Why is everyone anointing Scarborough as the RB2?

zerofill

Reaction score
EE......................................Bo...........RSmith...................TAustin

That is a pretty solid rotation

I always thought Austin could have been great in the right scheme. He is a burner... probably as close in speed as we are going to get to Tyreek Hill. He still has burner speed.

Flamma

Reaction score
Scarborough has the genes to be much better than Rod and Rod is OK as a backup

6'1'' 230lbs and runs a 4.5 and has 40'' vertical is pretty special and his tape at ALA is legit
He is not some FB from Mt Union

RSmith is a glorified FB with HB skills and is a good STer...... that is his role

Always
Be
Churning

You don't fall in love with guys like RSmith because they try hard.....they are supposed to try hard

Well look, Bo still has to prove himself. Lets get there first. If he can do what you say I am all for it. I don't think Rod Smith just tries hard, I think he is an above average player. I don't think he's a JAG.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I always thought Austin could have been great in the right scheme. He is a burner... probably as close in speed as we are going to get to Tyreek Hill. He still has burner speed.
I like his addition

No pressure, no big contract.......just top level speed and a nice change of pace

Word is Switzer didn't want to be a Slashlete and that is why we traded him and got TAustin

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I would take Smith receiving over Bo though.
I think that is the Olawale role now

And you are right.....every rookie RB has to show they can handle the passing game and that includes Blitz pickups

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Well look, Bo still has to prove himself. Lets get there first. If he can do what you say I am all for it. I don't think Rod Smith just tries hard, I think he is an above average player. I don't think he's a JAG.
You gotta tap the brakes on "above average player" for Rod

He is good but has had trouble beating out KSmith

But a running team can never have enough good RBs

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I'm waiting to anoint Scarbrough until after he bulldozes a bunch of practice squaders and FA's in the pre-season.

;)

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I would take Smith receiving over Bo though.
Olawale is one of the fastest FBs in the league and also one of the better route running ones. Definitely a big upgrade over Keith Smith.

Like Olawale as the I-formation and offset pro formation upback. When we go 21 pro with Schultz or Swaim, we will have the best blocking combo for Zeke vs. 8 in the box that we've ever had since Zeke got here (really since the Emmitt days).

I'm still a big proponent of running out of the gun or ace with 10 formations. 6 in the box means Zeke only has one man to beat, or none if one of our elite linemen win early and get upfield to block the mike.

Or try the 20 formation with Olawale. Lots of combos.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Is Bo a poor man's Brandon Jacobs? A poor man's Derrick Henry? Or is he a poor man's Rod Smith?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven't seen him anointed but the fact he was Bama's back surprised me that he was around in the 7th. Schools like Auburn, Bama and Georgia get the cream of the RB crop because of their rep for running it.

Scarborough was seen as the heir to Derrick Henry only Henry got the better OL and OC. Scarborough did not stand up to the hype about him, the NFL is still a passing league and he's not seen as a home run hitter.

According to Booger's son, they want Austin to get 12-24 touches a game, which I think is laughable, so if that doesn't come at the expense of Zeke's touches, I think the #2 is pretty well set.

They will sell Bo's attributes because that's what they do but he was the only real name left at the end of the 3rd day and we don't know if they think he'll even make the PS. They pretty much already have that type player in Smith so I think he's a bit of a long shot to make it but he will make a good practice player for tackling because when he gets it up, he can hit like a train. He will be no fun to tackle but very necessary because the D will be facing some real runners this season.

KDM256

Reaction score
In for later... People are going to be eating a lot of crow in this thread come week 10. Only concern I have with Bo is durability throughout the entire season. Last year numbers were down from his sophomore season because he didn't want to ruin his draft stock by getting hurt again in year 3.

One cut back with underrated speed once he gets moving. Great games against some great defenses in the SEC/Games that mattered and the film doesn't lie. As a matter of fact, I would go on to say that Alabama wins back to back Championships against Clemson in 2017 Championship game if Scarborough doesn't get hurt. He had a monster game and Clemson didn't have an answer for him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Bo a poor man's Brandon Jacobs? A poor man's Derrick Henry? Or is he a poor man's Rod Smith?
Jacobs was faster and larger but did not have the power that Bo has. When I heard his name called, I was shocked,. I'd thought he would have been gone no later than the 4th. I wasn't necessarily overjoyed that we got him as much as I was shocked he had fallen that far.

This was a Garrett pick, imo. His connection to Saban is still strong and Saban was a big believer in Scarbrough and felt the injuries were his biggest obstacle. When the kid was 100%, he was a damned good runner. And he was a pile mover.

He could end up being the best surprise out of this draft. I watched him play a lot and he could move the pile and it's not like he didn't play against good run D's. Plus he practiced against one of the best, if not the best, run D's in college ball. If he can stay healthy, he will come to play and play hard.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Because they like him, maybe? It's not like it's a sin, relax. It will work itself out.

Dre11

Reaction score
He was a late 7th rounder for a reason. These are the type of picks that get traded for practice squad prospects and washed up JAGs. Maybe he's another Alfred Morris, but he's not going to get the opportunity Morris had because the Commanders had a hole at RB that year after drafting both RG3 and Cousins.

He's not particularly fast or great at anything, just a decent body to have on the team. Let's not forget we still have some guys who can, you know, run the ball, with NFL experience behind them.

RB1 - Zeke
RB2 (Alf role) - R. Smith
3DRB (Dunbar role) - Tavon Austin
RB4 - Scarborough

Anyone who thinks Scarborough is going to get 250+ yards in the regular season or anything crazy like that is fooling themselves big time.

Dude, the draft is entertainment, it doesn’t matter where you’re drafted, if you go out and ball,put the work in, believe in your abilities, take advantage of every opportunity you get to show you belong, good things usually happen, being drafted in the 7th round doesn’t dictate your nfl future.

Dre11

Reaction score
Short yardage plays... only if Zeke goes down.

There simply isn't a safer bet in the NFL than Zeke on 3rd & 1, both the analytics and the eye test prove it.

And it's not just about who can bully their way into the line the hardest. If so, all 32 teams would run a huge brusing fullback in each of those situations. Nope, it's about ballcarrier vision, ability to have the innate sense to hit the right hole in the split second. Football smarts and field awareness, there isn't a better runner than Zeke in the NFL.

Example... Fournette is a talented young back, but he's inferior to Zeke in all the intangible ways. Against the Patriots he gets stuffed on critical short yardage downs because he just can't hit the right hole at the right time. Zeke would have won the Jaguars that game.

Still you don’t want to run Zeke in the ground, if you have a guy that can punish the defense when Zeke gets his blow, it makes Zeke even more dangerous.