CFZ Why it would've have been better to fire McCarthy than make him a lame duck

Chasing6

Reaction score
Let's be honest here. The team had a salary cap crunch this year that was seen for quite some time. This was always going to be a down year, just like it was for Philly last year.

Jerry already had Mike on the hook for guaranteed money. Why pay him to stay home for a down year? If Mike is able to overcome all the adversity and win, that's great. If he doesn't, he is an easy scapegoat. For Jerry, that's great. Either way, Jerry doesn't have to pay two coaches this year. For Jerry, that's also great.

This situation might not be awesome for Mike or the fans but for Jerry, its win-win-win.
Jerry has not had a win-win in a long time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to wonder how the Cowboys will do after Jerry/wildcatter ways.

I can't see Stephen handing over the reigns for player personnel. He's been in that spot for decades now.
McClay is happy with his role/title/paycheck lol.
The NFL prints money for all teams. Not like the Cowboys will enter the red and lose money forcing change.

Do they enter a Mike Brown era, where they just become "cheap" and continue to have bloated cap hits to cry poor, while paying way less?
Dallas is, and will be the #1 team in the NFL. I can't see even the next 20 years changing that without playoff success. Jerry's lasting legacy will be the brand he made Dallas.

They are the Toronto Maple Leafs. Rabid Fans worldwide, bad or good people show up/buy merch even though the playoffs/winning the championships are decades in the mirror.
Well said. But I do have one thing I disagree with. Jerry has certainly polished the brand but he bought “America’s Team” which already had a great brand and tremendous fan following long before Jerry ever bought the team.

Jerry deserves credit for making this franchise (and the NFL) way more valuable financially. He also deserves credit for hiring Jimmy Johnson and letting him have the authority and power to put together those 90s dynasty teams.

But Jerry did not create this brand. He bought a great brand and made it more profitable. And oversaw for a short time a championship era. But the last three decades he has forgotten what made the brand great. It wasnt profitability - it was winning playoff games that made this brand what it is.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Ha! You snuck that in there while I was writing my novel above.

I dunno anymore, between the “all in, the dead coaching money, the scribble on the pad, the we draft 24th since we are the 24th best team, etc….”

He does seem to be shutting up a bit more lately, which is nice. Looking forward to the TC Jerry show so I can feel that much more proud of the organization.
Jerry's best years are definitely behind him. He needs to pass the torch to a real GM.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So with a new Coach your last 3 bullet points would be any different???
Fair question.

I think it would depend on who they hired obviously. IMO McCarthy was a good hire for a short window. Maybe 3-4 years tops. Big Mac has never been known as a change agent coach. He is a guy who can keep the train rolling but is not a culture change guy.

Having a HC that is a combination of a modern Xs and Os guy, who can change the entitled culture, and inspire the players to a total commitment is needed. I see that as coming from a younger, up and coming coach who is from a successful culture. Unfortunately this is not the kind of HC Jerry wants.

John813

Reaction score
Well said. But I do have one thing I disagree with. Jerry has certainly polished the brand but he bought “America’s Team” which already had a great brand and tremendous fan following long before Jerry ever bought the team.

Jerry deserves credit for making this franchise (and the NFL) way more valuable financially. He also deserves credit for hiring Jimmy Johnson and letting him have the authority and power to put together those 90s dynasty teams.

But Jerry did not create this brand. He bought a great brand and made it more profitable. And oversaw for a short time a championship era. But the last three decades he has forgotten what made the brand great. It wasnt profitability - it was winning playoff games that made this brand what it is.

I'll take your word for it. Didn't/couldn't follow the team in the 70's/80's, so hard to say how popular the team was $ wise to the rest of the league.

Just seems like Jerry really knew how to take the Cowboys brand even further into the powerhouse it is today.
Trademarks, logo rights, sponsorships etc.

Stephen doesn't seem like much of an innovator like his dad was.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Fair question.

I think it would depend on who they hired obviously. IMO McCarthy was a good hire for a short window. Maybe 3-4 years tops. Big Mac has never been known as a change agent coach. He is a guy who can keep the train rolling but is not a culture change guy.

Having a HC that is a combination of a modern Xs and Os guy, who can change the entitled culture, and inspire the players to a total commitment is needed. I see that as coming from a younger, up and coming coach who is from a successful culture. Unfortunately this is not the kind of HC Jerry wants.
In fairness no one can change the Culture in Dallas. It is set by Jerry.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You know Greggo, it seems to me Jerry has forgotten what made the Cowboys ”Americas Team”. It wasn’t how much they were worth, the stadiums they played in, the uniforms or even the cheerleaders. What made us “America’s Team” was very simple: Winning playoff games.

I think the guy running this thing has either lost sight of that or just don’t care enough any more.
Unfortunately what made us “ Americas Team” isn’t required any longer.

All our owner needs is to provide a perception he cares or is trying to win.

75boyz

Reaction score
Ha! You snuck that in there while I was writing my novel above.

I dunno anymore, between the “all in, the dead coaching money, the scribble on the pad, the we draft 24th since we are the 24th best team, etc….”

He does seem to be shutting up a bit more lately, which is nice. Looking forward to the TC Jerry show so I can feel that much more proud of the organization.
I literally laughed out loud at your closing remark here. Very well done.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
After the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January, it made more sense to fire Mike McCarthy and move on than making him a lame duck head coach on the last year of his contract. We have seen this coaching scenario in Big D three times before. In 2010 with Wade Phillips, in 2014 with Jason Garrett and 2019 with Garrett again. Only once (in 2014) did this situation translate to a successful season.

Big Mac has been here four seasons and he’s done a very good job in the regular season. But winning in the regular season is not enough if your team is serious about winning a championship. Winning 1 wild card game in 4 years is not good enough to me for a head coach. In the three losses he’s had in the playoffs here, in two of them his team was just not prepared.

So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
The loss to the packers last January was just a complete collapse. How does a team recover mentally from that? And if you wanted to make 2024 the start of something new, why not start that process with a new head coach? Instead of that, we are left wondering what this front office is thinking and planning because in my decades of following this team, the 2024 off-season has been the biggest head scratcher I’ve ever seen.
The reason McCarthy wasn't fired is directly tied to Dak, and its he same reason Zimmer was signed to a one year deal. They want a clean slate for 25.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would say both Moke and Dak have done very well against horrible teams, everybody else? Not so much.
I think as the season was drawing to a close Jerry knew Quinn was leaving and at that point he had no one to promote. Now he has Zim, so .MIke is on a 2 inch lease.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
After the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January, it made more sense to fire Mike McCarthy and move on than making him a lame duck head coach on the last year of his contract. We have seen this coaching scenario in Big D three times before. In 2010 with Wade Phillips, in 2014 with Jason Garrett and 2019 with Garrett again. Only once (in 2014) did this situation translate to a successful season.

Big Mac has been here four seasons and he’s done a very good job in the regular season. But winning in the regular season is not enough if your team is serious about winning a championship. Winning 1 wild card game in 4 years is not good enough to me for a head coach. In the three losses he’s had in the playoffs here, in two of them his team was just not prepared.

So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
The loss to the packers last January was just a complete collapse. How does a team recover mentally from that? And if you wanted to make 2024 the start of something new, why not start that process with a new head coach? Instead of that, we are left wondering what this front office is thinking and planning because in my decades of following this team, the 2024 off-season has been the biggest head scratcher I’ve ever seen.
All of the decisions do not add up - let Tyron go, but resign Zeke. Keep McCarthy, acquire no free agents.

Parcells father once told him that when he's trying to figure something out "don't underestimate stupidity, because that's somewhere in there too." You know...I've never forgotten that advice and it turns out to be true! So yeah...with Jones...we have to accept the strategy is reflective of a scattershot mind...Jerry's mind. The places that do really well with the exception of marketing - scouting/draft, cap management, - are kind of shielded from him because they are handled by Will and Stephen respectively. The places where Jones can and does lead or insert himself - hiring/firing, star player issues, play-calling, free agency - those places are not in sync with the others. It really is undersold in the NFL and other areas how much it takes a top notch organization top-to-bottom to win in the NFL. Management, Ownership, Players...all aligned and committed. It's a paramilitary operation. If the troops are awesome, well-trained, but the strategy is crap, the mission will fail.

So for me...when I try to make sense of all this...I go back to the Parcellism: "There's stupid somewhere in there..." and we all know his name...

Chasing6

Reaction score
All of the decisions do not add up - let Tyron go, but resign Zeke. Keep McCarthy, acquire no free agents.

Parcells father once told him that when he's trying to figure something out "don't underestimate stupidity, because that's somewhere in there too." You know...I've never forgotten that advice and it turns out to be true! So yeah...with Jones...we have to accept the strategy is reflective of a scattershot mind...Jerry's mind. The places that do really well with the exception of marketing - scouting/draft, cap management, - are kind of shielded from him because they are handled by Will and Stephen respectively. The places where Jones can and does lead or insert himself - hiring/firing, star player issues, play-calling, free agency - those places are not in sync with the others. It really is undersold in the NFL and other areas how much it takes a top notch organization top-to-bottom to win in the NFL. Management, Ownership, Players...all aligned and committed. It's a paramilitary operation. If the troops are awesome, well-trained, but the strategy is crap, the mission will fail.

So for me...when I try to make sense of all this...I go back to the Parcellism: "There's stupid somewhere in there..." and we all know his name...
Your math is bad. Saved money be letting Tyron go, drafted replacement. Saved money buy signing Zeke. Next years draft is heavy in RB's and he will be replaced.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

It just feels like Jerry and the team are just treading water until next off-season, I don't think he has much faith in MM and has gotten himself stuck cap-wise and looking to re-set next season. As currently constructed, Jerry probably doesn't believe the team is likely to make a deep playoff run and a new HC won't change that. He painted the team into a corner and wasn't willing or able to address the roster/contracts and it is ultimately cheaper to keep MM if he expects the same result with a new HC. If the Team does make a deep run, Jerry can pat himself on the back and if they fail he can lay all the blame at MM, Dak and whoever else's feet. Jerry can hype a new era and celebrate his financial success, ignoring his hand in the past three decades lack of on-field success and continue business as usual.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It just feels like Jerry and the team are just treading water until next off-season, I don't think he has much faith in MM and has gotten himself stuck cap-wise and looking to re-set next season. As currently constructed, Jerry probably doesn't believe the team is likely to make a deep playoff run and a new HC won't change that. He painted the team into a corner and wasn't willing or able to address the roster/contracts and it is ultimately cheaper to keep MM if he expects the same result with a new HC. If the Team does make a deep run, Jerry can pat himself on the back and if they fail he can lay all the blame at MM, Dak and whoever else's feet. Jerry can hype a new era and celebrate his financial success, ignoring his hand in the past three decades lack of on-field success and continue business as usual.
Without Dak re-set is not the right word.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score

This is rightly your first point. I made this same prediction about Wade like free fall right after it was clear they would keep McCarthy...in fact, I'm betting on him being canned by game 9.

I've only seen ONE team in football with that kind of mental fortitude: The 89-93 Bills. It takes so much to hike up the NFL mountain...only to have those demons haunting you on your 4th attempt at a summit. What used to be a stimulant (postseason dreams) have become a mental block (posteason nightmares) when you have to push through the grind of the climb. It's bad enough it takes luck to win...but now you want me to believe the odds have changed but the head coach, QB, RB, WR, etc...are basically all the same people?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
He who dwells on the past is doomed to failure.
And those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. It's the essence of the scientific method. You don't need faith or belief...just data and facts.