guys who were extended in year 2-3 of rookie deals. It’s time to pay the piper and move forward. They need to get him signed before courting free agents,in my opinion.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
why is Dak allowing his contract saga to continue this long ? This is a great town with great state tax savings , and prime time endorsements , which Dak has already cashed in on . After all , Jerry selected Dak in the 4th round while others passed on him . Jerry surrounded him with the most expensive OL RB WR combos to succeed .

The cowboys need all the savings to fix the Defense . They spent the least money on defense among all NFL teams in 2020 61.4 Mil , except for the jets .

Yet ,Dak is not relenting one inch for the sake of this team like Mahomes or Brady and others did to help their teams .

look at the fabulous discount Mahomes gave the chiefs . A dream contract by all means for a super bowl winner . The chiefs were able to spend big on defense last year , spending 97 mil to stack up their defense ( 6th highest investment in defense among all teams ) . Mahomes cap hit was actually 5.3 mil in 2020 . If he continues to play this good , his cap hit will be 24.8 mil in 2021 , and 31.5 in 2022 . This is how you win Super Bowls !!!

In contrast, Dak’s cap hit last year was 31.4 Mil and now wants 40 mil a year.?? On top of the mistake expensive zeke and other contracts ?
This is how you remain irrelevant and 25 years away from a super bowl appearance !!

One assumes you are employed. If so, why are you not giving your employer a discount? Just because your salary and his salary are vastly different, the principle is the same.

If all your friends decided to jump off the Golden Gate bridge, would you join them?

The salary cap is the boogie man franchises use to maneuver the fan's thinking. Let's vilify a player that we don't wish to pay by bringing in the cap.

If you want to use money as an excuse, then get on Zeke's butt. I happen to like Zeke, but Dak's money went to Zeke.

The real dichotomy is Jerry would not pay Murray with the excuse of RB's losing their mojo after the first contract. Then paid Zeke.

Do any of you people whining about Dak's money look at the tea leaves and see the truth behind what is transpiring?

This also answers your question of why. Because Dak was due in the coming season. Zeke's agent played hardball and Jerry genuflected to their demands. Dak watched this and said nothing.

Dak is not the bad guy in this. Nor is his demands or his agent.

The bad guys in this are Zeke's agent and Jerry for caving.

Perhaps some of you people can pull your head gear out of your ruck sack long enough to understand this is not the player's fault. Dak is not being greedy, disrespecting this team, or holding them hostage.

He is also not the mediocre player people assign to him because they are tinkled off.

IT IS JERRY JONES' FAULT.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
why is Dak allowing his contract saga to continue this long ? This is a great town with great state tax savings , and prime time endorsements , which Dak has already cashed in on . After all , Jerry selected Dak in the 4th round while others passed on him . Jerry surrounded him with the most expensive OL RB WR combos to succeed .

The cowboys need all the savings to fix the Defense . They spent the least money on defense among all NFL teams in 2020 61.4 Mil , except for the jets .

Yet ,Dak is not relenting one inch for the sake of this team like Mahomes or Brady and others did to help their teams .

look at the fabulous discount Mahomes gave the chiefs . A dream contract by all means for a super bowl winner . The chiefs were able to spend big on defense last year , spending 97 mil to stack up their defense ( 6th highest investment in defense among all teams ) . Mahomes cap hit was actually 5.3 mil in 2020 . If he continues to play this good , his cap hit will be 24.8 mil in 2021 , and 31.5 in 2022 . This is how you win Super Bowls !!!

In contrast, Dak’s cap hit last year was 31.4 Mil and now wants 40 mil a year.?? On top of the mistake expensive zeke and other contracts ?
This is how you remain irrelevant and 25 years away from a super bowl appearance !!
Where is your proof that Dak is refusing to give the Cowboys a discount?

If you don't have any proof, just shut it. We're tired of hearing you Dak haters spew your venom full of lies already.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
This is a good question. I fully understand that every player has a right and an obligation to seek the best contract possible for himself and his family. I don't expect any player to give a discount to the Cowboys. But still, when you see this, it means a lot. It means the player wants to be with the team. It means he wants to win, and it means he has a lot of confidence in himself and his ability to take the team to a championship. Guys who pinch pennies or show too much concern for the contracts appear to put winning second to personal status. Honestly, when a player gets $100 million guaranteed over 5 years, is a couple of million more so important to him that he won't sign? To me, that is a sing he is not fully committed to this team even though he may think he is. I don't it against Dak that he wants what he wants and won't settle for less, but I'd rather have the guy willing to shave a few bucks off his contract to be with this team.

This is why I think the Cowboys and Dak will part ways at some point. If Dak holds out for $40 million, a number I would never pay him, or refuses to sign a deal at all forcing the Cowboys to franchise him again, then I would trade him. If he does not sign in 2021 then he is never going to sign and next year they cannot franchise him. In 2022 he walks and the Cowboys get nothing more than a 3rd round comp pick. Trade him in 2021 and they should be able to get at least a 1st round pick for him.

I know it sucks to have to go find a QB again, but it is not up to the Cowboys alone. Dak has to agree to stay in Dallas and despite his words, which mean nothing, by not signing to a reasonable deal he is showing he is not committed to Dallas. And the Cowboys offered him a very reasonable deal based on media reports.

That fifth year could be the difference in $40 million dollars if the cap explodes the way it is projected. It's serious money. I don't think the contract that supposedly was almost agreed on will fly now. Dallas will be lucky to pay Dak 4 years at $35 million now. For all we know Dak will want a three-year deal.

conner01

Reaction score

If Mahomes contract is so great maybe that what the cowboys should offer Dak
I bet he’d sign a half billion dollar deal and problem solved

basel90

Reaction score
That's pretty dumb statement.

If your company comes to you and says give up 5 percent of your salary and we can keep this other guy and make him happy, would you do it?

Us, mahomes got a new contract two years before his contract would end and got a whole bunch of money way in advance, it's different than having fulfilled your contract and now negotiating for a new one. Plus mahomes average is 50M which is way above current QB market and he will renegotiate in 4 or 5 years and push 60....

Your post is totally meaningless.
You’re being very naive , and have your facts wrong about the contracts . Please get your facts and analysis straight .

basel90

Reaction score
It's not asking him to give up anything. This is where you guys have a disconnect. It's asking him to take a reasonable salary.

Dak is not under contract, so there is no such thing as giving up any of his salary.
Exactly . But he doesn’t get it . He is a Dak slobberer .

basel90

Reaction score
One assumes you are employed. If so, why are you not giving your employer a discount? Just because your salary and his salary are vastly different, the principle is the same.

If all your friends decided to jump off the Golden Gate bridge, would you join them?

The salary cap is the boogie man franchises use to maneuver the fan's thinking. Let's vilify a player that we don't wish to pay by bringing in the cap.

If you want to use money as an excuse, then get on Zeke's butt. I happen to like Zeke, but Dak's money went to Zeke.

The real dichotomy is Jerry would not pay Murray with the excuse of RB's losing their mojo after the first contract. Then paid Zeke.

Do any of you people whining about Dak's money look at the tea leaves and see the truth behind what is transpiring?

This also answers your question of why. Because Dak was due in the coming season. Zeke's agent played hardball and Jerry genuflected to their demands. Dak watched this and said nothing.

Dak is not the bad guy in this. Nor is his demands or his agent.

The bad guys in this are Zeke's agent and Jerry for caving.

Perhaps some of you people can pull your head gear out of your ruck sack long enough to understand this is not the player's fault. Dak is not being greedy, disrespecting this team, or holding them hostage.

He is also not the mediocre player people assign to him because they are tinkled off.

IT IS JERRY JONES' FAULT.
If Dak wants this team to succeed and if he wants a super bowl , then he would have work the contract . Otherwise , if money is his only motive then you’re 100% accurate.
You are 100% accurate about zeke as well , the real waste right there . And Jerry dumb enough to go along .

basel90

Reaction score
500 million
Heck of a discount
Would you or any cowboy fan prefer such a contract with all the future value of money impact plus 2-3 or 4 Super Bowls and a legend QB ?
Or just do with what Dak thinks he is worth ? We have seen what he can do . No thanks .