Video: Why the Cowboys are terrified of signing Dak Prescott

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would watch games every day if they were on like baseball during normal seasons, but they're not. I've watch football for a lot of years and played all the way from a little kid all the way into playing some college ball but I don't delude myself into thinking that I can watch whats shown on TV and play NFL coach and do a real eye test evaluation that is meaningful. The closest thing a fan can do as far as an eye test is if a QB throws a lot of picks they can say, hey that QB throws a lot of picks. When I hear a coach does his eye test it's he watching everything close up. His footwork, his throwing motion his fake hand offs and all the rest a QB does. Having that eye test by a qualified NFL coach. Yes this site is for us to discuss and argue our opinions but that doesn't mean that a person can't be called out for saying something like their eye test that has zero closeness to an actual eye test by NFL coaches.

I don't think I've ever suggested ..that I....have an NFL coaches "eye". IN fact I make fun of people who bully others with stats...and their "eye".

If you spent all your time berating Self Proclaimed...EXPERTS...you;d not have time for anything else. If you did it against ONLY people you disagree with...you;d have a little bit of time.

The fact is we all watch NFL football with our "eyes". And we ALL let our biased brain slice and dice it and put in back together. Yet some people HERE think they got all figured out and are SO much more adept. And they HATE getting "called out...and will even play victim about it. It's typical human behavior sure. But SEEMS like more entrenched than many of my hauntings.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I dont believe so. We've been hearing this for more than 18 months and nothing has happened. If you judge people by what the do, not what they say, everything points to no contract before the team sees how this season works out. As things stand, the only verified offer on the table is 1 year under the tag.
The complication for Dak now..

with McCarthy being HC..

we have seen him absolutely clean house.

Dak has won nothing for McCarthy.

He better win under his Tag this year or he will not be back with a good new contract.

McCarthy is respecting what Stephen and Jerrah have done so far.

But I assume McCarthy wants credit if Dak improves. And if not..

he is not going to take much blame if Dak doesn't meet expectations.

Dak realizes this is now in play.

Garrett was a lame duck HC and had been given his warning.

Daks is unsaid for now.

Just read my lips..

"Dak you need to win big son".

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imo, you're overthinking what is and what isn't an eye test. Football isn't really that complicated.

Yep...it's not complicated at all. The play is made or not. It is slick, pedestrian, or awkward. It's when people abuse or cherry pick stats that it becomes confusing. That's what talking head shows are made of.

Carnes

Reaction score
Your agenda is relentless my friend.

What you can not handle is ANYBODY who believes something different from your views.

These are not my views. This is the speakers view.

But you just make no distinction.

That is the problem here.

It lies with you.

Most normal people understand in the US that we can disagree but we will defend to the death your right to say it.

Maybe we need to reconsider that, huh?

And this is what bothers you?

Football is a kids game. Things like life and death, earning a living, keeping businesses open, paying bills..

those things are important. You are wasting your breathe.

Your opinion has no weight here.
Not your views but you are sure quick to point out any negative views about Dak

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dak didn't even make the top 100 NFL player list and that's voted on by the players themselves.

And when did the players themselves rank free agents every year or ranking teams in power rankings?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever suggested ..that I....have an NFL coaches "eye". IN fact I make fun of people who bully others with stats...and their "eye".

If you spent all your time berating Self Proclaimed...EXPERTS...you;d not have time for anything else. If you did it against ONLY people you disagree with...you;d have a little bit of time.

The fact is we all watch NFL football with our "eyes". And we ALL let our biased brain slice and dice it and put in back together. Yet some people HERE think they got all figured out and are SO much more adept. And they HATE getting "called out...and will even play victim about it. It's typical human behavior sure. But SEEMS like more entrenched than many of my hauntings.

You made a couple of good points. I guess the thing that really urks me is those that watch games like all of us and then based on watching games they come across like they are experts making coaching type comments and always saying they have been watching for X amount of time to backup their coaching comments.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Oh I see you're another one that is going to put all the blame on Prescott if the team, you know this TEAM sport, doesn't make it. I'll also bet that if they do you'll then say it IS a team sport and he had a lot of help doing it and not give him any credit. A blind man can see what you're saying.

For 40 million, he should should be all that and more. Put your money where you mouth is.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
For 40 million, he should should be all that and more. Put your money where you mouth is.

Yet another fan who thinks they know something because they think that the unsubstantiated speculation of 40 mil a year is a real number, never mind that all that are involved in the actually negotiations have said that is bogus amount. But if you want to believe that made up amount knock your socks off.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If there's one key point in the video, it's the "he's getting better" comment. I would agree, to a point, with that. How many complained that the Cowboys couldn't win with Dak because "he only throws for a little over 200 yards a game", etc., yet when he had an average of over 300 yards a game in 2019, it's "he's just padding his stats".

The truth is somewhere in between, Dak is a very good quarterback, but not a great quarterback. However, how many SB champion teams haven't had the "great" or "elite" quarterback? Joe Flacco had one very good year, and with a powerhouse defense, won the SB. If that made him "great", then he just fell apart after that year? Rodgers is a "superhuman" quarterback, yet he's been to what, ONE Super Bowl? Same with Brees, ONE Super Bowl.

My point is sometimes a great quarterback is needed for a team to win a SB, but then sometimes not. Pinning your SB hopes on ONE player is a fool's errand. All it takes is one poor game by your elite quarterback and no SB is the result. Building an overall great team gives you some slack when your quarterback isn't up to par.

Dak is "good enough" to win a SB, if for no other reason than players like Trent Dilfer, etc. having quarterbacked their teams to a title. We know what we have in Dak, dumping him in the "hope" that you can get the next Mahomes is more of a risk, imho, than building a team around his skills. Add to that, what if, just IF, Garrett was the one holding Dak back from being "great"? Let him walk, he goes to a coach like Andy Reid or such, and starts winning SBs, how's that going to feel?

Sorry, we're too far into the Dak era to start over, first of all to get the top quarterback in the draft you have to lose big time, wouldn't have gotten Aikman if not for being 3-13 in 1988. After 25 years of no titles, I for one am NOT wanting to suffer through a year or two of horrible teams just so we can MAYBE get the next Mahomes, or Rodgers. If someone else is, fine, I've no problem with that, to each his own. But Jerry's no spring chicken, he's not going to risk dying during a string of poor years awaiting the arrival of the next superstar quarterback, and his view is all that matters, we have zero say in that..

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If there's one key point in the video, it's the "he's getting better" comment. I would agree, to a point, with that. How many complained that the Cowboys couldn't win with Dak because "he only throws for a little over 200 yards a game", etc., yet when he had an average of over 300 yards a game in 2019, it's "he's just padding his stats".

The truth is somewhere in between, Dak is a very good quarterback, but not a great quarterback. However, how many SB champion teams haven't had the "great" or "elite" quarterback? Joe Flacco had one very good year, and with a powerhouse defense, won the SB. If that made him "great", then he just fell apart after that year? Rodgers is a "superhuman" quarterback, yet he's been to what, ONE Super Bowl? Same with Brees, ONE Super Bowl.

My point is sometimes a great quarterback is needed for a team to win a SB, but then sometimes not. Pinning your SB hopes on ONE player is a fool's errand. All it takes is one poor game by your elite quarterback and no SB is the result. Building an overall great team gives you some slack when your quarterback isn't up to par.

Dak is "good enough" to win a SB, if for no other reason than players like Trent Dilfer, etc. having quarterbacked their teams to a title. We know what we have in Dak, dumping him in the "hope" that you can get the next Mahomes is more of a risk, imho, than building a team around his skills. Add to that, what if, just IF, Garrett was the one holding Dak back from being "great"? Let him walk, he goes to a coach like Andy Reid or such, and starts winning SBs, how's that going to feel?

Sorry, we're too far into the Dak era to start over, first of all to get the top quarterback in the draft you have to lose big time, wouldn't have gotten Aikman if not for being 3-13 in 1988. After 25 years of no titles, I for one am NOT wanting to suffer through a year or two of horrible teams just so we can MAYBE get the next Mahomes, or Rodgers. If someone else is, fine, I've no problem with that, to each his own. But Jerry's no spring chicken, he's not going to risk dying during a string of poor years awaiting the arrival of the next superstar quarterback, and his view is all that matters, we have zero say in that..

One of the better posts I've seen in a while. Usually it's one extreme or the other around here.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

The thing is..

as fans with no access to any inner circle.

We are clueless.

I do not doubt Jerrah makes his staff sign agreements to not discuss anything with the press without the FO saying OK.

Players maybe not so much but they learn what is acceptable for themselves.