Why not sign Lawrence to a long term deal?

dckid

Reaction score
Just doing a thought experiment here...

Why don't we sign Lawrence to a JPP type contract this year?
Why tie up our cap this year for 17 million plus a big contract next year along with a huge sum of more guaranteed money?
JPP signed a 4 year 62 w 40 million guaranteed.
Lawrence is only 24 and his best years are ahead of him, we had him at a very reasonable cost for the past four seasons.
Maybe I'm being naive and it will cost a boat load more than the JPP deal, but I don't like throwing 17 million away on a one year deal which doesn't give the team any benefit of resigning the player.

Ky31

Reaction score
4 yrs 62 million isn’t in the same ballpark...5 yrs 90 million with close to 60 guaranteed is about what you’re looking at...his deal has to be bigger than Vernon’s!

Killerinstinct

Reaction score

Why tie up our cap this year for 17 million plus a big contract next year along with a huge sum of more guaranteed money?
Lawrence is only 24 and his best years are ahead of him, we had him at a very reasonable cost for the past four seasons.
Maybe I'm being naive and it will cost a boat load more than the JPP deal, but I don't like throwing 17 million away on a one year deal which doesn't give the team any benefit of resigning the player.

He had one great year in a contract year.
He has a bad back
He was suspended.

There is risk. They are looking for confirmation that last year was no fluke before writing the big checks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I've changed my position on it. I was on the "just tag him" side of the ledger, but I've rethought things.

The deal you need to look at is the 5-year, $85 million deal that Olivier Vernon got from the Giants. That's the benchmark for this one.

He got $50 million guaranteed I believe. But that put him under contract for five years. Going by the tag, the Cowboys have to pay $17 million this year and at least $20 million to do it again. That's two years for almost $40 million, with no guarantee of keeping him after that.

I understand that the back is a risk, but all players come with risk of injury and he's obviously recovered enough to have by far the best season of his career. I think he's an ascending player and I don't see where he could be a flash in the pan. The only thing that could derail him is injury, like any other player.

I'd pay him.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Because he's not the first guy to magically have his best season in a contract year. Too many of them got paid, and never came close to that level of play again.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No. Not unless he gives a significant hometown discount or agrees to a structure very favorable to the team. Contract year breakout players should be treated with extreme caution. Then you add on suspensions and an iffy back. No thank you. Cap space will be plenty next year if he proves himself again.

Swanny

Reaction score

Why would Lawrence sign a JPP type contract?? If we can get him at that price do it. But he will get more than that and should get more than that.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Give it time. Deadline is like mid July. It's hilarious that some say we can't trust him, injuries ya da ya da and in the same breath wanted a 1'st round tender on Irving who has been injured, suspended and on top of that has shown some sketchy decision making at times including missing meetings and practice if we are to believe the rumor mill. There is no rush for a contract. Yes, it would be nice to spread $17 mill out a bit. Tanks agent needs to dance too though so let it play out. I know, in todays world we want everything yesterday.

jrumann59

Reaction score
4 yrs 62 million isn’t in the same ballpark...5 yrs 90 million with close to 60 guaranteed is about what you’re looking at...his deal has to be bigger than Vernon’s!
They both play DE but Vernon is considered a RDE which is more of a premium position than the LDE. The LDE is usually more involved in the run defense. RDE usually end up lining up over the other teams best pass blocker which is the LT

jrumann59

Reaction score
Give it time. Deadline is like mid July. It's hilarious that some say we can't trust him, injuries ya da ya da and in the same breath wanted a 1'st round tender on Irving who has been injured, suspended and on top of that has shown some sketchy decision making at times including missing meetings and practice if we are to believe the rumor mill. There is no rush for a contract. Yes, it would be nice to spread $17 mill out a bit. Tanks agent needs to dance too though so let it play out
Also upset Dallas did not pony up money for oft injured WR in Watkins.

dckid

Reaction score
I've changed my position on it. I was on the "just tag him" side of the ledger, but I've rethought things.

The deal you need to look at is the 5-year, $85 million deal that Olivier Vernon got from the Giants. That's the benchmark for this one.

He got $50 million guaranteed I believe. But that put him under contract for five years. Going by the tag, the Cowboys have to pay $17 million this year and at least $20 million to do it again. That's two years for almost $40 million, with no guarantee of keeping him after that.

I understand that the back is a risk, but all players come with risk of injury and he's obviously recovered enough to have by far the best season of his career. I think he's an ascending player and I don't see where he could be a flash in the pan. The only thing that could derail him is injury, like any other player.

I'd pay him.

I think your right on the Vernon type deal, and I personally think Lawrence is point blank a better player than Vernon.
To me the economics of a Franchise tag doesn't make sense if you are intent on signing him long term. The cost of a DE franchise tag is the second most expensive after QB.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Tagging him is the right move for all the reasons listed in prior posts. Also, the Cowboys are maybe a bit gun shy about giving huge $ to a guy with an injury history. They got burned by Dez's contract which he's not come anywhere close to living up to.

I am not worried about no FAs yet. 492 players changed teams b/w SB 51 and the start of the 2017 season. 9 made the prow bowl 1.9%.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think your right on the Vernon type deal, and I personally think Lawrence is point blank a better player than Vernon.

Vernon has certainly never approached the season Lawrence just had. His sack total for 2017 alone nearly equals what Vernon has done over his last two in New York. And Vernon's best year was 11.5 sacks in 2013.

To me the economics of a Franchise tag doesn't make sense if you are intent on signing him long term. The cost of a DE franchise tag is the second most expensive after QB.

He said he was looking for $17 million a year. Well, he's already got that, doesn't he? And the Cowboys have no form of guarantee beyond 2018. And to tag him again in 2019, it will cost $20 million, so that would be the new baseline for a yearly salary.

The cost for a player like this is only going to go up, unless you're planning on him suddenly being a bust and then still looking for that War Daddy?

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Lawrence does not have character issues, let's be clear about the type of suspension he had SMH.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Because he had more sacks this year than 3 years combined. They want to make sure he isn't a one hit wonder.

erod

Reaction score
Bad backs don't heal. They lurk until they explode.