Why not just start Trey Lance?

XXLMike

Reaction score
At first, I skipped this thread, but you know what I think you are correct… I think that’s exactly what’s going to happen and I think JJ is setting it up to be this way.

Start season 2–5 and make the switch.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If they start him and he fails, I will use all the dak excuses for him. The bad offensive line, no running back, bad coaches, defense can score enough points, and the NFL is against Trey. :D
He won’t fail.

The kid is a phenom.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
At first, I skipped this thread, but you know what I think you are correct… I think that’s exactly what’s going to happen and I think JJ is setting it up to be this way.

Start season 2–5 and make the switch.
Jerry has a plan for how Daks time with us ends.

When Dak made Jerry ‘man cry’ after the last playoff loss, he sealed his fate.

If anyone holds a grudge in this world, it’s Jerry Jones.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Shane612

Reaction score
Start Lance...
Good idea.
Win or lose, starting Lance, or someone else other than Dak, would break the monotony of following the Dallas frick'n Cowboys.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Dak is gone, the writing is on the wall and before you say he gives us the best chance to win this year, I agree, he is going to win more meaningless regular season games and if this team is fortunate to make the playoffs he isn't going to take us to a superbowl, that's not going to happen with this current team regardless and I think most everyone agrees with that take.

So starting Dak net's you nothing and actually hurts the 25 draft stock. Give Lance a true year of evaluation, the worst that can happen is the team goes 0-17 has the top pick or top five pick and free of Dak's cap hit. Or start Dak, win a few games, know nothing about Lance's ability and end up with a middle to late round first.
Jerry doesn't want to pay a coach one more year on a contract to not coach you think he's going to eat 55M for Dak to not play?

strollinruss

Reaction score
Dak is gone, the writing is on the wall and before you say he gives us the best chance to win this year, I agree, he is going to win more meaningless regular season games and if this team is fortunate to make the playoffs he isn't going to take us to a superbowl, that's not going to happen with this current team regardless and I think most everyone agrees with that take.

So starting Dak net's you nothing and actually hurts the 25 draft stock. Give Lance a true year of evaluation, the worst that can happen is the team goes 0-17 has the top pick or top five pick and free of Dak's cap hit. Or start Dak, win a few games, know nothing about Lance's ability and end up with a middle to late round first.
Love your logic. But what if we traded Dak (like Herchael Walker) now for a buttload of drafts and just accept there will be one down year then kick aszzz

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
So you’re saying the Cowboys should back up the Brinks Truck for QB Dak - and play his underling? We should wanna make Dak a $55MM backup?

Sorry, I want EVERYTHING outta Dak for that amount of dough - his DNA, firstborn child, eyeteeth… yadda yadda yadda.

And he BETTER come through - or Tony the Tank will be meeting him at his Maserati in the AT&T parking lot around mid-November. You DO NOT wanna have a meeting with Tony the Tank. Your passer rating tends to dip precipitously - due to the broken fingers and all.

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
So you’re saying the Cowboys should back up the Brinks Truck for QB Dak - and play his underling? We should wanna make Dak a $55MM backup.

Sorry, I want EVERYTHING outta Dak for that amount of dough - his DNA, firstborn child, eyeteeth… yadda yadda yadda
He will only be paid $29 million for this season. Not $55 million. Why do you think he’s being paid $55 million?

McMicah

Reaction score
This is a great thread because it separates two groups of people who think differently. The NFL is a business of wins, but ironically winning only matters if you win the Super Bowl. So to give yourself the best shot at it, a logical person would say you want a series of years with very poor performance to rack up high draft picks and then go all in with that core group and FA (that’s how they did it in the 90s btw). Then be really good for 3-4 years and then sell off players to start over. Like a sine wave. The Cowboys don’t do this. They want to do just enough to retain enough interest to sell seats and jerseys every year. They go for max profit, not max success on the field

People who think you can keep Dak and still build a competitive team play right into that mantra. The smart thing to do would be to sell off Dak (if he allows it), Martin, and Lawrence, play Lance, find some gems you didn’t know you had and get high picks for a few years. Can you win it all with Dak? Maybe, but odds are very low, and 8 years with a 2-5 playoff record should tell you the model the FO uses