Why is this so complicated for the NFL? Improve the terrible officiating!

droopdog7

Reaction score
The refs upstairs can fix the BLATANT penalties/non penalties that EVERYONE at home can see.
There is no excuse for everyone at home to see a BLATANT penalty or non call and for the NFL not to fix it.

How much extra time would it have taken for a ref upstairs in our game to call down to the field and say, “pickup the tripping penalty, there was no tripping”. I say probably non!

That one bad call, that could have been fixed EXTREMELY easily, very well could have changed the outcome of that game.
If that penalty is not called we probably run out the clock, or kick the FG with about 30 seconds left on the clock with Detroit getting the kickoff with no timeouts and down by 7.
Well first, the nfl did institute a process to correct obvious calls quickly, without a review. But the issue is with the definition of obvious, which will be different for every person. What one person thinks is obvious others will not.

But at the end of the day, you’re calling for more stoppages and more controversy because things won’t go how should and others think it should go.

Face it; the game is a compromise between calling a perfect game and viewer experience. Les you want to run every play and follow it with a review to make sure no rules were broken. That would be one heck of a time.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Anyone watch the Wolverines-Bama game, and/or Washington-Texas playoff Bowl games yesterday?

I did (great games).

Those officials made it look pretty easy. You hardly noticed them. Yeah...they let a questionable late hit slide here and there...but that's the point: if it wasn't blatantly obviously a penalty...they just lettem play.

Solution: pay the college refs twice what they are making and bring them to the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
Every flag should be reviewable by refs upstairs!

If it is a BLATANT mistake, like a ref calling the wrong team for a tripping penalty, the refs in the both calls down immediately, and tells the head ref to pickup the flag. I also believe BLATANT non calls, that EVERYONE at home can see, should be called by the ref upstairs. This extra official reviews the play, between plays, and makes a decision quickly to not hinder the flow of the game and to not increase the length of the game by too much. GET THE CALLS RIGHT!!!!

Also, coaches should be able to review everything, including judgement calls ( holding, pass interference, roughing the passer, etc.) Refs screw up on these calls all the time. The refs are moving fast and things are happening quickly. Sometimes they do not see what they think they see. If the refs upstairs are doing their job coaches will probably not have as many challenges.

Also, refs on the field, should never go under the hood to review a play. Let the refs upstairs, who are only focusing on penalties make the call. Refs on the field are focusing on a lot of different things. Let the refs in the both focus on the reviews AND the blatant mistakes( wrong player called for tripping etc.)

Blatantly bad calls that EVERYONE sees at home MUST be fixed!!!!! There is no excuse in the year 2024, with the technology the NFL has( camera angles everywhere etc.) to allow BLATANTLY BAD calls to go unfixed!!!!
Money.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
These ref mistakes have always been there. The reason they have come to the forefront is the number of video cameras and slo-mo replays being shown on TV and at the stadiums.

Remove this change in today's game so fans/announcers watch the game with the same technology available to the refs and most of these "bad calls" will magically go away.
Why not use the technology to actually get rid of the bad calls. Not get rid of the technology so we don’t see the bad calls.

Are you serious?

The NFL has the technology to fix the worst calls.

If we as fans can see the bad call on our TV the ref in the both can see the bad call in slow motion on his monitor.

There is NO excuse for allowing atrocious penalties, like the phantom tripping penalty to stand!

Some of you fans sound like you work for the NFL. “Oh it can’t be improved, the game is to fast”, on and on and on.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Anyone watch the Wolverines-Bama game, and/or Washington-Texas playoff Bowl games yesterday?

I did (great games).

Those officials made it look pretty easy. You hardly noticed them. Yeah...they let a questionable late hit slide here and there...but that's the point: if it wasn't blatantly obviously a penalty...they just lettem play.

Solution: pay the college refs twice what they are making and bring them to the NFL.
In the Texas Washington game on the last drive the ref went under the hood and let the Texas’s receivers catch stand. I did not think it was a catch. I thought the players hand moved off the ball and there was movement when he was out of bounds. Not a blatant bad call, but I thought it was the wrong call.

I don’t like the ref going under the hood and making the decision. I would rather 2 refs upstairs make the decision. If both refs say change the call, they change it. Otherwise the play stands as called on the field.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I guarantee you this.

Outlaw gambling on football games and the officiating will be fair.

See the issue? It is so obvious.
Why do you watch if you think the NFL is fixed?
I would not be watching if I thought it was fixed.

I think the officiating is terrible, but it can be improved greatly, if the NFL takes advantage of the technology it already has!!!!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Every sporting event fans complain.

The one I don't get is boxing. Can you imagine playing a football game with no score? Then the ref's give you their opinion on who won.
Yeah! Boxing has it’s share of bad decisions.

calico

Reaction score
It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

Last edited:

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
^This! Officiating is a perfect instrument to control the flow of games. A little offensive hold here, defensive holding there, and viola! Drives either end or get extended. Then the NFL hides behind the veil of ref incompetence. The NFL and owners benefit immensely from these so called incompetent refs.
Conspiracy Theories with no prove!

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Well, it's actually kinda complicated, OP. ;)

Throughout the course of any NFL game, it's really hard for the refs to be perfect on every play. There's not enough of them to see every player matchup every second to get every call correct.

I know we all like to think it's easy to get every call right because we're staring at a TV screen with a broader angle, and then we see the replays. But if any of us were refs, we damn sure wouldn't be perfect either standing on the field and trying to keep up with players who are moving all over the field.

So, the NFL needs more refs who are watching from different angles and watching different matchups, and these can be "remote" refs sitting in a studio (or even at home). And they should be able to make their own calls (or can reverse other calls & pick up flags). So for every NFL game, you may need like 4 to 8 more remote refs who can seamlessly buzz into the Crew Chief at a moment's notice. And for the playoffs, have even more refs, more eyes in the sky, to try to get each play right.

And I agree make every flag/play reviewable, letting the coach challenge whatever they want. And if the replay shows that a penalty was missed, then call it. Now, this SOUNDS good...but lord knows many fans from ALL teams will be up in arms if there's a big play, or a TD called...and then the opposing coach throws the flag, and then a holding call is seen in replay, and the TD or big play is overturned. Yikes!

Or what if a defensive PI is not called, and then in replay, it's a PI, and it then gets called, after the fact?

Certainly all of the above will slow down the games, but I think as players and fans, we'd rather they get it right in realtime (even if it requires more stoppages), as opposed to having the game end 15 to 30 minutes sooner.

With all the technology we have available, it's time for a change...especially in the playoffs.

But no, I don't think the officiating issue is easily solved...and a true fix is going to change the nature of the NFL. Some fans won't like all these changes once they see their plays getting overturned by penalties seen during replays (or maybe even flags picked up after a replay). And even still, refs in booths could get it wrong, based on "how long" someone was held, or how physical the CB was being downfield...it will still come down to semantics and interpretations.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Bringing in video refs for every decision won't solve anything. We will have the very same discussions, only that every game now takes much longer.

Why do I know this? Because in soccer that's what they did and it hasn't helped one bit.

Most fans want to get back to the old system without any VRs. Just accept that refs are people and make mistakes too. Even if that impacts game changing moments the wrong way. Don't take part if you can't accept that.
Using video won’t solve anything? Are you serious? Our game vs Detroit would have changed drastically if a ref upstairs would have called down and said pickup the flag, it was not a penalty! The 2 point conversion fiasco would have probably never happened.

Most fans want to get back to the old system? Is that true. Go back to your black and white tv and no forward pass. Okay Red Grange.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Why do you watch if you think the NFL is fixed?
I would not be watching if I thought it was fixed.

I think the officiating is terrible, but it can be improved greatly, if the NFL takes advantage of the technology it already has!!!!!
I only watch the Cowboys and only watch after the game is over. I would say I analyze the game or view the game like a detective and not as a typical fan.

The NFL is good at fixing some of the games and some of the time. Which games and why is very interesting to me. I like to watch criminals get caught.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Well, it's actually kinda complicated, OP. ;)

Throughout the course of any NFL game, it's really hard for the refs to be perfect on every play. There's not enough of them to see every player matchup every second to get every call correct.

I know we all like to think it's easy to get every call right because we're staring at a TV screen with a broader angle, and then we see the replays. But if any of us were refs, we damn sure wouldn't be perfect either standing on the field and trying to keep up with players who are moving all over the field.

So, the NFL needs more refs who are watching from different angles and watching different matchups, and these can be "remote" refs sitting in a studio (or even at home). And they should be able to make their own calls (or can reverse other calls & pick up flags). So for every NFL game, you may need like 4 to 8 more remote refs who can seamlessly buzz into the Crew Chief at a moment's notice. And for the playoffs, have even more refs, more eyes in the sky, to try to get each play right.

And I agree make every flag/play reviewable, letting the coach challenge whatever they want. And if the replay shows that a penalty was missed, then call it. Now, this SOUNDS good...but lord knows many fans from ALL teams will be up in arms if there's a big play, or a TD called...and then the opposing coach throws the flag, and then a holding call is seen in replay, and the TD or big play is overturned. Yikes!

Or what if a defensive PI is not called, and then in replay, it's a PI, and it then gets called, after the fact?

Certainly all of the above will slow down the games, but I think as players and fans, we'd rather they get it right in realtime (even if it requires more stoppages), as opposed to having the game end 15 to 30 minutes sooner.

With all the technology we have available, it's time for a change...especially in the playoffs.

But no, I don't think the officiating issue is easily solved...and a true fix is going to change the nature of the NFL. Some fans won't like all these changes once they see their plays getting overturned by penalties seen during replays (or maybe even flags picked up after a replay). And even still, refs in booths could get it wrong, based on "how long" someone was held, or how physical the CB was being downfield...it will still come down to semantics and interpretations.
I do understand it is complicated and could get really messy if we start calling penalties and taking away penalties from the booth. But if it is done in a timely manner, and the right calls are made( which I think they will, with the technology we have, including slow motion replays), I think the officiating and the game would be improved immensely.

At the very least the NFL needs to use refs upstairs to fix the most BLATANT bad decisions.

There is NO EXCUSE for allowing a phantom tripping call to stand. The NFL MUST have a mechanism to fix a BLATANT bad call like that!

Also, Thank you for actually reading what I wrote.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Ah, so 6 hour games! It’s 7 middle aged men trying to keep up with 22 ultra superior athletes. There’s going to be numerous missed calls throughout a game. The only way to be completely fair under your scenario would be to review every player on after every play. It’s easy to criticize a call being missed on a replay (usually involving 2 players) but they were having to watch 20 others. You start thouroghly reviewing all these plays as mentioned and you’re probably going to find a penalty somewhere on every play!
Nothing is completely fair. Nothing is going to make the officiating perfect. BUT, the officiating could be a lot better!

Missing a blatantly bad call once in a while is one thing, but the NFL does it consistently.

At the least refs need to be upstairs to fix the most blatantly bad calls. This includes judgement calls.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

If it is a BLATANT mistake, like a ref calling the wrong team for a tripping penalty, the refs in the both calls down immediately, and tells the head ref to pickup the flag. I also believe BLATANT non calls, that EVERYONE at home can see, should be called by the ref upstairs. This extra official reviews the play, between plays, and makes a decision quickly to not hinder the flow of the game and to not increase the length of the game by too much. GET THE CALLS RIGHT!!!!

Also, coaches should be able to review everything, including judgement calls ( holding, pass interference, roughing the passer, etc.) Refs screw up on these calls all the time. The refs are moving fast and things are happening quickly. Sometimes they do not see what they think they see. If the refs upstairs are doing their job coaches will probably not have as many challenges.

Also, refs on the field, should never go under the hood to review a play. Let the refs upstairs, who are only focusing on penalties make the call. Refs on the field are focusing on a lot of different things. Let the refs in the both focus on the reviews AND the blatant mistakes( wrong player called for tripping etc.)

Blatantly bad calls that EVERYONE sees at home MUST be fixed!!!!! There is no excuse in the year 2024, with the technology the NFL has( camera angles everywhere etc.) to allow BLATANTLY BAD calls to go unfixed!!!!
Hire full time zebras!!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If would probably be easier to stop showing the replays. Or at least replays in slo mo from every camera angle.

Officials have to make split second decisions in real time. So can fans.

They’re never going to review every penalty. That’s basically stopping every play. Games would be like 5 hours. Networks wouldn’t go for it.

Poor officiating is like a turnover or bad play. Something good teams overcome. Always been part of the game which isn’t meant to be perfection.

That said having an official in the booth for a quick review instead of the extended stoppages on field would be welcoming.

Starstruck22

Reaction score

Look the money is there. A billion dollar industry from tv rights, Goodell makes 500 million a year and has a private Lear jet, millions and millions in fine money, $300K from Panthers coach fines, the list goes on. Billions and billions of dollars and nothing invested in the only thing that matters when the outcomes of games are determined. It is pathetic and unacceptable. Most of these officials are crap, miss tons of calls, call penalties when there aren’t any committed, and just are not equipped and trained and this is their second job. Just ridiculous!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Why not use the technology to actually get rid of the bad calls. Not get rid of the technology so we don’t see the bad calls.

Are you serious?

The NFL has the technology to fix the worst calls.

If we as fans can see the bad call on our TV the ref in the both can see the bad call in slow motion on his monitor.

There is NO excuse for allowing atrocious penalties, like the phantom tripping penalty to stand!

Some of you fans sound like you work for the NFL. “Oh it can’t be improved, the game is to fast”, on and on and on.
If they do that, they can no longer manipulate the games. Would cost them money.

What needs to happen is that the manipulated calls start costing them more than fixing it would, only then will it be fixed.