Why is everyone anointing Scarborough as the RB2?

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Tavon will be viewed as a web back but won’t be officially a RB.

Bo had some of his best college games against the best competition when it mattered most.

They carried zeke McFadden Morris and smith last year but suddenly we’ll be fine with just zeke smith and Austin?

vaturkey

Reaction score
Zeke, Smith and Morris. Bo would have to beat out one of the last two guys.....doubtful.

Morris is gone. That said, there is always someone you can't count on showing up. Our second string running back not even be on the team yet.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Morris is gone. That said, there is always someone you can't count on showing up. Our second string running back not even be on the team yet.

Yea, deleted it, had a brainfart :laugh:

We'll see what happens but I would not pencil in a 7th round pick a spot on the roster just yet.

conner01

Reaction score
Tavons not a rb he maybe used as one but on game day he will be a PR and 4th WR used as a scat back type but from off the line as a WR..they definitely will have some of these guys inactive on some game days as Thompson will also be that type from the slot and a P/K Ret

we are assuming that they all make the team, that may not be the case..TA starts Fumbling in preseason and isn't productive he may get cut..goes for all the new guys..this is OTA MC and TC they will need to prove themselves
He mostly fumbles on punts
Don’t let him return punts
He’s gonna be on the roster as a RB no matter where he lines up
He may return kicks but he shouldn’t return punts

conner01

Reaction score
Can't wait to see him returning kickoffs.
If the new kick off rule is implemented he could have value as one of the two blocks on KO
And he may be able to cover on ST
He needs to be able to contribute to be active
Zeke ain’t gonna play ST

BlindFaith

Reaction score
He was a late 7th rounder for a reason. These are the type of picks that get traded for practice squad prospects and washed up JAGs. Maybe he's another Alfred Morris, but he's not going to get the opportunity Morris had because the Commanders had a hole at RB that year after drafting both RG3 and Cousins.

He's not particularly fast or great at anything, just a decent body to have on the team. Let's not forget we still have some guys who can, you know, run the ball, with NFL experience behind them.

RB1 - Zeke
RB2 (Alf role) - R. Smith
3DRB (Dunbar role) - Tavon Austin
RB4 - Scarborough

Anyone who thinks Scarborough is going to get 250+ yards in the regular season or anything crazy like that is fooling themselves big time.

Why is everyone anointing Rod Smith as the number two?

Smith wasn't even drafted. Bo is just as big, quicker and faster.

I like Smith. He is an ok fill in, but nothing more. He is a lot like Troy Hambrick. Our one year wonder when he backed up Emmitt.

I like the competition. Let the best man win.

CPanther95

Reaction score
If he becomes the RB2, then he made a wise decision coming out early. He was going to be RB3 if he had stayed in college.

Sydla

Reaction score

I like Smith. He is an ok fill in, but nothing more. He is a lot like Troy Hambrick. Our one year wonder when he backed up Emmitt.

I think Smith would have a leg up being in the system for a few years. He also is a key special teams guy.

That being said, if Scarborough shows he's a competent back and can play special teams well, I could see him unseating Smith as the #2.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I think Smith would have a leg up being in the system for a few years. He also is a key special teams guy.

That being said, if Scarborough shows he's a competent back and can play special teams well, I could see him unseating Smith as the #2.
Sure he would. He knows the system.

Now, clearly there was something about Bo that had him sliding into the 7th. But it wasn't the lack of physical ability.

Maybe he's not that bright? Maybe he doesn't work hard? Off field issues? Who knows.

But simply comparing physical ability, I think Bo has Rod beat.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sure he would. He knows the system.

Now, clearly there was something about Bo that had him sliding into the 7th. But it wasn't the lack of physical ability.

Maybe he's not that bright? Maybe he doesn't work hard? Off field issues? Who knows.

But simply comparing physical ability, I think Bo has Rod beat.

One thing it was a pretty good draft for RB you had 8 RB taken in the 1st 3 rds, and Bo is not seen as a 3 down back which I think lead him to slide in the draft

DHCBF66

Reaction score
He was a late 7th rounder for a reason. These are the type of picks that get traded for practice squad prospects and washed up JAGs. Maybe he's another Alfred Morris, but he's not going to get the opportunity Morris had because the Commanders had a hole at RB that year after drafting both RG3 and Cousins.

He's not particularly fast or great at anything, just a decent body to have on the team. Let's not forget we still have some guys who can, you know, run the ball, with NFL experience behind them.

RB1 - Zeke
RB4 - Scarborough

Anyone who thinks Scarborough is going to get 250+ yards in the regular season or anything crazy like that is fooling themselves big time.
I see him as a 3rd and short bulldozer type!

jujoboys

Reaction score

RB1 - Zeke
RB4 - Scarborough

I think for now he is the 4th RB going into camp. However, I really don't think Rod Smith is that good and he could easily take Smith's place if he can play special teams. If you are going to judge him against the other backs by saying that he was a 7th rounder then just remember that Rod Smith was not even drafted. Also, Bo Scarborough was the 6th fastest RB at the combine. He is a bruiser that runs like Tarzan when he hits the hole while Rod Smith has Tarzan's body but hits the hole like Jane. That being said, I am not comfortable that we have a guy on the roster that could take over as the #1 if Elliott went down with an injury or suspension. Rod Smith couldn't even beat out Alfred Morris last year and Smith's runs were less than mediocre other than one big run he made. Take out the one 45 yard run that had a hole so big that any back could have made the play and Smith had 54 carries for 187 yards (3.6 ypc). I don't understand the fascination with Rod Smith.

Let's talk more about 40 times. Rod Smith ran the following 40 times (can be found on draftscout) 4.52. 4.64, and 4.75. Bo Scarborough ran a 4.52.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I think for now he is the 4th RB going into camp. However, I really don't think Rod Smith is that good and he could easily take Smith's place if he can play special teams. If you are going to judge him against the other backs by saying that he was a 7th rounder then just remember that Rod Smith was not even drafted. Also, Bo Scarborough was the 6th fastest RB at the combine. He is a bruiser that runs like Tarzan when he hits the hole while Rod Smith has Tarzan's body but hits the hole like Jane. That being said, I am not comfortable that we have a guy on the roster that could take over as the #1 if Elliott went down with an injury or suspension. Rod Smith couldn't even beat out Alfred Morris last year and Smith's runs were less than mediocre other than one big run he made. Take out the one 45 yard run that had a hole so big that any back could have made the play and Smith had 54 carries for 187 yards (3.6 ypc). I don't understand the fascination with Rod Smith.

Let's talk more about 40 times. Rod Smith ran the following 40 times (can be found on draftscout) 4.52. 4.64, and 4.75. Bo Scarborough ran a 4.52.

There are no official 40 times for Smith. He didn't go to the combine and never had a pro day work out. Those numbers you posted from draft scout, I think, come from maybe school reported times? Not sure. But they are far from official in any way.

But the over all premise I agree with. Bo is faster, quicker, stronger and just as big as Smith.

Hardline

Reaction score
He is a slight notch below Derrick Henry.
He will have to be tackled before he hits the line of scrimmage. He will break off huge chunks of yardage on missed tackles alone.
You will see it in pre season.

blueblood70

Reaction score

dude I thought the same thing but didnt post..but thats a good Comp...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tavon will be viewed as a web back but won’t be officially a RB.

Bo had some of his best college games against the best competition when it mattered most.

They carried zeke McFadden Morris and smith last year but suddenly we’ll be fine with just zeke smith and Austin?

We carried the extra back because of Elliot’s impending suspension.

Bo’s here to compete with Rod Smith and to take preseason reps. It’s his chance to hang onto a roster if he’s impressive, and to get some tape to jump start his career. He’s got PS written on him otherwise.