Why should Garrett be kept in a championship season?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Let me ask you this, then. How troubling have the Saints' losses been in the playoffs the last two seasons? The back breaker they gave up when Diggs beat the coverage deep on the last play of the game, and the blown officiating call that cost them the Superbowl? Neither were coaching errors in my book. Both cost his team the chance to advance to at least the conference championship.

It's a one-and-done playoff. A bad call ("Dez caught it" "Unsportsmanlike conduct, Brice Butler") or an inability to make a play in coverage on 4th and 14 against Aaron Rodgers can end your season. It doesn't mean you're not coaching right. It means this league is about players, matchups, coaching, and luck. Any one of those things can beat you on any given weekend.
7uvr.gif

blueblood70

Reaction score
I my eyes you keep coaches that have their hands on things. You keep the BB and McVeys, you dont keep the Garrett's who stand on the sideline, clap and make absolutely zero impact on a season.

Why should Garrett stay if the coordinators and players were the real reason of any success? That is like taking credit for someone elses work.

Once the owner tells you to just stand there, put your hands on nothing, and become a motivational puppet, you are a complete joke now.

I will never consider Garrett a SB winning coach even if it does happen. I am not naive enough to believe he would win anywhere else if such a situation acurred.

How do most fans not consider Barry Switzer a SB winning coach but would consider Garrett one!

""In such a situation""
So he gets the blame when they arent winning but no credit when they are, theres words for that, for you saying that..

ill leave it alone but that is not how it goes and there are a ton of walk around HC just like Generals in the Army that play key roles that never see the battle field. Some how now if its Garett , hes the issue because hes not 5-6 coaches in the league that also are Play callers or co-coordinators so he has nothing to do with winning if they get further?

Its a team coaches are team they win and lose as group , that it if he wins a SB he will get a lot of credit and deservedly so..thats crazy when you know for fact that Marinelli and now Marinelli/Richard duo and the defense past and recently have been the issue more then Garett..Garett not firing Linehan early or demand changes he gets some blame but you cant have it both ways..The Coordinators are important but also can be the issue..so again its team loss just lie the QB seems to always too much credit for wins and blame for losses when its more of team thing..

more of an issue with the 23yr drought here has been the entire structure from top to bottom not being in sync at the same time ie string Offenses paired with weak defenses or vice versa or bad QBs with the rest good teams , ST not showing up in crunch time when the rest played well and yes bad coaching at times , something has always failed us at the very wrong time..one layer one group etc but its team that wins championship and most having that dream season the entire structure from top to bottom all in sync..

If JG wins Sb this year he will get credit from a lot of us and hate to tell you Jerry with then extend him and he will have earned it..Ludicrous to see it any other way.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
No we can’t. But we can discuss I how he arrives at said opinion.
I'm assuming like most people form opinions. Think about the situation and ponder differing factors that impact the situation maybe even some light reading to get insight into other opinions. Then arrive at conclusion junction. How do you think he got there?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I'm assuming like most people form opinions. Think about the situation and ponder differing factors that impact the situation maybe even some light reading to get insight into other opinions. Then arrive at conclusion junction. How do you think he got there?
Loss of patience and emotions?
Along with what you said, of course...

HungryLion

Reaction score
You’re certainly entitled to question it.

But if you’re measuring Garrett to other normal franchise situations I don’t think is fair. No one else has the puppetry situation and why he should be compared as such.

How many playoff wins did we have since the 90’s SB team with how many different coaches?

I understand your take. I don’t think Garrett sucks. I really don’t. I just don’t think he is great either. He is average to slightly above average. IMO.

I don’t like to think of it in terms of fair or not fair.

Let’s be real. Garret has made a ton of money coaching the Cowboys. A ton. Even if he were fired as coach the Jones’ love him and he could easily get a front office job and be around the team for life. Which I wouldn’t mind to be honest.

So I don’t think wanting a new coach is “unfair” to him. The NFL is a cutthroat, results oriented business. Garret has made out far better than most. Let’s be real. He has gotten for more time than most ever do. 8 years is a long tenure for a HC in today’s NFL. The only ones who have been coaching longer...... won a super bowl.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand your take. I don’t think Garrett sucks. I really don’t. I just don’t think he is great either. He is average to slightly above average. IMO.

I don’t like to think of it in terms of fair or not fair.

Let’s be real. Garret has made a ton of money coaching the Cowboys. A ton. Even if he were fired as coach the Jones’ love him and he could easily get a front office job and be around the team for life. Which I wouldn’t mind to be honest.

So I don’t think wanting a new coach is “unfair” to him. The NFL is a cutthroat, results oriented business. Garret has made out far better than most. Let’s be real. He has gotten for more time than most ever do. 8 years is a long tenure for a HC in today’s NFL. The only ones who have been coaching longer...... won a super bowl.
Yea, but none of them were a puppet under Jerry.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
So he gets the blame when they arent winning but no credit when they are, theres words for that, for you saying that..

ill leave it alone but that is not how it goes and there are a ton of walk around HC just like Generals in the Army that play key roles that never see the battle field. Some how now if its Garett , hes the issue because hes not 5-6 coaches in the league that also are Play callers or co-coordinators so he has nothing to do with winning if they get further?

Its a team coaches are team they win and lose as group , that it if he wins a SB he will get a lot of credit and deservedly so..thats crazy when you know for fact that Marinelli and now Marinelli/Richard duo and the defense past and recently have been the issue more then Garett..Garett not firing Linehan early or demand changes he gets some blame but you cant have it both ways..The Coordinators are important but also can be the issue..so again its team loss just lie the QB seems to always too much credit for wins and blame for losses when its more of team thing..

more of an issue with the 23yr drought here has been the entire structure from top to bottom not being in sync at the same time ie string Offenses paired with weak defenses or vice versa or bad QBs with the rest good teams , ST not showing up in crunch time when the rest played well and yes bad coaching at times , something has always failed us at the very wrong time..one layer one group etc but its team that wins championship and most having that dream season the entire structure from top to bottom all in sync..

If JG wins Sb this year he will get credit from a lot of us and hate to tell you Jerry with then extend him and he will have earned it..Ludicrous to see it any other way.

When the team is winning it's because of the players. That was proven when Romo went down, Murray left, Zeke got suspended and dez left.

And just recently what was the team doing before the cooper trade?

:huh:

Exactly.

So no, he gets zero credit when they win, and he gets the blame when they lose.

He has already proven why on both.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Having winning a championship as ONLY goal or measurement is silly. We don’t have that for our players.

I’m just not sure how much greater a situation we can expect with Jerry’s dysfunctional situation ?
that's the problem. garrett has been here the longest of the coaches since jerry bought the team. outside of Johnson and then switzer who was told to stand and just clap and benefit from one of the most loaded rosters ever, nobody else has had any success....jerry is a disaster. half the coaches worth anything wouldn't want to work here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When the team is winning it's because of the players. That was proven when Romo went down, Murray left, Zeke got suspended and dez left.

Exactly.

That’s a great example why it’s all about the talent. Ask Jimmy when he was 1-15 or Landry when he was 3-13.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most HC are held more accountable because they have more influence in team personnel and coaching staff. Garrett is just a figure head. And for the part he’s played in Jerry’s debacle he cast on football operations I think he’s done fine considering.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
This is rich. What else can we turn this into guys?

“I will never consider this man a murderer, even if he does murder people”.

Your turn

How about we turn it into who can Reach further than doctorchicken.

That should be even rich.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys under Jerry’s dysfunctional organization are talent dependent and have been pretty much since Jimmy left except for possibly a few years with Bill.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Exactly.

its ludicrous and insane...smh:rolleyes: you win and lose as team from the owner to the trainers..it will always be that way..if they win a SB with Garett he will get plenty of credit sans handful of haters..im not saying I wish he was replaced after 2015 but if he remains here and he wins sb hes sb winning QB/Player and Coach..not bad :)):popcorn: