Why not just start Trey Lance?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
A lot of people don't understand how the cap works.
What’s to understand? Dak WILL get his money - whether it’s this year or five years from now. As it currently stands, Prescott’s 2024 cap hit is somewhere between $55-60 MM…

Now explain how THAT has limited impact on team-building plans. This should be great.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Any more questions?
His salary cap hit does not indicate the pay he’s due for the 2024 season. All the guaranteed money owed Dak has already been paid. There was $34 million left on his $160 million four year deal. A roster bonus was due him March 18, which he was paid. That leaves a balance due of $29 million if he remains with the team for the 2024 season. Don’t confuse salary cap with pay. The Cowboys manipulated themselves into their current situation. They have remedies available to them, if they were inclined to use them. They could spread it over some more time. But they can’t make it disappear. If they cut him the hit comes all at once. Hence, the Cowboys quarterback for the 2024 season is Dak Prescott. Any more questions?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
His salary cap hit does not indicate the pay he’s due for the 2024 season. All the guaranteed money owed Dak has already been paid. There was $34 million left on his $160 million four year deal. A roster bonus was due him March 18, which he was paid. That leaves a balance due of $29 million if he remains with the team for the 2024 season. Don’t confuse salary cap with pay. The Cowboys manipulated themselves into their current situation. They have remedies available to them, if they were inclined to use them. They could spread it over some more time. But they can’t make it disappear. If they cut him the hit comes all at once. Hence, the Cowboys quarterback for the 2024 season is Dak Prescott. Any more questions?
I call BS. I’ve seen too many sources cite that figure as between $55-60 MM. Better revisit your numbers.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I call BS. I’ve seen too many sources cite that figure as between $55-60 MM. Better revisit your numbers.
Spotrac reports he has a base salary of $29 million in 2024 with a restructure bonus of $5 million. He was paid the $5 million on March 18. His cap hit is $55+ million this season, as of now. Cap hit and pay are not the same thing. Not the same thing. Try to reconcile that in your head. Revisit your numbers and information because you are wrong. You don’t understand the difference. Make a better effort.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What’s to understand? Dak WILL get his money - whether it’s this year or five years from now. As it currently stands, Prescott’s 2024 cap hit is somewhere between $55-60 MM…

Now explain how THAT has limited impact on team-building plans. This should be great.
Dak is getting paid $29M this year. The GM can choose to push money back and make him be a $55M cap hit.

Fans are pissed he is a cap hit off $55M. GM's fault. Dak is getting paid $29M which no on would have a problem with.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Lance isn't going beat out Prescott as a starter -- Jerry and Stephen simply won't allow that to happen.

They'll want to keep the big $$ rolling in! Sure, Lance may or may not beat out Rush, but that's no lock.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The Niners decided on Trey Lance as their starter for the 2022 season.
- He started the first 2 games and was injured after 3 passes in the 2nd game.
- While Lance was out for the season, Brock Purdy proved himself.
In a nutshell.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That is not what I was comparing. You said Troy never lost a SB. "HE" lost an NFCC to SF with 3 picks.

"HE" lost a Divisional round game to Carolina. With 3 picks.

We should have won 5 SB's in a row.
The advent of FA during that time really made a significant difference, don't you think?

b0xZZ

Reaction score
Love your logic. But what if we traded Dak (like Herchael Walker) now for a buttload of drafts and just accept there will be one down year then kick aszzz
Even better if Dak didn't have a no trade clause. But, you'd have to think that he would be open to the idea knowing he's not wanted here anymore. It's not just Jerry that's sending that message, it's the majority of fans and even the players. When players families start speaking out you know they have been influenced in part by the players themselves it's not just their own personal opinions.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The 92 team was probably the best team ever assembled. The team got progressive worse both in talent and coaching each year that went by. The only reason they won in 95 was because of Deion.
Wasn't it Larry Brown?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Wasn't it Troy Brown?
Larry Brown picked off O’Donnell in the SB, but much of the reason the team was even there was because Deion in the regular season practically taking away half of the field.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Larry Brown picked off O’Donnell in the SB, but much of the reason the team was even there was because Deion in the regular season practically taking away half of the field.
I edited after I realized my mistake.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Lance isn't going beat out Prescott as a starter -- Jerry and Stephen simply won't allow that to happen.

They'll want to keep the big $$ rolling in! Sure, Lance may or may not beat out Rush, but that's no lock.
Lance took the QB1 job from JimmyG.

It’s always best to be underestimated in life.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Even better if Dak didn't have a no trade clause. But, you'd have to think that he would be open to the idea knowing he's not wanted here anymore. It's not just Jerry that's sending that message, it's the majority of fans and even the players. When players families start speaking out you know they have been influenced in part by the players themselves it's not just their own personal opinions.
No trade just forces a cut.

I had hope that Dallas would “Post June 1” cut Dak.

Would have freed up a lot of cap this Summer.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No trade just forces a cut.

I had hope that Dallas would “Post June 1” cut Dak.

Would have freed up a lot of cap this Summer.
Jerry was never going to do that, there was no need to ever free up cap space for 2024.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I bet they said the same thing when we drafted Dak.

You can;t predict these stories. In fact...I'd lay the odds on Lance making Jerry MORE money with a feel good story like Dak's. I bet Jerry would rather win, but he doesn't have to. Lance can fill that spot and maybe more. One way or another.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

You can;t predict these stories. In fact...I'd lay the odds on Lance making Jerry MORE money with a feel good story like Dak's. I bet Jerry would rather win, but he doesn't have to. Lance can fill that spot and maybe more. One way or another.
Jerry banks on grabbing cheap QBs, problem is overpaying for under performing lame ducks, and getting bent sideways by France.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score

Yeah, I don't get this argument. It's already happened at least once. Jerry and Garrett stupidly replaced Romo even though he was making a lot more money than Dak. Jerry doing stupid stuff (or even smart stuff) isn't predictable.

I mean, Jerry won't replace Dak with Lance if the latter doesn't comparably perform to him. However, if he plays just as good or better in the regular season then bye bye Dak because he's cheaper and his playoffs capability is unknown whereas Dak's isn't.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
The Niners decided on Trey Lance as their starter for the 2022 season.
- He started the first 2 games and was injured after 3 passes in the 2nd game.
- While Lance was out for the season, Brock Purdy proved himself.
When Lance was demoted to 3rd string, Purdy had started a total of 5 regular season games. Who in their right mind would think that Purdy could prove himself after 5 regular season games? Lance lost the starting job because he is awful...

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Dak is coming off one of the best regular seasons a QB has ever had in Cowboys history. Was Troy ever an MVP candidate? No he was not.

Dak had a bad game, our defense had a record breaking bad game.

Dak will get paid no matter what from an NFL team.

Jethro has no future QB, because he is a horrible GM with no back up plan.
Cooper Rush could have won SBs with the teams Troy had..