CFZ Why it would've have been better to fire McCarthy than make him a lame duck

fivetwos

Reaction score
After the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January, it made more sense to fire Mike McCarthy and move on than making him a lame duck head coach on the last year of his contract. We have seen this coaching scenario in Big D three times before. In 2010 with Wade Phillips, in 2014 with Jason Garrett and 2019 with Garrett again. Only once (in 2014) did this situation translate to a successful season.

Big Mac has been here four seasons and he’s done a very good job in the regular season. But winning in the regular season is not enough if your team is serious about winning a championship. Winning 1 wild card game in 4 years is not good enough to me for a head coach. In the three losses he’s had in the playoffs here, in two of them his team was just not prepared.

So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
The loss to the packers last January was just a complete collapse. How does a team recover mentally from that? And if you wanted to make 2024 the start of something new, why not start that process with a new head coach? Instead of that, we are left wondering what this front office is thinking and planning because in my decades of following this team, the 2024 off-season has been the biggest head scratcher I’ve ever seen.
I’m shocked that a person of your knowledge and intellect is overlooking the biggest factor….dead coaching money!

Jerry says it’s “a major problem in the NFL.”

I’ve never heard any other owner complaining, but I figure he knows things that I don’t. League could be on the verge on going under over it.

Who again was it that gave McCarthy FIVE years? Would he have turned down four at the sleepover? No.

I actually think Mike may get a rare third shot given his regular season record and the general knowledge of the impossible Dallas situation around the league.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Well, IMO, he's not working very hard. Two years ago when we were the most penalized team in the league and he was called out on it - he said we'll look at it in the off season. Now, having Dak throw the ball out of bounds on third down breathing life into the Lions game, humiliating fans by the loss against GB... He doesn't seem motivated to keep the players sharp every play. Jimmy would have whipped some asssses already. He would have dragged Dak to the ground by his facemask and yelled "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
No likey Mikey

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m shocked that a person of your knowledge and intellect is overlooking the biggest factor….dead coaching money!

Jerry says it’s “a major problem in the NFL.”

I’ve never heard any other owner complaining, but I figure he knows things that I don’t. League could be on the verge on going under over it.

Who again was it that gave McCarthy FIVE years? Would he have turned down four at the sleepover? No.

I actually think Mike may get a rare third shot given his regular season record and the general knowledge of the impossible Dallas situation around the league.
The richest man in the NFL - who is almost printing money - being worried about “dead money for coaches” is amazing. Maybe that’s why JJ is a great business man in that he pinches every penny. But if he’s serious about winning a championship, having a HC with “dead money” is the least of his problems.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You are forgetting about the big league wide problem: Dead money owed to ex coaches cap issue. Jerry says it is a real problem.:rolleyes:
Ha! You snuck that in there while I was writing my novel above.

I dunno anymore, between the “all in, the dead coaching money, the scribble on the pad, the we draft 24th since we are the 24th best team, etc….”

He does seem to be shutting up a bit more lately, which is nice. Looking forward to the TC Jerry show so I can feel that much more proud of the organization.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro appears to be playing a balancing act to public perception. It’s a conundrum of sorts for him.

One one hand can’t provide an extension based on the collapse in playoffs.

One the other hand Jethro didn’t want to be ridiculed for firing first HC to go to 3 consecutive playoff appearances and 12 win seasons this era for Cowboys.

And the offseason releasing several starters and lack of resigning stars thus far might suggest Jethro is setting him up for failure making it easier to release him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the team flops this season then Jethro is a hero not being tied to his HC and perhaps his QB either.

Public perception will be more in favor of a restart or rebuild with a new HC and QB.

Which will help him moving forward to sell not necessarily being a playoff caliber , which could take some time .

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jethro appears to be playing a balancing act to public perception. It’s a conundrum of sorts for him.

One one hand can’t provide an extension based on the collapse in playoffs.

One the other hand Jethro didn’t want to be ridiculed for firing first HC to go to 3 consecutive playoff appearances and 12 win seasons this era for Cowboys.

And the offseason releasing several starters and lack of resigning stars thus far might suggest Jethro is setting him up for failure making it easier to release him.
He’s never been this unpopular. Whatever Jerry is trying to do on that front, it’s not working, lol. When it comes to fan support nothing works better than winning a bunch of playoff games.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
He’s never been this unpopular. Whatever Jerry is trying to do on that front, it’s not working, lol. When it comes to fan support nothing works better than winning a bunch of playoff games.
I big time agree with you on this point!

fivetwos

Reaction score
The richest man in the NFL - who is almost printing money - being worried about “dead money for coaches” is amazing. Maybe that’s why JJ is a great business man in that he pinches every penny. But if he’s serious about winning a championship, having a HC with “dead money” is the least of his problems.
I’d be more ok with it if I had even the slightest inclination that they have their eye on a head coach that isn’t available now but could be after this season, but that’s not what’s going on here.

It really only speaks to Stephens cheapness and influence.

They can’t win either way from here. Think about it. If they eventually extend McCarthy it should have been done by now, if they don’t he should never have been allowed to coach this season.

There’s a part of Jerry that thinks that people will perform with their backs to the wall. That isn’t always the case and sometimes it hurts more than it helps, but more so than all that….they just simply don’t want to pay two coaches. I don’t think it goes much beyond that.

There’s no building, or strategy, or organizational philosophy. Everything is in its own box…..is it worth it to fire McCarthy and pay him plus his replacement? Nope, so they keep him. We desperately need a DT, but is he worth the money? Nope, so we just go without it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Correct , but this might be the next best thing if he can’t win a bunch of playoff games now providing hope for a new HC and QB.

Nothing would be worse for him this season to flop and have extended the HC and QB.

Many fans appear prepared to move on with both if they can’t win more now.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Right or wrong I think Jerry looked around at the list of available coaches and decided he would be better off keeping McCarthy one more year vs starting over with a new coach and staff. We've seen it work a time or two but I think more often than not the change for change sake firings and hirings go horribly south.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He knew he couldn’t get rid of his QB this year, might as well let them both go down together .

It’s actually sinister brilliance . Jethro could come out with more support than other scenario .

And if they happen to hit it big this year then Jethro will take that too even if he can’t resign them next year.

We always have to think outside the box with our owner. What serves him best in public perception. And provides him a better picture to hype and sell.

If fans think this is it for both our HC and QB and it all goes down the drain it actually will be easier to sell without them next year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct , but this might be the next best thing if he can’t win a bunch of playoff games now providing hope for a new HC and QB.

Nothing would be worse for him this season to flop and have extended the HC and QB.

Many fans appear prepared to move on with both if they can’t win more now.
You know Greggo, it seems to me Jerry has forgotten what made the Cowboys ”Americas Team”. It wasn’t how much they were worth, the stadiums they played in, the uniforms or even the cheerleaders. What made us “America’s Team” was very simple: Winning playoff games.

I think the guy running this thing has either lost sight of that or just don’t care enough any more.

John813

Reaction score
You know Greggo, it seems to me Jerry has forgotten what made the Cowboys ”Americas Team”. It wasn’t how much they were worth, the stadiums they played in, the uniforms or even the cheerleaders. What made us “America’s Team” was very simple: Winning playoff games.

I think the guy running this thing has either lost sight of that or just don’t care enough any more.

I have to wonder how the Cowboys will do after Jerry/wildcatter ways.

I can't see Stephen handing over the reigns for player personnel. He's been in that spot for decades now.
McClay is happy with his role/title/paycheck lol.
The NFL prints money for all teams. Not like the Cowboys will enter the red and lose money forcing change.

Do they enter a Mike Brown era, where they just become "cheap" and continue to have bloated cap hits to cry poor, while paying way less?
Dallas is, and will be the #1 team in the NFL. I can't see even the next 20 years changing that without playoff success. Jerry's lasting legacy will be the brand he made Dallas.

They are the Toronto Maple Leafs. Rabid Fans worldwide, bad or good people show up/buy merch even though the playoffs/winning the championships are decades in the mirror.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
After the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January, it made more sense to fire Mike McCarthy and move on than making him a lame duck head coach on the last year of his contract. We have seen this coaching scenario in Big D three times before. In 2010 with Wade Phillips, in 2014 with Jason Garrett and 2019 with Garrett again. Only once (in 2014) did this situation translate to a successful season.

Big Mac has been here four seasons and he’s done a very good job in the regular season. But winning in the regular season is not enough if your team is serious about winning a championship. Winning 1 wild card game in 4 years is not good enough to me for a head coach. In the three losses he’s had in the playoffs here, in two of them his team was just not prepared.

So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
The loss to the packers last January was just a complete collapse. How does a team recover mentally from that? And if you wanted to make 2024 the start of something new, why not start that process with a new head coach? Instead of that, we are left wondering what this front office is thinking and planning because in my decades of following this team, the 2024 off-season has been the biggest head scratcher I’ve ever seen.
You have nobody who wants to take the job.

Thats an issue.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score

So with a new Coach your last 3 bullet points would be any different???