Why Oxnard

Doomsday101

Reaction score
LOL, you are speaking against forces bigger than you realize. It seems you speak of the culture of the team without understanding the culture of this generation. If only you had a time machine so you could go back to that bygone time you loved so much.

I'm giving my opinion if you don't like it fine. Really not looking for your approval.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I didn't say I didn't like it. Your perspective is entertaining. Your defensive posture is not warranted, my friend. :)

I'm just stating an opinion based on what our last coach who won a SB had to say on the subject. I don't think working in the heat is a detriment if so Tampa Bay who will see the mid 90's and humid conditions would not be working out in it or a number of other teams who practice in hot conditions. No one is saying they should be slave masters, no one is saying there are not certain precautions a coach needs to ensure his team is getting properly hydrated and given down time over the course of camp.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm just stating an opinion based on what our last coach who won a SB had to say on the subject. I don't think working in the heat is a detriment if so Tampa Bay who will see the mid 90's and humid conditions would not be working out in it or a number of other teams who practice in hot conditions. No one is saying they should be slave masters, no one is saying there are not certain precautions a coach needs to ensure his team is getting properly hydrated and given down time over the course of camp.
That's fine as long as you understand your opinion is just that... an opinion. It's based on what you personally know and a bit of emotion. What you are saying has nothing to do with modern sports science or what the experts say is the optimal training environment.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's fine as long as you understand your opinion is just that... an opinion. It's based on what you personally know and a bit of emotion. What you are saying has nothing to do with modern sports science or what the experts say is the optimal training environment.

I'm glad it is fine with you. I did not know I needed to consult with you. I will just take your opinion as fact. lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Again with the uncivil tone. :rolleyes: You have a nice day. :)

I'm sorry I'm not here to make you happy, if you don't like my views or the way I express it then ignore me that is an option and frankly would be welcomed

CWR

Reaction score
Same reason Tex Schramm had the Cowboys in Thousand Oaks California. Media attention and weather. Personally I loved it when Dallas held it at St. Edwards in Austin. I think practicing 2 a days in the heat builds endurance

I'm all for simulating the worst conditions in practice. That said over the course of an entire camp I think its probably more beneficial to have the team comfortable and concentrating on learning plays, techniques, execution ect.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm sorry I'm not here to make you happy, if you don't like my views or the way I express it then ignore me that is an option and frankly would be welcomed
You think your opinion can affect how I feel? Then you think too highly of your own contributions to this forum. Your uncivil tone is not welcomed. Your tone today does not enhance the reading experience of anyone here. I know you can do better. I've seen it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You think your opinion can affect how I feel? Then you think too highly of your own contributions to this forum. Your uncivil tone is not welcomed. Your tone today does not enhance the reading experience of anyone here. I know you can do better. I've seen it.

I take you are speaking for yourself? How you feel about me, my views or my so called tone is your problem. Not mine. So take your Mr Rogers crap and move on.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I take you are speaking for yourself? How you feel about me, my views or my so called tone is your problem. Not mine. So take your Mr Rogers crap and move on.
You're right. Your tone is not my problem. I would however encourage a mod to speak to you about it. It's toxic.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You're right. Your tone is not my problem. I would however encourage a mod to speak to you about it. It's toxic.

Do whatever your heart desires or you can put me on ignore. See you don't have to respond to anything I have to say, that is your choice.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Spoken by a man who has never experienced a Texas summer.

I'd rather my team focus on football in camp rather than not dying of heat stroke.
But that's how you get shape. You almost have to experience it to take your body to the next level. Besides they have a bubble for the weak ones.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Amen.. not everything about the olden days was "better." There's a reason why the best high school runners are running times that would have won the Olympics a couple/three generations ago. We are getting smarter about training and nutrition. I do think they need to incorporate more contact into modern practices because I firmly believe guys need to learn how to hit and be hit BEFORE the first real game kicks off. No one will ever convince me the prevalence of early season injuries is not because a lot of these guys have not actually hit the turf in any meaningful action since the last game of the previous season. Call it toughening up or whatever you want but it has been stated many times and I believe it to be an absolute truth, "the only way to get ready to play football is to play football. "

I agree on the contact. Sound Blocking and tackling is literally the foundation of the game. So the fact they don’t really do it that much prior to the real games is a concern. Much Moreso than practicing in extreme heat. Particularly when a LARGE majority of the real games aren’t played in extreme heat. Heck, more are played in freezing temperatures than extreme heat.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah another note. I don’t think practicing in heat is what made those 90’s cowboys teams as good as they were. What did it, was talent.

Jimmy was a great coach. But one of the things that made him great was, he knew talent. Yes he was tough and demanding. But I think you can be tough and demanding without needing to practice in Texas. I mean you can still run hard practices in 70 degree weather.

as a matter of fact an argument can be made that you can run better practices in lower temps because you don’t need to provide as many water breaks and guys can do more conditioning work than they could in 100 degrees.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The military cares very much about the heat conditions its personnel is exposed to. They even have regulations governing these things. Despite your suggestion, being "forced" to run in the heat at certain temperatures is strictly forbidden. That's how people die. The military does PT in the morning or night when it is cooler. If you find yourself being forced to run in the heat of the day, someone is risking a court-martial.
Exactly. There are 4 conditions indicated by flags. Black, white, green, yellow and red. Black flag conditions means NO strenuous exercise. But we still bends and thrusted the haters. :D

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You’ve obviously never done any kind of physical exercise in over 100 degree heat index. It will kill even the best conditioned men/women in the world. Texas has gotten hotter over the years and Jimmy didn’t hold practice in 100 degree heat index days.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Sorry I'm not from Texas, but I hear everything is BIGGER there. Is there not a location we can hold camp at, instead of having it way out in California??

I'm sure there's a field we can use nearby, what's the point?? Give me your thoughts
OK, but why a duck?
OIP.MpfPLdBwsJ5XE5JbreJUyAAAAA