CFZ Why is this not obvious to our FO?

rambo2

Reaction score
Actually shows even more failure that you can have multiple 12 win seasons AND STILL not play in an NFC championship game. Regula season wins mean nothing when they continue to lose in the wildcard or divisional round.
Landry lost some playoff games. It isn't over with the current team. They haven't quit. They still play the games this year and they will next year too.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Landry lost some playoff games. It isn't over with the current team. They haven't quit. They still play the games this year and they will next year too.
And Landry had 20 consecutive winning seasons while Jerry has been a loser ever since Jimmy talent got old and went to other teams in free agency.

rambo2

Reaction score
And Landry had 20 consecutive winning seasons while Jerry has been a loser ever since Jimmy talent got old and went to other teams in free agency.
Jerry won 3 super bowls. Landry won 2. When Landry was coaching there was no free agency. The players stayed where they were drafted.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You may be right about this. But I’m curious. Why do you think:
a) Bill B would ever agree to coach here when he’s always had total control of the locker room and always speaks for the team himself. I just can’t see him ever agreeing to work in this circus environment.
b) Jerry would allow one of the greatest coaches in football history to steal any of his spotlight?

Again, you may be right pacy…but I have serious doubts about BB ever being here. I’m skeptical also because I also think Bill B is over the hill and the game has passed him by.
It would be a similar situation as with Parcells. Jethro would eventually meddle too much and Bill would get frustrated and leave before the job was done.

Belichick wouldn’t come here unless his phone isn’t ringing. Why would he?

Two things are more likely to happen. One is we resign Dak and have another playoff season which we’ll also resign MM despite results in playoffs cause Dak and MM are basically good enough together to stay the course.

Or this season collapses or derails regardless whether we resign Dak and MM is fired during season and name Zimmerman intern. And pending results after that he could get an extension to remain as HC. But not a long deal.

I still think we’ll resign Dak and prob MM assuming we are a playoff team again. And continue chugging away hoping to finally break thru one season.

If we don’t then all bets are off. Anything could happen which I don’t have any confidence will be a better situation anytime soon.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry won 3 super bowls. Landry won 2. When Landry was coaching there was no free agency. The players stayed where they were drafted.
That’s not necessarily accurate. There was FA. It just wasn’t unlimited.

It’s how we acquired great players like Adderly, Alworth, Ditka, Dutton, P Pearson and others.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
“What gives us the best chance to win?”
Forgetting about the upcoming season as something that can produce a SB winner would be the first step to recovery, but we know money doesn't do that, does it?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Actually shows even more failure that you can have multiple 12 win seasons AND STILL not play in an NFC championship game. Regula season wins mean nothing when they continue to lose in the wildcard or divisional round.
It’s no doubt a double edged sword . On one hand the Cowboys have had historically record futility this era in the playoffs.

No one has ever had 3 consecutive 12 win seasons without at least an appearance in championship game.

And we are one of only a handful of teams this era who haven’t at least made a championship appearance.

But I wouldn’t say winning divisions and making the playoffs means nothing. It just hasn’t led to any success in the playoffs.

rambo2

Reaction score
but he got there and kept getting there and actually won it all and played for it all and your jethro and company have not done it this century
They could this year and the franchise was a mess when Jerry bought it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Their new dtackle is a good player.
I don’t dislike the Jordan Phillips acquisition. But getting a 31 year old DT who is on the downside of a decent career is going to help with depth but it won’t be a “dominant” pickup.

Basically he‘s Jonathan Hankins 2.0 for about $700k a year cheaper. And there’s a reason why a division rival is willing to trade him. He’s not considered a a huge difference maker or the giants wouldn’t have given him up.

rambo2

Reaction score
I don’t dislike the Jordan Phillips acquisition. But getting a 31 year old DT who is on the downside of a decent career is going to help with depth but it won’t be a “dominant” pickup.

Basically he‘s Jonathan Hankins 2.0 for about $700k a year cheaper. And there’s a reason why a division rival is willing to trade him. He’s not considered a a huge difference maker or the giants wouldn’t have given him up.
He is better than Hankins. He has range and can rush the passer and play the run.