Why the extreme points of view on Dak?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
One of the problems is Dak being paid like a top QB, but he is not performing like one. A top QB does not fade during the most critical times in big games. He should step up and perform instead of saying the game was too fast .
He can’t step up. That’s the thing. He can’t.

LysleE

Reaction score
I don’t know that it is personal against Dak, it is just that he just hasn’t lived up to his contract; after all he is being paid like a franchise QB and he has yet to play like one against good teams or in the playoffs.
In the real word, if you aren’t meeting expectations and not performing to par you don’t get a raise and/or bonus; or worse get fired.
I think if Dak made $10- $20 MM per year he wouldn’t get so much criticism.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's preference, not bias. Some think Dak can get us a SB, some think his play under pressure (regardless of CAP%) means we may as well move on, build both lines and fit in a rookie or lesser QB (ala 2016).
Then there’s those guys who simply have a personal bias toward him lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
One of the problems is Dak being paid like a top QB, but he is not performing like one. A top QB does not fade during the most critical times in big games. He should step up and perform instead of saying the game was too fast .
Second team All pro.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Why are they extreme? I can't speak for the people who love Dak, but not only is he not ever going to win a Super Bowl, the dude can't beat great teams. He is not a great QB. And yet we are considering extending this dude at 50 mil. It's insanity.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I understand the various schools of thought on Dak (pro and con) but what I can’t quite wrap my mind around is that people ignore the cap implications of a Dak extension.

I would say that MOST intelligent people realize that most people would want Dak to stick around for a low enough cap hit and most would want Dak to go away at a high enough cap number. The rubber meeting the road with Dak is mostly his cap impact going forward.

The worst situation with Dak isn’t keeping Dak or trading Dak away, or letting Dak walk away in free agency. The worst situation is wrecking the cap with a Dak signing so badly that the team has no chance of competing for a SB with Dak’s cap number.

You can argue at what point the cap number gets too prohibitive to keep Dak but based on the evidence we have in front of us (no Dak extension) that Dak’s demands exceed what the organization thinks that number is.
You are making two assumptions:

1. It is the cap/daks salary, that is the problem
2. Most people want him here if not for 1.

To:

We had quite a lot surveys here regarding daks play and wether people are satisfied with him. When dak had bad games, the surveys showed that. So this has not so much to do with cap implications. It of course has also, but to a much lesser extend than you are assuming it to be.

Dak is a bad (at best lower medicore) nfl player. That is the problem. The cap implications are only a side effect. You dont win with such nfl qbs. I am not talking about games against medicore or bad defenses. I am talking about stiff competition.

The problem with him is that some think if he just had enough talent around him then we would be able to win a sb. Cap is the problem then. Because no franchise can surround one player with a lot of great talent at nearly every important position. Another point is that during his career he always had a lot of talent supporting him. He was never able to establish something against stiffer competition.

Others think you cant win with him regardless. Cap again becomes an argument. Because you dont spent money for a player you are not convinced of.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Worst playoff starting QB record in NFL history after 7 starts.

To be elite you have to have the stats AND play in at least one SB.
Yep, the disparity between regular season and play-offs can be dismissed by luck, however, the most minimal analysis indicates the struggles against better teams, that can take a lead and put the pressure on Dak to perform. (im getting that Jimmie Ward quote again).

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea some have a legitimate preference for his regular season stats and hope that it translates to the Play-Offs. The evidence of last three season's are against him and because of that it's time to move on.
Whether it’s time to move on or not is irrelevant. Especially when he’s under contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand the various schools of thought on Dak (pro and con) but what I can’t quite wrap my mind around is that people ignore the cap implications of a Dak extension.

I would say that MOST intelligent people realize that most people would want Dak to stick around for a low enough cap hit and most would want Dak to go away at a high enough cap number. The rubber meeting the road with Dak is mostly his cap impact going forward.

The worst situation with Dak isn’t keeping Dak or trading Dak away, or letting Dak walk away in free agency. The worst situation is wrecking the cap with a Dak signing so badly that the team has no chance of competing for a SB with Dak’s cap number.

You can argue at what point the cap number gets too prohibitive to keep Dak but based on the evidence we have in front of us (no Dak extension) that Dak’s demands exceed what the organization thinks that number is.
I think the divide isn’t about the contract as much as their belief in his ability.

If you don’t believe he’s enough then it doesn’t really matter what his contract is. You’re ready to move on.

Most of his detractors wouldn’t want him at 25 or 30 mil. His contract without more success in the playoffs simply becomes a talking point.

If you think he’s enough or could be enough then the contract simply is part of doing business with what most critics more in the middle consider a top 10 caliber QB.

I’m not sure 50 or 55+ mil per make that much difference as Cap is expected to rise about 10% a season.

We’re assuming our FO would make the most of the 5-10 million saved and all that’s holding us back.

khiladi

Reaction score
His contract isn’t going to make him be able to throw against zone coverage nor are more WRs going to make him process the field faster…