Why is this so complicated for the NFL? Improve the terrible officiating!

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Have officials upstairs. With slow motion replay!
They already have review officials on certain plays and you can't review every play, I acknowledge that you could probably throw a flag on every play but I just wish they'd let the teams play and not throw a flag on a ticky tack foul when it doesn't influence the outcome of the play...

kevm3

Reaction score
They won't change it because they use it to control the flow and outcome of games.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We start with BLATANT calls, or non calls. These happen almost every game. They can be reviewed between plays, so the time and flow of the game would not be effected to much. Commercials already effect the flow of the game.
but what if a blatant call or non call occurs right after a break? what if it takes a minute to review and the other team runs a play? what if it happens during a two minute offense?

I get your point, but NFL has to think through scenarios.

IMHO, they should provide 5 read flags to the coaches and it can be used any time. the team then can review each play and decide on throwing a red flag or not. they can either choose to take a 10 yard penalty or lose a timeout if their challenge is overturned. I don't know. just a thought.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Unfortunately the non calls will be opening a can of worms. There is holding on every play somewhere. I agree with Parsons getting held badly and right in front of the refs makes it worse. But the tripping call and ones like that should be over ridden by upstairs. Plain and simple.
That's what everyone says but it's hard to find one in the Dallas- Detroit game. There was about 12 in the Dallas- Miami game ...10 on Miami.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Every flag should be reviewable by refs upstairs!

If it is a BLATANT mistake, like a ref calling the wrong team for a tripping penalty, the refs in the both calls down immediately, and tells the head ref to pickup the flag. I also believe BLATANT non calls, that EVERYONE at home can see, should be called by the ref upstairs. This extra official reviews the play, between plays, and makes a decision quickly to not hinder the flow of the game and to not increase the length of the game by too much. GET THE CALLS RIGHT!!!!

Also, coaches should be able to review everything, including judgement calls ( holding, pass interference, roughing the passer, etc.) Refs screw up on these calls all the time. The refs are moving fast and things are happening quickly. Sometimes they do not see what they think they see. If the refs upstairs are doing their job coaches will probably not have as many challenges.

Also, refs on the field, should never go under the hood to review a play. Let the refs upstairs, who are only focusing on penalties make the call. Refs on the field are focusing on a lot of different things. Let the refs in the both focus on the reviews AND the blatant mistakes( wrong player called for tripping etc.)

Blatantly bad calls that EVERYONE sees at home MUST be fixed!!!!! There is no excuse in the year 2024, with the technology the NFL has( camera angles everywhere etc.) to allow BLATANTLY BAD calls to go unfixed!!!!
This is no different in basketball or baseball.

NBA lets superstars travel, carry the ball and or is declared a foul of they happen to miss a shot badly.

Strikes zones are different for the superstars in baseball. Opposite with superstar pitchers.

Is it corrupt possibly. Is it human error, superstar bias, Vegas influence. Difficult to prove and it keeps fans talking about the game. Which is what they want at the end of the day.

droopdog7

Reaction score
LOL, games are going to be 8 hrs long. What the OP suggests isn't practical, and will make for an infinitely worse game.

Just accept that the refs are part of the game. They probably make many fewer mistakes than the players themselves, yet fans expect them to be perfect.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Blatant is subjective.

You're not fixing anything.
In the rule book Blatant can be defined. Laws and rules are defined all the time.

Example: If the average football fan thinks the penalty is blatant then the subjective play is a penalty. Not really complicated.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
In the rule book Blatant can be defined. Laws and rules are defined all the time.

Example: If the average football fan thinks the penalty is blatant then the subjective play is a penalty. Not really complicated.
No it can't.

I don't think you really know what subjective means lol

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
LOL, games are going to be 8 hrs long. What the OP suggests isn't practical, and will make for an infinitely worse game.

Just accept that the refs are part of the game. They probably make many fewer mistakes than the players themselves, yet fans expect them to be perfect.
The refs upstairs can fix the BLATANT penalties/non penalties that EVERYONE at home can see.
There is no excuse for everyone at home to see a BLATANT penalty or non call and for the NFL not to fix it.

How much extra time would it have taken for a ref upstairs in our game to call down to the field and say, “pickup the tripping penalty, there was no tripping”. I say probably non!

That one bad call, that could have been fixed EXTREMELY easily, very well could have changed the outcome of that game.
If that penalty is not called we probably run out the clock, or kick the FG with about 30 seconds left on the clock with Detroit getting the kickoff with no timeouts and down by 7.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
No it can't.

I don't think you really know what subjective means lol
You definitely can use a definition that everyone agrees on to define Blatant if you are trying to make a ruling in a court of law. Our justice system does it all the time.

I think you are embarrassing yourself and I do know what subjective means.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
This is no different in basketball or baseball.

NBA lets superstars travel, carry the ball and or is declared a foul of they happen to miss a shot badly.

Strikes zones are different for the superstars in baseball. Opposite with superstar pitchers.

Is it corrupt possibly. Is it human error, superstar bias, Vegas influence. Difficult to prove and it keeps fans talking about the game. Which is what they want at the end of the day.
I don’t really think the NFL wants the fans constantly complaining about the officiating.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

If it is a BLATANT mistake, like a ref calling the wrong team for a tripping penalty, the refs in the both calls down immediately, and tells the head ref to pickup the flag. I also believe BLATANT non calls, that EVERYONE at home can see, should be called by the ref upstairs. This extra official reviews the play, between plays, and makes a decision quickly to not hinder the flow of the game and to not increase the length of the game by too much. GET THE CALLS RIGHT!!!!

Also, coaches should be able to review everything, including judgement calls ( holding, pass interference, roughing the passer, etc.) Refs screw up on these calls all the time. The refs are moving fast and things are happening quickly. Sometimes they do not see what they think they see. If the refs upstairs are doing their job coaches will probably not have as many challenges.

Also, refs on the field, should never go under the hood to review a play. Let the refs upstairs, who are only focusing on penalties make the call. Refs on the field are focusing on a lot of different things. Let the refs in the both focus on the reviews AND the blatant mistakes( wrong player called for tripping etc.)

Blatantly bad calls that EVERYONE sees at home MUST be fixed!!!!! There is no excuse in the year 2024, with the technology the NFL has( camera angles everywhere etc.) to allow BLATANTLY BAD calls to go unfixed!!!!
Bringing in video refs for every decision won't solve anything. We will have the very same discussions, only that every game now takes much longer.

Why do I know this? Because in soccer that's what they did and it hasn't helped one bit.

Most fans want to get back to the old system without any VRs. Just accept that refs are people and make mistakes too. Even if that impacts game changing moments the wrong way. Don't take part if you can't accept that.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
They won't change it because they use it to control the flow and outcome of games.
^This! Officiating is a perfect instrument to control the flow of games. A little offensive hold here, defensive holding there, and viola! Drives either end or get extended. Then the NFL hides behind the veil of ref incompetence. The NFL and owners benefit immensely from these so called incompetent refs.

exciter

Reaction score

Ah, so 6 hour games! It’s 7 middle aged men trying to keep up with 22 ultra superior athletes. There’s going to be numerous missed calls throughout a game. The only way to be completely fair under your scenario would be to review every player on after every play. It’s easy to criticize a call being missed on a replay (usually involving 2 players) but they were having to watch 20 others. You start thouroghly reviewing all these plays as mentioned and you’re probably going to find a penalty somewhere on every play!

Swanny

Reaction score

Because the controversy rings in $$$$. It's all intentional.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don’t really think the NFL wants the fans constantly complaining about the officiating.
Every sporting event fans complain.

The one I don't get is boxing. Can you imagine playing a football game with no score? Then the ref's give you their opinion on who won.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I guarantee you this.

Outlaw gambling on football games and the officiating will be fair.

See the issue? It is so obvious.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
No one watches the game for referring

I think we have 10 times as many flags as the game needs

pete026

Reaction score
These ref mistakes have always been there. The reason they have come to the forefront is the number of video cameras and slo-mo replays being shown on TV and at the stadiums.

Remove this change in today's game so fans/announcers watch the game with the same technology available to the refs and most of these "bad calls" will magically go away.