Why the massive dislike for Bosa?

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
Bosa was a force making plays everywhere his first two years. His 3rd year he was giving the clowney treatment. Tripled and doubled teamed every down and ran the play opposite of him and he still managed to make plenty of plays. He's not maxed out in potential. He's raw and young

BlueNSilver88

Throwing up the X
Reaction score
I keep seeing critics of Bosa say he is already 'maxed' out. He is only 20 years old...how do you even qualify a statement like that? You reach your 'cap' around age 25. That particular comment doesn't make much sense to me

BlueNSilver88

Throwing up the X
Reaction score
Just for the record, I actually want Elliot/Ramsey for our 1st round pick. I am just trying to gauge why the board is so down with Bosa when most of the scout rankings I've read have Bosa as a top 4 talent in this draft. When people give their criticisms of Bosa - what exactly are you basing these on? What are your qualifiers? Have you played DE in college before?

People just say "oh he is going to be a bust," which reminds me of all the times a casual NFL fan has told me through out the years "Oh you actually like Romo? That dude sucks." with the most confidence behind their statements like if they actually knew what they were talking about

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I keep seeing critics of Bosa say he is already 'maxed' out. He is only 20 years old...how do you even qualify a statement like that? You reach your 'cap' around age 25. That particular comment doesn't make much sense to me

When people say that it relates to his frame. Is he especially tall? Are his arms very long? Is he explosive athletically? Is his body about as pumped out as it is going to get? Does he demonstrate qualities that show he can get better than he already is?

He is more of an effort player that gets his success out of work, not simply by overwhelming with raw talent. He is a great technical rusher who will now face tackles a lot more skilled that he ever saw in college.

So maxed out is not a slight on him. Just a descriptor that suggests that he might be closer to his ceiling than other players.

I am hardly a fan, but I am not going to get extremely upset if he was the "safe" pick.

I just do not expect him to have an impact that transforms a defense. He will be a quality piece for a long time more than likely though.

There is a reason you are seeing more Justin Smith comparisons than J.J. Watt ones.

BlueNSilver88

Throwing up the X
Reaction score
When people say that it relates to his frame. Is he especially tall? Are his arms very long? Is he explosive athletically? Is his body about as pumped out as it is going to get? Does he demonstrate qualities that show he can get better than he already is?

He is more of an effort player that gets his success out of work, not simply by overwhelming with raw talent. He is a great technical rusher who will now face tackles a lot more skilled that he ever saw in college.

So maxed out is not a slight on him. Just a descriptor that suggests that he might be closer to his ceiling than other players.

I am hardly a fan, but I am not going to get extremely upset if he was the "safe" pick.

I just do not expect him to have an impact that transforms a defense. He will be a quality piece for a long time more than likely though.

There is a reason you are seeing more Justin Smith comparisons than J.J. Watt ones.

Thank you. I appreciate your thoughts! This is what I wanted, more substance behind the comments

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Human nature. If our draft pick was #12 the crowd would be lamenting how the team has no chance at a true blue chipper like Bosa.

Could be but I don't think anyone believes he's the 2nd coming of JJ Watt. Whereas the upside on Buckner ... or even picks like Ogbah, Spence and Lawson, seem to have certain appeal for a quick twitch phenom addition to 'your' Dallas Cowboys.

Plus he certainly after all is said, done and explicated is a Left Defensive End, not the more coveted, important and game changing right side pass rusher. As the above post states.

Last edited:

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
You think he led the nation in TFLs all three years?

I don't know where you are getting this information, but it is just completely wrong.

He was not even in the top ten in the nation in his final season.
Right. The two guys who led that category last year resided in Tiger Town.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I still want to see the breakdown of Bosa's stats against top teams versus 2nd tier teams.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Nothing jumps off the screen when watching him. You're talking a #4 overall pick. And I don't think the comparisons to Chris Long help. I think Long was a very overrated, but nice player. I couldn't imagine Long being worth the #2 pick if they did his draft over again (or even #4 overall for that matter). Seems like a good player against the run, but not a terror out on the edge. I don't think Lawrence is RDE material and I don't think Bosa is either. Watching guys like Khalil Mack and you see a player that really excites you. Even Bud Dupree had some athleticism that really jumps off the screen. And I think if Randy Gregory had his head on straight, he would be rated ahead of Bosa at the same stage.

I could see Bosa with the upside of a Willie McGinest, but I could see him as another Chris Long as well. McGinest was a great fit for the Patriots system with a smart defensive coach. I don't think Marinelli is a dummie, but his approach is about explosiveness and getting upfield as much as possible. Not sure it's really the fit we want at the 4th overall pick.

YR

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't like Bosa the person. Bosa the player, I'm not crazy about, but he has produced. But Bosa the person is not the sort of individual I want as the face of my franchise

fishspill

Reaction score
Could be but I don't think anyone believes he's the 2nd coming of JJ Watt. Whereas the upside on Buckner ... or even picks like Ogbah, Spence and Lawson, seem to have certain appeal for a quick twitch phenom addition to 'your' Dallas Cowboys.

Plus he certainly after all is said, done and explicated is a Left Defensive End, not the more coveted, important and game changing right side pass rusher. As the above post states.

I'm not so sure Buckner or Ogbah will live on the right side either. And 'quick twitch phenom' just strikes me as at best odd since his testing at the combine showed comparable or superior performance in those regards. I also find it extra curious there's so little perceived upside in a 20 year old. Maybe cutter is onto something when it comes to race. I know I'd feel apprehensive about a white RB or CB but a DE I'm not so uncomfortable with.

Alexander

Reaction score
One other thing about Bosa. He played on some extremely talented Ohio State teams, this past class in particular is just insane.

I know it sounds unfair to hold that against him, but there are plenty of examples where players from star-studded programs like that don't manage to find their fit in the NFL.

Alexander

Reaction score
But Bosa the person is not the sort of individual I want as the face of my franchise

GIF-happy-RAD-slow-smile-smile-Spicoli-yes-GIF.gif

Why not?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bosa is a 20 year old junior. I have no idea why people think that he has peaked.
My favorite answer:
I was listening to Kirwin yesterday on the radio, he was talking about Bosa and that he sees him as topped out. He was better trained than most kids are in high school, and in college because his dad was a former player. But he has plateaued and is probably as good as he is going to get. He compared him to Brian Cushing, who was also highly trained in HS and College. He felt that coming into the NFL Cushing had topped out, he was as good as he was ever going to be. And it looks like he was right about Cushing.
:clap:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Is it because he is a 'boring' pick? Games are won and lost in the trenches. I'll take boring substance (Tim Duncan) over the glitz and glamour any day.

"massive hate" is a bit of an overstatement, don't ya think?

DFWJC

Reaction score
The best way I can sum up Bosa is this.

If you did not really "need" a DE as desperately as we do, would you think he is worth taking just to take him because he is going to be that good as a professional?

So assume Gregory was fine and Lawrence completely healthy, would you figure he is just too good to pass up?
im not blown away by Bosa either, however...
Since Bosa is considered a better straight up prospect by almost all scouts than any of the QBS, that same question could be asked about them as well.