Why is everyone anointing Scarborough as the RB2?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL.

I think what's also funny is the anointing of Tavon Austin as a key player for us despite being largely a bust since he's entered the league.

But somehow, this staff is gonna resurrect his career and turn him into a legitimate weapon?

I can't believe it either.

Tavon might be a nice little player for us if we are lucky but things are bad if you're relying on him.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
He was a late 7th rounder for a reason. These are the type of picks that get traded for practice squad prospects and washed up JAGs. Maybe he's another Alfred Morris, but he's not going to get the opportunity Morris had because the Commanders had a hole at RB that year after drafting both RG3 and Cousins.

He's not particularly fast or great at anything, just a decent body to have on the team. Let's not forget we still have some guys who can, you know, run the ball, with NFL experience behind them.

RB1 - Zeke
RB2 (Alf role) - R. Smith
3DRB (Dunbar role) - Tavon Austin
RB4 - Scarborough

Anyone who thinks Scarborough is going to get 250+ yards in the regular season or anything crazy like that is fooling themselves big time.
Scarbrough has a place on the 53. Watch it happen.

Flamma

Reaction score
He was a late 7th rounder for a reason. These are the type of picks that get traded for practice squad prospects and washed up JAGs. Maybe he's another Alfred Morris, but he's not going to get the opportunity Morris had because the Commanders had a hole at RB that year after drafting both RG3 and Cousins.

He's not particularly fast or great at anything, just a decent body to have on the team. Let's not forget we still have some guys who can, you know, run the ball, with NFL experience behind them.

RB1 - Zeke
RB4 - Scarborough

Anyone who thinks Scarborough is going to get 250+ yards in the regular season or anything crazy like that is fooling themselves big time.

I don't think for a second he's going to beat out Rod Smith. But to be honest, If he looks halfway decent in pre-season I'd rather have Scarborough than Austin. If we're not going to take advantage of Tavon's speed other than to run gimmick sweeps and pitches, I'd rather have the powerful sphere back there. Don't get me wrong, I do think he has to prove his value. But I pretty much agree with you. I just hope they find a way to use Austin in the passing game.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't think for a second he's going to beat out Rod Smith. But to be honest, If he looks halfway decent in pre-season I'd rather have Scarborough than Austin. If we're not going to take advantage of Tavon's speed other than to run gimmick sweeps and pitches, I'd rather have the powerful sphere back there. Don't get me wrong, I do think he has to prove his value. But I pretty much agree with you. I just hope they find a way to use Austin in the passing game.
Scarborough has the genes to be much better than Rod and Rod is OK as a backup

6'1'' 230lbs and runs a 4.5 and has 40'' vertical is pretty special and his tape at ALA is legit
He is not some FB from Mt Union

RSmith is a glorified FB with HB skills and is a good STer...... that is his role

Always
Be
Churning

You don't fall in love with guys like RSmith because they try hard.....they are supposed to try hard

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The only way he makes the 53 is injury and/or we carry 4 RBs. Perhaps they count Austin as a WR in which case he's RB3. I don't see them cutting the current FB obtained from Oakland.
really Big Guy?

I think he runs crazy b/w the 20's..

We need somebody who can let Zeke not breakdown carrying the load.

This guy is going to hurt somebody this year.

I think he easily replaces Smith in the offense.

Last edited:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
If he even makes the team, I'll be surprised if he is consistently on the active game day roster...

aikemirv

Reaction score

RB1 - Zeke
RB4 - Scarborough

Because he played for Alabama.
Not that I agree with that.

GenoT

Reaction score
Like any Cowboys draft pick, l’ll say good luck to him. But if/when Scarborough happens to get cut, there’ll be @20 hand-wrininging threads on here, all saying how stupid the FO is and how releasing Bo will one day come back to haunt us, etc. Kinda like what happened with that other instant HOF RB, Darius Jackson.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Scarborough has the genes to be much better than Rod and Rod is OK as a backup

6'1'' 230lbs and runs a 4.5 and has 40'' vertical is pretty special and his tape at ALA is legit
He is not some FB from Mt Union

RSmith is a glorified FB with HB skills and is a good STer...... that is his role

Always
Be
Churning

You don't fall in love with guys like RSmith because they try hard.....they are supposed to try hard

At least we only used a 7th on an often injured Trent Richardson, and not a 1st like the Browns.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
He is a slight notch below Derrick Henry.
He will have to be tackled before he hits the line of scrimmage. He will break off huge chunks of yardage on missed tackles alone.
You will see it in pre season.
Sounds like he'd be a powerful weapon in bad weather games.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If he even makes the team, I'll be surprised if he is consistently on the active game day roster...
Rod Smith runs a 4.7..... he is a glorified FB

Someone named Trey Williams is the only other RB on the roster...... I will take my chances on Bo

Sydla

Reaction score
I can't believe it either.

Tavon might be a nice little player for us if we are lucky but things are bad if you're relying on him.

I am just hoping we get a small handful of big plays from him on reverses and maybe in the return game and a couple of caught bombs.

And I'd consider that a big win.

zerofill

Reaction score
I don't think anyone even remotely feels he is replacing Zeke lol. Zeke when he is on point, is a bulldozer. But Zeke loves contact, so maybe they took another bulldozer, so they could save Zeke from himself, and make his career longer. Because Zeke's style of running, wanting to run everything over, isn't exactly good for longevity. But it is fun to watch!

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
EE......................................Bo...........RSmith...................TAustin

That is a pretty solid rotation