Why the offense probably won’t be cured by a new OC

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AND an OC who will run more then loooog developing button hooks or curl route EVERY other play.

I don't think so but I guess we will find out. Claiming that is a Garrett system is BS Dallas runs slants, screens, post plays, crossing routs, drag routs and deep balls but you have got to execute them. There are no magic plays, and yes I think Linehan could have done better about setting up plays off others, such as running a curl routes and then running a double move off of that to attack as CB start getting aggressive on those curl routs. My hope is a new OC will do better about stringing plays together

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Probably, say ohhh the one the RAM's have, or Chiefs have or Saints have or Pat's have or..... take your pick. Good grief Die, it's as if you seem to think ALL those QB's on the teams mentioned do it all on their own, no great coaching, no great play calling, game planning, no elite go out and get it receiver's.... come on man, the Dak is average has become more then just mundane, it's gotten down right ridiculous.
I’m tired of these slobbering Dak fans who think he’s the next coming. He’s an average passing QB at best who’s benefited from an elite supporting cast on the most part.

The bottom line is those QB’s elevate all around them. Much like Romo did and I was a critic at times of him as well.

The Cowboys championship history starts with elite QB’s. I’m tired of trying to build it without one.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I don't think so but I guess we will find out. Claiming that is a Garrett system is BS Dallas runs slants, screens, post plays, crossing routs, drag routs and deep balls but you have got to execute them. There are no magic plays, and yes I think Linehan could have done better about setting up plays off others, such as running a curl routes and then running a double move off of that to attack as CB start getting aggressive on those curl routs. My hope is a new OC will do better about stringing plays together
Brother, it got so bad after Cooper came on, HE was insisting in the huddle for Dak to over ride the stupid passing routes being called up from...our OC.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Then explain why Dak has been ranked mostly below average in passing stats. With his strong finish he actually pulled himself up to 15th ranked but was 20ish for most of the season.

More excuses. Dak needs so much elite around him.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

So much elite? Before Cooper what was elite? The WR crew wasn't even average. The TE crew was the worst in the league. His offensive line yielded 56 sacks. Zeke is great for sure but Dak got terrible protection and had very little to work with at the skill position. His strong finish was thanks to 2 things - Cooper and the firing of Paul Alexander. 2017 for me was a throw away given it was his SECOND year and he was surrounded by dysfunction. 2016 Dak was Elite - Near the top in Rating and YPA. I am not saying he is Tom Brady. I am saying he is much better than a bus driver.

Despite all the garbage surrounding the offense - blocking, scheme, play calling, garbage WRs and TE, suspensions, Dak has been a much better than average QB. He also has every intangible you would want. My view is that let's let the guy develop, get a chance with a better offense, and play a full season with Cooper and a stud youngster like Gallup.

The Dak hate is mind blowing to me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So much elite? Before Cooper what was elite? The WR crew wasn't even average. The TE crew was the worst in the league. His offensive line yielded 56 sacks. Zeke is great for sure but Dak got terrible protection and had very little to work with at the skill position. His strong finish was thanks to 2 things - Cooper and the firing of Paul Alexander. 2017 for me was a throw away given it was his SECOND year and he was surrounded by dysfunction. 2016 Dak was Elite - Near the top in Rating and YPA. I am not saying he is Tom Brady. I am saying he is much better than a bus driver.

Despite all the garbage surrounding the offense - blocking, scheme, play calling, garbage WRs and TE, suspensions, Dak has been a much better than average QB. He also has every intangible you would want. My view is that let's let the guy develop, get a chance with a better offense, and play a full season with Cooper and a stud youngster like Gallup.

The Dak hate is mind blowing to me.
Right.. before Cooper we were 3-4 and on the cusp of a complete collapse .

We’ve seen twice now what Dak is when elite talent is removed .

Flamma

Reaction score
1. Because the offensive woes are a philosophical problem that originates with the head coach.
Garrett is a conservative head coach who will NEVER coach any other way. He won’t hire an OC who wants to “open things up” offensively because that’s not Garrett. He likes to play a certain way- specifically run the ball, get the lead, control the clock, take few chances, and trust your defense to hold on or your offense to simply dominate TOP. Being offensively aggressive is not in his nature.

Maybe my memory fails me, but wasn't Garrett the OC in 2007? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, seriously asking. That year didn't seem very conservative to me.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You may be right. If Garrett had his way, we would still have Linehan. But I expect to see the bright but green Kellen Moore be Garrett’s choice. Besides, what top offensive mind would want to walk into a situation where the HC has one year left on his contract?
one that has eyes on taking his job..

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I’m tired of these slobbering Dak fans who think he’s the next coming. He’s an average passing QB at best who’s benefited from an elite supporting cast on the most part.

The bottom line is those QB’s elevate all around them. Much like Romo did and I was a critic at times of him as well.

The Cowboys championship history starts with elite QB’s. I’m tired of trying to build it without one.

And there it is..... I knew somewhere in the TR festering love crush, the old slobbering Dak fans was in there.... took a while to get it out, but I'm sure you feel much better now Die...for you, its either or, no middle ground. You must HATE the crap out of the dink and dunk bum, or your just another in a list of slobbering alter boys at the feet of Dak Prescott....I don't know of ONE fan who supports this QB, who hasn't been critical of his obvious issues. Difference is, were all willing to actually LOOK at all the average coaching he has been handed his first 3 years in. Not to leave out the great JJ and Stephen Jones and that FO masquerading as all pro GM's... add to it, your take about how great all those big name QB's on the winning teams are heads above ole slop butted Dak never taking into account the difference in years playing... IE learning, building on and changing old habits, and that most if not all had at least 1 year to sit and learn behind a teams starter. Ok, you hate Dak, he will never measure up to your pro standards of what a QB should be...it amazes me how in the world the Dallas cowboys have not seen all the greatness of these fans who seem to know everything about players and positions and ran over to their house's to offer them high paying position's on the team. But, I digress, it's not even worthy of arguing the point any longer... you continue to hate and demean DP, and we will continue to support him and hope he succeeds. I will add, even the great TR, never brought this team any where close to sniffing an NFCC game or the SB for that matter. I never hated on TR, but I damn well saw what a cheesy supporting class JJ had put him in and understood, no matter how great or balls out you are, if you don't have 11 people supporting and working to the same end, then all the greatness in the world will carry you about as far as a fart will push you.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Brother, it got so bad after Cooper came on, HE was insisting in the huddle for Dak to over ride the stupid passing routes being called up from...our OC.

I understand and agree, that is what I mean about running plays off other plays. Every team runs these curls but only way to keep the DB guessing is by faking the curl off a double move and taking it down the field. If there is one area I felt Dallas lacked is setting up plays off other plays. I think Dallas a big reason for the change at OC was because of the issues within the passing game. Dallas can run the ball but must improve in their effectiveness in the passing game. Keeping a balanced attack is not just a Cowboys think when you look at the Rams or the Pats there is balance in what they do. Hell Pats will dink and dunk all day long but will also hit you with a deep ball as safeties try to come up to support on those dink and dunk passes. Pats Running game played a big part in them making it to the SB. So I don't have any issues with Dallas trying to run a balanced offense to use the run and the pass but we must improve within our passing game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Whatever. You believe what you want. Aaron Rodgers is pretty good right? How has that team done the last couple years without good talent around him?

Exactly, every QB needs talent around them. This notion that Dak needs talented players sure he does. Montana needed Jerry Rice, Marino needed Duper and Clayton, Troy needed Irvin. Romo himself had TO and Dez. None of these QB are doing it without very good talent around them

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Whatever. You believe what you want. Aaron Rodgers is pretty good right? How has that team done the last couple years without good talent around him?
It’s more about what he did with mostly less talent than Dak has had over his career.

And last year the Packers missed the playoffs for first time in 8 years of course because Rodgers was out.

Are you comparing Dak to Rodgers? Lol

And it’s not about what I believe. It’s what I see and the NFL stats represent. If you want to believe our Clowns can build a championship team around him then so be it. We shall see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Exactly, every QB needs talent around them. This notion that Dak needs talented players sure he does. Montana needed Jerry Rice, Marino needed Duper and Clayton, Troy needed Irvin. Romo himself had TO and Dez. None of these QB are doing it without very good talent around them
Brady and the second stringers are. Lol

And what other QB’s have had the leagues leading rusher, 2 Pro Bowl OL and a WR1? And then a top 10 defense to boot this year.

The point is all we need to see is what we have without that surrounding talent. That’s what convinced me.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It’s more about what he did with mostly less talent than Dak has had over his career.

And last year the Packers missed the playoffs for first time in 8 years of course because Rodgers was out.

Are you comparing Dak to Rodgers? Lol

And it’s not about what I believe. It’s what I see and the NFL stats represent. If you want to believe our Clowns can build a championship team around him then so be it. We shall see.

This will be my last point on this because we have to agree to disagree. Pack was 4-3 went he went down and 6-9-1 this year. I am not comparing them - you must have missed my previous point when I said Dak is not at the Brady level. Rodgers is. Not many, in history, are. You are nuts if you think Dak has had better talent to play with than Rodgers. Besides Zeke for 2 years what has Dak had. An old Jason Witten for 2 years, an over rated man baby for 2 years, and a half season of Cooper. That's it.

No one on this forum hates the Dallas ownership and FO more than me so I agree winning a Championship is a long shot. You want to know what is another long shot - finding a capable replacement for Dak. That is a moon shot. Not winning will not be Dak's fault.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Brady and the second stringers are. Lol

And what other QB’s have had the leagues leading rusher, 2 Pro Bowl OL and a WR1? And then a top 10 defense to boot this year.

The point is all we need to see is what we have without that surrounding talent. That’s what convinced me.

2nd stingers? lol ok. Brady is just different I guess. lol As for Dallas I can't think of a single SB played or win by Staubach or Aikman that did not have great talent around them, that is what wins championships it is overall talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Put Dak on any below average team and he’d su
This will be my last point on this because we have to agree to disagree. Pack was 4-3 went he went down and 6-9-1 this year. I am not comparing them - you must have missed my previous point when I said Dak is not at the Brady level. Rodgers is. Not many, in history, are. You are nuts if you think Dak has had better talent to play with than Rodgers. Besides Zeke for 2 years what has Dak had. An old Jason Witten for 2 years, an over rated man baby for 2 years, and a half season of Cooper. That's it.

No one on this forum hates the Dallas ownership and FO more than me so I agree winning a Championship is a long shot. You want to know what is another long shot - finding a capable replacement for Dak. That is a moon shot. Not winning will not be Dak's fault.
Why do you believe it would be so difficult finding a replacement for Dak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
2nd stingers? lol ok. Brady is just different I guess. lol As for Dallas I can't think of a single SB played or win by Staubach or Aikman that did not have great talent around them, that is what wins championships it is overall talent.
I agree but we’ve never won a championship without a great QB and not many teams are.

Why are we so determined to take the harder road ?