Why Jerry is trying to sign Dak now

JReed1000

Reaction score
Dak is under contract for 1 more year and can be franchised for 2 additional years, why would the FO invest in Dak at this point without seeing if he can elevate his game to above average when they can see if he can develop into a top 10 QB over the next 2 to 3 years. At the least let him play next year under his rookie contract then go from there if great improvement is shown.

Whats more to see...HES WINNING....and it dont matter what any of us think really. The Jones's believe in him and really thats all that matters. No QB that has shown this much promise plays out the entire Rookie contract. DAK deservers it...

Sydla

Reaction score
He's really already put 3 winning seasons together...You're playing with fire. The man wins and you can play that game because growing up he was a cowboys fan...The only year he hasn't made the playoffs his All Pro RB was suspended. He's making 800k....you pay now and it saves you in the end.

This highlights the danger of some of your thinking. Paying him for "wins" is a stupid concept.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Funny how a good game against a bunch of guys nobody has ever heard of changes the opinion of this guy. A week ago we were coming off offensive outputs of 13, 0, and 13 with a 6 quarter scoreless streak in there. You could mention Dak's contract and hear nothing but crickets.
I think this playoff game on Saturday will tell us a lot.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The problem is that if you have him roll out too often, defenses will come after him, with blockers getting in the way. I agree, he needs to roll out more, but it's not a cure, just a bandage.

It should be a part of his repertoire, wasn't everybody griping about the "vanilla" offense? Dak is no Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick, but he's a better runner than Tony or Troy was, why not use all of a player's abilities? If the throw isn't there he's already out from the mass of players in the middle, and has more ability to see running lanes, more time to throw the ball away, closer to the sideline if he needs to get a couple of yards and stop the clock, etc. etc.

Not a "bandage", just part of the offensive scheme...

ESisback

Reaction score
it seems the front office knows Dak will be a hot commodity given his rapid development.

Since the Amari cooper trade Dak has a higher passer rating in his last 8 games than Drew Brees. His stats Projected over a 16 game season would have been 28 TDs 6INTs 110 passer rating

They know if they don’t sign him this offseason, far too many teams will back up the brinks truck for a 26 year old with a career passer rating higher than Tom Brady.

I agree. I think if Dak does well in the playoffs (maybe even after a good win against Seattle), they’ll quickly offer 20-25 to lock him up.

GMO415

Reaction score
Got a feeling, we'll look back on these days and laugh how we doubted Dak. The dude is a winner.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This highlights the danger of some of your thinking. Paying him for "wins" is a stupid concept.

Two things:
1. Stats are for losers, as the saying goes.

2. As Jerry said when he took over the Cowboys " Winning is the name of the game".

Wins are why you play the game...

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
it seems the front office knows Dak will be a hot commodity given his rapid development.

Since the Amari cooper trade Dak has a higher passer rating in his last 8 games than Drew Brees. His stats Projected over a 16 game season would have been 28 TDs 6INTs 110 passer rating

They know if they don’t sign him this offseason, far too many teams will back up the brinks truck for a 26 year old with a career passer rating higher than Tom Brady.

So basically $1 mil per TD per year when better QB's are getting $1/2 mil per TD...genius

Sydla

Reaction score
Two things:
1. Stats are for losers, as the saying goes.

2. As Jerry said when he took over the Cowboys " Winning is the name of the game".

Wins are why you play the game...

So our "wins" are largely and almost extensively due to the fact that Prescott has played awesome and hoisted this team on his back and delivered wins?

If that's the QB you see, then sure pay him. I don't see that kind of QB........ yet. I need to see more.

ESisback

Reaction score
If he does this board will got nuts with the "overpaid" posts especially when Dak has a less than stellar game. Omgosh. I can't wait. lol

So many people routinely overreact, so much so that their credibility is mostly laughable.

Brax

Reaction score
Whats more to see...HES WINNING....and it dont matter what any of us think really. The Jones's believe in him and really thats all that matters. No QB that has shown this much promise plays out the entire Rookie contract. DAK deservers it...
The team is winning, they win it's Dak, lose it's the teams fault (common theme on this board), Dak at this point is a mid level inconsistent starter that has a real hard time playing 4 solid quarters in one game and a hard time against winning teams, you correct in it only matters what Jerry thinks and does, and as we all know Jerry does a lot of stupid things. Still would let his rookie deal play out.

Sydla

Reaction score
If he does this board will got nuts with the "overpaid" posts especially when Dak has a less than stellar game. Omgosh. I can't wait. lol

You mean the Tony Romo treatment?

It's kind of funny when you think about it. Some of the same people that are advocating we pay big money for Dak because he "wins" were some of the same people that were pissed we gave Romo a lot of money because he didn't win.

And yet, neither has really "won" anything of note.

Sydla

Reaction score
The team is winning, they win it's Dak, lose it's the teams fault (common theme on this board), Dak at this point is a mid level inconsistent starter that has a real hard time playing 4 solid quarters in one game and a hard time against winning teams, you correct in it only matters what Jerry thinks and does, and as we all know Jerry does a lot of stupid things. Still would let his rookie deal play out.

Pretty much.

I do admit that at times, some are very reluctant to give Dak credit when he does play well. But that's offset by the group of people who when he doesn't play well and we lose, they argue it was other people's faults and not Dak's. The fringes kinda suck.

But I am with you. I need to see more before I had over a contract that could tie up $60-70-80MM or more in guaranteed money to Dak. Playing well this Saturday night would be a nice start.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Do not break the bank for a bus driver, Do not risk losing support around the QB. Do not follow trends of overpaying for the QB. Do not follow trends of overpaying the qb and then missing the playoffs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

too bD QBs aren't paid by their QB rating...fans enjoy that stuff though....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So our "wins" are largely and almost extensively due to the fact that Prescott has played awesome and hoisted this team on his back and delivered wins?

If that's the QB you see, then sure pay him. I don't see that kind of QB........ yet. I need to see more.

Of course not, the defense has been responsible for a lot of wins.

But it's a fact of the NFL - the quarterback gets the lion's share of the money, he's ultimately held responsible for winning and losing - he gets the ball in his hands 90% of the snaps, so he has far more control over what happens than any other player. If the team wins, the quarterback gets paid...

SackMaster

Reaction score
23rd ranked passing is a hot commodity huh
You do realize the offense was 23rd in Passing Yards because it was only 21st in Passing Attempts, right?

Just like the Cowboys running game was number 10 in Rushing Yards because they were number 10 in Rushing Attempts.

Generally speaking, more passing attempts typically leads to more passing yards and more rushing attempts lead to more rushing yards. Amazing how that works, right?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Well in fairness, this team hasn't exactly been very good at executing a plan. They consistently change their "plan" based on whims and emotion and overreaction. A few years ago they let Murray walk saying they didn't need to invest a lot in the RB position to have a good running game. Then the 2015 season happened and they used a Top 5 pick on a RB. They cut Dez this past offseason claiming that their analysis showed a WR by committee approach would work just fine and then 8 weeks into the season, they ripped that plan to shreds and traded a 1st round pick for a WR.

And by the way, based on current market rates, Dak and Elliott very well could equal about 20% of our cap. Gurley carries a cap number of $17MM next year and then an average of $13-14MM over the next two years of his contract. Elliott will likely get that, if not more. Dak carrying a $25MM cap hit would put their combined hit in the $40MM range, which would be approximately 20% of the cap.

No. They haven't executed their plan on whim and emotion. That you think that shows that you get your info from talking heads spewing their opinion rather than actually spending the time sifting through the BS.

They let Murray go at exactly the right time. 2015 happened because we had no QB and Dez was hurt. They let Dez go a year too late, but if you think that the Dallas Cowboys didn't understand that they needed a top flight X receiver, you're crazy. They don't grow on trees.

It's not the cap hit in Year 1, it's the cap hit in Year 3 you should be focusing on. At $25m, Dak will be in the middle of the pack in the middle of his contract. That's what we want.

Sydla

Reaction score
Of course not, the defense has been responsible for a lot of wins.

But it's a fact of the NFL - the quarterback gets the lion's share of the money, he's ultimately held responsible for winning and losing - he gets the ball in his hands 90% of the snaps, so he has far more control over what happens than any other player. If the team wins, the quarterback gets paid...

And teams using that logic end up paying for their mistakes - Bortles, Cousins, etc.

Make sure Dak is closer to the Rodgers and Brees and other top level QBs than the middle of the pack QBs before you hand him one massive check. That's all I am saying.