Why not sign Lawrence to a long term deal?

cowboyec

Reaction score
Id like to keep Lawrence.
I dont think we can keep BOTH Lawrence and Irving.
And letting both walk away would double suck.
Keep 1...at least.
I vote DLaw.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
14.5 sacks is elite, there was only one player in the entire league last season that had more. Reggie White is arguably the greatest DE in NFL history and had elite seasons practically every year including those 14 sack seasons. Even as great as White was it wasn’t easy for him to go over 14 sacks. Charles Haley who’s in the HOF only had one season with more than 14 sacks. If 18 to 20 sacks is elite then Charles Haley never had an elite season.
You can protest as much as want.....14 sacks isn't an elite season

Pick up a dictionary if you need one

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So no player in the league last year was elite?
14.5 sacks in this age of football is elite.
No one had 1600 yds rushing or receiving either
No one had 5000 yds passing
Only one player had 18 TDs- Todd Gurley
No one had 18 sacks

So what???? No one had an elite year in any category

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You can protest as much as want.....14 sacks isn't an elite season

Pick up a dictionary if you need one

You can protest as much as you want but 14.5 sacks is an elite season for a pass rusher in the NFL. The definition for elite is a select part of a group that’s superior to the rest. DLaw tied for the second most sacks in the league which qualifies him as being part of a select group that was superior to the rest. Where does it state that a player has to have more than 14.5 sacks to have an elite season? Have fun with that one. :thumbup:

dckid

Reaction score
You can protest as much as you want but 14.5 sacks is an elite season for a pass rusher in the NFL. The definition for elite is a select part of a group that’s superior to the rest. DLaw tied for the second most sacks in the league which qualifies him as being part of a select group that was superior to the rest. Where does it state that a player has to have more than 14.5 sacks to have an elite season? Have fun with that one. :thumbup:

All i’m Saying is we should have signed him long term this year because he will be cheaper long term unless two things happen: (Which are both bad)

He gets injured.. which means we have very bad year.
He only gets 5 sacks or less. We have a crap year and we still need a “wardaddy”

We would not have to pay him Vernon money because he has only had one good year. If we believe in him enough to pay him $17 million, then at least have him tied to your org for 4 to 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You can protest as much as you want but 14.5 sacks is an elite season for a pass rusher in the NFL. The definition for elite is a select part of a group that’s superior to the rest. DLaw tied for the second most sacks in the league which qualifies him as being part of a select group that was superior to the rest. Where does it state that a player has to have more than 14.5 sacks to have an elite season? Have fun with that one.
You can lead the league with 1000 yds rushing.....doesn't make you an elite RB
Means the league had a down year rushing

The League had a down year sack wise if 14.5 was second and 17 was first

No need to cry about it....... it really isn't a big deal

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You can lead the league with 1000 yds rushing.....doesn't make you an elite RB
Means the league had a down year rushing

The League had a down year sack wise if 14.5 was second and 17 was first

No need to cry about it....... it really isn't a big deal

You’re the one crying because you don’t know what elite means in regards to the NFL. Any player who could put up 14.5 sacks on a regular basis will end up in the HOF. This isn’t a big deal so let it go.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You’re the one crying because you don’t know what elite means in regards to the NFL. Any player who could put up 14.5 sacks on a regular basis will end up in the HOF. This isn’t a big deal so let it go.
You let if go ......you are the one crying about it.......nothing you have said changed my mind

Players have made 18+ sacks 29 times
Players have made 14+ sacks 143 times
One is Elite and the other is very good but not Top Notch

But I know for a fact you are physically unable to let someone else have the last word so have at it chachi

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You let if go ......you are the one crying about it.......nothing you have said changed my mind

Players have made 18+ sacks 29 times
Players have made 14+ sacks 143 times
One is Elite and the other is very good but not Top Notch

But I know for a fact you are physically unable to let someone else have the last word so have at it chachi

You’re the one who started it let it go! You have no idea what elite is in terms of the NFL. The word is defined in the dictionary look it up. :thumbup:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You’re the one who started it let it go! You have no idea what elite is in terms of the NFL. The word is defined in the dictionary look it up.
You were putting DLaw down compared to DWare and I agreed with you

Now you won't get off DLaw's acorns..... you just like to argue

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You were putting DLaw down compared to DWare and I agreed with you

Now you won't get off DLaw's acorns..... you just like to argue

I said Ware was a stud based on a HOF career and that DLaw hasn’t done enough to be in Ware’s league. How is that bashing his acorns? If he can put up a few more 14.5 sack seasons he will be in Ware’s league. I’ve been giving DLaw props for having an elite season and you’re making it seem like 14.5 sacks is an average season. Lol You’re the one who likes to argue this all started with you. I told you to let it go you won’t move on.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
Obviously it's Elite. There's only one more person in the league that's higher, how can it not be Elite?! What's the argument about, I'm just tunning in but let the record show. D-Law season this past year was obviously Elite.. thinking otherwise is being idealistic& impractical & who in the hell would be such in these days & times;'-)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cause if he gets hurt we can throw him in the dumpster and move on with our lives like nothing happened.

Multiple red flags on Lawrence.

Back
Suspensions
Low productivity back half of last year - once teams knew he was a player

I'd probably be happiest if we got a good trade for him. Too many red flags to sign a guy to premium free agent money.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Multiple red flags on Lawrence.

Back
Suspensions
Low productivity back half of last year - once teams knew he was a player

I'd probably be happiest if we got a good trade for him. Too many red flags to sign a guy to premium free agent money.
I would like to see a injury and conduct clause if/when we offer him a contract before a trade. It is too early for me to jump into what I think the FO should do going forward. DLaw has really only flashed 1 solid season so far.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I would like to see a injury and conduct clause if/when we offer him a contract before a trade. It is too early for me to jump into what I think the FO should do going forward. DLaw has really only flashed 1 solid season so far.

Including conduct, injury, and performance clauses as a matter of course would solve a lot of the problem with bad contracts. It puts the risk where it belongs - on the player.