Why is this so complicated for the NFL? Improve the terrible officiating!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Exactly! What is this, Pop Warner.

If replay gets expanded then at least implement a shot clock that will keep the call on the field so the game keeps moving.
Not if. When it is expanded!

Blatantly bad calls need to be fixed by having refs in the booth!

Again, there is no excuses for fans on TV to see a BLATANTLY bad call, or non call, and a ref in the booth not able to fix the call.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
If they do that, they can no longer manipulate the games. Would cost them money.

What needs to happen is that the manipulated calls start costing them more than fixing it would, only then will it be fixed.
Refs are terrible, but in general, I don’t think they are purposely making bad calls.

Refs upstairs needs to fix their mistakes in a timely manner, as not to effect, the flow of the game to much.

pete026

Reaction score
Why not use the technology to actually get rid of the bad calls. Not get rid of the technology so we don’t see the bad calls.

Are you serious?
I was speaking to the "these refs suck" crowd. People evaluating a refs performance on the field by analyzing the game from off the field (e.g. multiple cameras, slo motion replay). How would you feel as a ref? Stuck running around in the middle of a field with 22 world class athletes, trying to evaluate their performance?

As far as technology goes, I'm for it for the most part. Do I think it is the answer to all problems? Too many examples showing it can't fix everything and many showing it can make things worse.

You mention fixing the "worst calls". How bad does the call have to be to categorize it as "the worst"? Not as easy as it sounds.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
That would help. Get younger refs also. Have a NFL school for the refs. Why not spend the money. After all the gambling money is pouring in or is going to. Or maybe that’s why these calls are being called or not called. Some of these holding non calls on Parsons is crazy. And I am sure the same goes for bosa and other elite players. If you don’t want Parsons wrecking your game then make sure he is blocked legally..
I Would recommend getting rid of the criminal running the asylum. Goddell is a joke and worthless. 50 million a year for this crap????? And he cant fix the officiating problem with billions of dollars. What is wrong with this picture????

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Look the money is there. A billion dollar industry from tv rights, Goodell makes 500 million a year and has a private Lear jet, millions and millions in fine money, $300K from Panthers coach fines, the list goes on. Billions and billions of dollars and nothing invested in the only thing that matters when the outcomes of games are determined. It is pathetic and unacceptable. Most of these officials are crap, miss tons of calls, call penalties when there aren’t any committed, and just are not equipped and trained and this is their second job. Just ridiculous!!!!!!!
I agree 100%!

The refs are terrible, but it is also a very hard job. A lot of things happening very fast.
To help the refs on the field, the NFL needs to use refs upstairs. The refs upstairs need the authority to fix bad calls and bad no calls. The NFL has the technology and slow motion to fix blatantly bad calls.

A ref running full speed is going to have a much harder time making a good call than a ref sitting upstairs with a monitor he/she can slow down to see every aspect of the play.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I Would recommend getting rid of the criminal running the asylum. Goddell is a joke and worthless. 50 million a year for this crap????? And he cant fix the officiating problem with billions of dollars. What is wrong with this picture????
I agree!

Fire Goodell the incompetent Social Justice Warrior.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
Refs are terrible, but in general, I don’t think they are purposely making bad calls.

Refs upstairs needs to fix their mistakes in a timely manner, as not to effect, the flow of the game to much.
There already is a ref “upstairs“ as in the New York office. Aikman argues that this is part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Every flag should be reviewable by refs upstairs!

If it is a BLATANT mistake, like a ref calling the wrong team for a tripping penalty, the refs in the both calls down immediately, and tells the head ref to pickup the flag. I also believe BLATANT non calls, that EVERYONE at home can see, should be called by the ref upstairs. This extra official reviews the play, between plays, and makes a decision quickly to not hinder the flow of the game and to not increase the length of the game by too much. GET THE CALLS RIGHT!!!!

Also, coaches should be able to review everything, including judgement calls ( holding, pass interference, roughing the passer, etc.) Refs screw up on these calls all the time. The refs are moving fast and things are happening quickly. Sometimes they do not see what they think they see. If the refs upstairs are doing their job coaches will probably not have as many challenges.

Also, refs on the field, should never go under the hood to review a play. Let the refs upstairs, who are only focusing on penalties make the call. Refs on the field are focusing on a lot of different things. Let the refs in the both focus on the reviews AND the blatant mistakes( wrong player called for tripping etc.)

Blatantly bad calls that EVERYONE sees at home MUST be fixed!!!!! There is no excuse in the year 2024, with the technology the NFL has( camera angles everywhere etc.) to allow BLATANTLY BAD calls to go unfixed!!!!
We discussed this years ago on the old forum. They don’t wanna pay full-time referees the salary all the benefits. So they’re not held accountable.

kskboys

Reaction score

Ask yourself this: Why do refs make some holding calls and then not make others that are exactly the same, or worse?

kskboys

Reaction score
Business model. Goodell's job is not to fix officiating. It's to appease the fans. Money is rolling in, Goodell's is doing a great job.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Every flag should be reviewable by refs upstairs!

If it is a BLATANT mistake, like a ref calling the wrong team for a tripping penalty, the refs in the both calls down immediately, and tells the head ref to pickup the flag. I also believe BLATANT non calls, that EVERYONE at home can see, should be called by the ref upstairs. This extra official reviews the play, between plays, and makes a decision quickly to not hinder the flow of the game and to not increase the length of the game by too much. GET THE CALLS RIGHT!!!!

Also, coaches should be able to review everything, including judgement calls ( holding, pass interference, roughing the passer, etc.) Refs screw up on these calls all the time. The refs are moving fast and things are happening quickly. Sometimes they do not see what they think they see. If the refs upstairs are doing their job coaches will probably not have as many challenges.

Also, refs on the field, should never go under the hood to review a play. Let the refs upstairs, who are only focusing on penalties make the call. Refs on the field are focusing on a lot of different things. Let the refs in the both focus on the reviews AND the blatant mistakes( wrong player called for tripping etc.)

Blatantly bad calls that EVERYONE sees at home MUST be fixed!!!!! There is no excuse in the year 2024, with the technology the NFL has( camera angles everywhere etc.) to allow BLATANTLY BAD calls to go unfixed!!!!
Because it would negatively impact the vegas money.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
In the Texas Washington game on the last drive the ref went under the hood and let the Texas’s receivers catch stand. I did not think it was a catch. I thought the players hand moved off the ball and there was movement when he was out of bounds. Not a blatant bad call, but I thought it was the wrong call.

I don’t like the ref going under the hood and making the decision. I would rather 2 refs upstairs make the decision. If both refs say change the call, they change it. Otherwise the play stands as called on the field.
That's not a bad idea

If call on field needs review, TWO refs review it INDEPENDENTLY (off site or booth, doesn't matter). The 2 don't collaborate....they each either confirm or reverse on their own with no outside influence.

If they split, call stands.

Hell, do 3 independent reviews for that matter. Won't take any longer, and assures it must be a universally agreed upon wrong call on field.

Then....if all 3 make a bad call, a 4th judge (I suggest Cynthia Freelund....or may or may not be wearing a cheerleader uniform) pushes a button and all 3 of the booth refs drop through a hole in the floor into a pit of alligators.

I think that would fix the NFL, and the world as well.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I was speaking to the "these refs suck" crowd. People evaluating a refs performance on the field by analyzing the game from off the field (e.g. multiple cameras, slo motion replay). How would you feel as a ref? Stuck running around in the middle of a field with 22 world class athletes, trying to evaluate their performance?

As far as technology goes, I'm for it for the most part. Do I think it is the answer to all problems? Too many examples showing it can't fix everything and many showing it can make things worse.

You mention fixing the "worst calls". How bad does the call have to be to categorize it as "the worst"? Not as easy as it sounds.

That's not a bad idea

If call on field needs review, TWO refs review it INDEPENDENTLY (off site or booth, doesn't matter). The 2 don't collaborate....they each either confirm or reverse on their own with no outside influence.

If they split, call stands.

Hell, do 3 independent reviews for that matter. Won't take any longer, and assures it must be a universally agreed upon wrong call on field.

Then....if all 3 make a bad call, a 4th judge (I suggest Cynthia Freelund....or may or may not be wearing a cheerleader uniform) pushes a button and all 3 of the booth refs drop through a hole in the floor into a pit of alligators.

I think that would fix the NFL, and the world as well.
LOL, but bikini for Cynthia.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Wow!
And what were the consequences for their terrible officiating over the season?
Supposedly, no playoff games for that crew, but kinda crazy they would put them back in Prime Time the following week. That officials crew have more pressure on them than either of the teams playing......lol

ReverendFelcher

Reaction score
The officiating has always been awful. Part of the fun. They get paid peanuts, get spit on, get beer thrown on them, and do their best.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Supposedly, no playoff games for that crew, but kinda crazy they would put them back in Prime Time the following week. That officials crew have more pressure on them than either of the teams playing......lol
If the NFL had a better system where refs in the booth could more easily fix the mistakes made by refs on the field, the refs on the field would not feel so much pressure!

Perfect example was the phantom tripping penalty last week. Refs in the both could have easily changed that bogus penalty into no penalty. Between plays they could have called down and said pick up the flag, simple!

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
The NFL is reactive instead of proactive. What you suggested makes perfect sense. They're going to wait until something catastrophic like this happens and they get loads of bad publicity until they change anything. The game is just too fast to not use every ounce of Technology at your disposal. But that being said, that tripping penalty was inexcusable.

Problem I have with that is it happened already. Saints vs rams playoff game. The non PI call. They didn’t call that and it influenced who went to the SB. They didn’t care then. And that was the biggest non call ever.