CFZ Why it would've have been better to fire McCarthy than make him a lame duck

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Very true. Just don’t dwell on it over and over and over and over and over……..I get it. Negativity sells here.
It's not about what "sells", it's about what is true. It's clear this is about your feelings...not any analysis. Everyone should just go away and shut up so it can be "positive" - from your point of view. Your positivity I see as denialism.

Brax

Reaction score
After the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January, it made more sense to fire Mike McCarthy and move on than making him a lame duck head coach on the last year of his contract. We have seen this coaching scenario in Big D three times before. In 2010 with Wade Phillips, in 2014 with Jason Garrett and 2019 with Garrett again. Only once (in 2014) did this situation translate to a successful season.

Big Mac has been here four seasons and he’s done a very good job in the regular season. But winning in the regular season is not enough if your team is serious about winning a championship. Winning 1 wild card game in 4 years is not good enough to me for a head coach. In the three losses he’s had in the playoffs here, in two of them his team was just not prepared.

So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
The loss to the packers last January was just a complete collapse. How does a team recover mentally from that? And if you wanted to make 2024 the start of something new, why not start that process with a new head coach? Instead of that, we are left wondering what this front office is thinking and planning because in my decades of following this team, the 2024 off-season has been the biggest head scratcher I’ve ever seen.
The timing with Daks last year may figure heavily into Jerry’s decision. I’m sure Jerry was very disappointed to say the least. After the GB loss MM stated

“my message would be this, we've established a championship program, it's just not a world championship yet. We know how to win, we know how to train to win, we have the right people, but we have not crossed the threshold of winning playoff games. It's extremely disappointing to be sitting here talking about it, but I know how to win and we will get over that threshold," McCarthy said.

I don’t think Jerry likes paying someone to do nothing so I believe JJ is saying to both of the key people put up or shut up, and I think that’s the basis of the “all in” comment. The team core is there, so Jerry can’t lose, they do great he gets the credit they fail he cleans house and says I gave them a final chance but it didn’t work. Well if ever MM wants to prove that he can coach bows the time, me personally I think MM is a fraud as a HC. Jerry also knows that a new HC will want his stamp on the team going forward and not sure a new HC will want a QB who underperformed in playoff games, unless like MM he’s desperate for a job and will tell Jerry anything he wants and that’s not the guy you want

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not about what "sells", it's about what is true. It's clear this is about your feelings...not any analysis. Everyone should just go away and shut up so it can be "positive" - from your point of view. Your positivity I see as denialism.
No it sells. All the long threads are all negative. Positive threads get very little and what they do get is attacked by you always negative posters.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Your math is bad. Saved money be letting Tyron go, drafted replacement. Saved money buy signing Zeke. Next years draft is heavy in RB's and he will be replaced.
Math is not the issue...saving money is a BUSINESS DECISION. We are discussing WINNING football.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
No it sells. All the long threads are all negative. Positive threads get very little and what they do get is attacked by you always negative posters.
You can't positively have anecdotal proof of what you are talking about, much less numbers. Since we're pulling observations out of the air...mine is that when the team is doing well, the posts are mostly positive. That's when you say "the haters are in retreat". And when the team stinks, the board is filled with "haters". Not disappointed fans mind you...HATERS. That alone should expose your motivations.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Jerry is pretty cowardly, let's just get that out in the open. I guess Mike can leave if he wants but if I was in his shoes I'd be getting paid, and if I had to stay for an extra year then so be it. At the end of the season I would go find another job and leave without even saying goodbye.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
You know Greggo, it seems to me Jerry has forgotten what made the Cowboys ”Americas Team”. It wasn’t how much they were worth, the stadiums they played in, the uniforms or even the cheerleaders. What made us “America’s Team” was very simple: Winning playoff games.

I think the guy running this thing has either lost sight of that or just don’t care enough any more.
That's the issue, he's not a Football Guy, he's a businessman. The Cowboys are the most valuable team in the world that gets maximum coverage, maximum primetime exposure and winning has become secondary as long as the team remains relevant. While winning is good business, selling drama can be just as lucrative. Jerry may not be great at running and managing a team, but he's a champion in marketing and selling hype. Winning isn't just measured in wins and losses, it's measured in dollars and cents.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I say blow the whole thing up. Go 3-13, trade Parsons, let Dak choke somewhere, and use the draft picks for a quarterback and running back.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
They don't believe in paying for coaches. Jerry has said this many times.

McCarthy, with a Super Bowl to his credit, is one of the lower paid Head Coaches at $6M.

Also, Jerry complained about an "epidemic" of coaching salaries being paid to fired coaches. No one else seems to be crying about this alleged epidemic.

#1 franchise value in all of sports but the Jones act like they are running the local Dairy Queen franchise.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dont make Reality come hit you upside yo head with reality again. You remember last time
The reality is Jethro is our GM. So stop falling for and pretending we have a SB contending team.

Best case scenario is make the playoffs and prey for a miracle.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
After the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January, it made more sense to fire Mike McCarthy and move on than making him a lame duck head coach on the last year of his contract. We have seen this coaching scenario in Big D three times before. In 2010 with Wade Phillips, in 2014 with Jason Garrett and 2019 with Garrett again. Only once (in 2014) did this situation translate to a successful season.

Big Mac has been here four seasons and he’s done a very good job in the regular season. But winning in the regular season is not enough if your team is serious about winning a championship. Winning 1 wild card game in 4 years is not good enough to me for a head coach. In the three losses he’s had in the playoffs here, in two of them his team was just not prepared.

So…IMO Here are the reasons this decision to keep McCarthy in the last year of contract makes little sense:
  • It will be very hard for this team to recover mentally from that packer loss with the same head coach. The first time this team has a bad half or bad game, it could easily cause a mental free fall like we saw in 2010 with Wade when that team started the season poorly.
  • The early part of the 2024 schedule is not particularly favorable which puts even more pressure on the situation.
  • By also having a bizarre off-season where this front office mostly sat on their hands when it came to getting better, it cannot give this lame duck HC, his staff and his players a feeling that the organization has pushed the chips forward for 2024.
  • By choosing to not be proactive with contracts AGAIN with several of its star players, it has the appearance that this season is a reset. Which would be fine IF you had a new HC.
The loss to the packers last January was just a complete collapse. How does a team recover mentally from that? And if you wanted to make 2024 the start of something new, why not start that process with a new head coach? Instead of that, we are left wondering what this front office is thinking and planning because in my decades of following this team, the 2024 off-season has been the biggest head scratcher I’ve ever seen.
you forget about that head coaches dead money. you know, jerry has to manage that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
you forget about that head coaches dead money. you know, jerry has to manage that.
I think GM Jethro is getting up in his age and missed spoke. There is no Cap for Coaches. He needs to start walking quietly walking off into the sunset.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys must not have had any HC candidates that thought were a better option than Big Mike.

Only reason I can think of why he didn't get fired.