Why the offense probably won’t be cured by a new OC

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d continue pursuing an elite QB until we find one.

There’s two type of teams in the NFL. Ones building around an elite QB and the rest trying to find one and make due until they do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We’re stuck with an owner who insist on being our GM, his son we’re stuck with as our VP and their puppetry coaching staff.

Why must we be stuck with an average rated QB? Because we’re afraid to try and find a better one?

The Cowboys have so many obstacles to overcome it would be nice if QB wasn’t one of them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree but we’ve never won a championship without a great QB and not many teams are.

Why are we so determined to take the harder road ?

They and some of us feel different about what Dak is capable of. If you are of the mindset that he can't then there is nothing I can say that will make you feel different.

TWOK11

Reaction score
OP is fundamentally flawed given that Garret’s supposedly immutable offensive philosophy has only exist since 2014. From 2007-2013 Dallas had the second highest percentage of throws > 20 yards down field and had a very aggressive passing attack.

blueblood70

Reaction score
why making preconceived assumptions like this before we see proof, is why this site full of negative trolls will also not change the offense regardless of how you FEEL..

GMO415

Reaction score
Hate to say it my fellow Cowboys fans but hoping we get a new OC that will make our offense more like the other successful NFL offenses like the rams, saints or chiefs is probably not going to happen.

Why?

1. Because the offensive woes are a philosophical problem that originates with the head coach.
Garrett is a conservative head coach who will NEVER coach any other way. He won’t hire an OC who wants to “open things up” offensively because that’s not Garrett. He likes to play a certain way- specifically run the ball, get the lead, control the clock, take few chances, and trust your defense to hold on or your offense to simply dominate TOP. Being offensively aggressive is not in his nature.

2. Because this team is invested to run the ball.
There are 4 first round picks in the last 7 drafts that are directly tied to having a dominant running game. Having Zeke and 3 first round OL is great except for the fact that that style of football requires your OL to physically dominate opponents, which is extremely difficult in a league where being physically dominant to win is very difficult to maintain an entire season. The NFL is a league where winning in the playoffs requires you to be able to score in different ways- by both the run and pass.

3. Because if Garrett only has one year to turn this around, he wants to do it “his way”.
Doing it “his way” means Garrett won’t trust hiring some OC that doesn’t align to his philosophy. If Garrett’s butt is on the line, I think he will be more “Garrett-like” rather than less.

For those reasons, I think Kellen Moore is Garrett’s guy as new OC. He can control Moore easier than some new guru coming from the outside. But unfortunately I expect to see pretty much the same offense next year with perhaps a few minor wrinkles.

I sure hope I’m wrong.
Haze, great post. The key is JG is a lame duck HC. Jerry is telling him, he has one-and-only one season left to win a SB. Anything less, and he's gone.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hate to say it my fellow Cowboys fans but hoping we get a new OC that will make our offense more like the other successful NFL offenses like the rams, saints or chiefs is probably not going to happen.

Why?

1. Because the offensive woes are a philosophical problem that originates with the head coach.
Garrett is a conservative head coach who will NEVER coach any other way. He won’t hire an OC who wants to “open things up” offensively because that’s not Garrett. He likes to play a certain way- specifically run the ball, get the lead, control the clock, take few chances, and trust your defense to hold on or your offense to simply dominate TOP. Being offensively aggressive is not in his nature.

There are 4 first round picks in the last 7 drafts that are directly tied to having a dominant running game. Having Zeke and 3 first round OL is great except for the fact that that style of football requires your OL to physically dominate opponents, which is extremely difficult in a league where being physically dominant to win is very difficult to maintain an entire season. The NFL is a league where winning in the playoffs requires you to be able to score in different ways- by both the run and pass.

3. Because if Garrett only has one year to turn this around, he wants to do it “his way”.
Doing it “his way” means Garrett won’t trust hiring some OC that doesn’t align to his philosophy. If Garrett’s butt is on the line, I think he will be more “Garrett-like” rather than less.

For those reasons, I think Kellen Moore is Garrett’s guy as new OC. He can control Moore easier than some new guru coming from the outside. But unfortunately I expect to see pretty much the same offense next year with perhaps a few minor wrinkles.

I sure hope I’m wrong.
ok exlain this, Scott was fired because he wasn't getting it done, not utilizing the weapons correctly and in game play calling..

so you really believe that Garett will simply just be going with the usual knowing hes the only scapegoat left? his job is on the line, heck knowing if they start 3-5 again and its the offense having the same issue he just might be an in season firing? regardless who is the OC garett will be making sure they try hard to correct the issues they were having with Scott, they have all off season to get plan together... run or not they do throw and can call pass heavy games, I mean they scored 22 with limited drives against the rams on the road and lost by score with no running game, they beat the heels off the giants with pass only..

we need a better go to TE, and Fredrick back and consistency at LG and I believe things will look more like they do finishing 8-2 to end the season but with consistency in the play calling..Scott had it going from time to time but wasn't interested in staying creative game to game or quarter by quarter, they underutilized Zeke the first 4 games, they used him too much at times, and for sure not enough RPO, run option with Dak and zeke and just some better disguised formations that doesnt tip the defense on tendency's..i believe we were int he top 10 rushing offense but not top 5 so over 16 games pretty balanced..

if you think they will go with AS USUSAL after finally letting go of Scott, well if you are right Jason wont be coaching the entire 2019 season, mark that in 3" headlines..if they make Moore OC but Garett starts the season calling plays , im sure Moore will gradually slide into it once theres feel for it...

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Put Dak on any below average team and he’d su

Why do you believe it would be so difficult finding a replacement for Dak?

You call the leadership clowns and then suggest replacing Dak would be easy? Makes no sense. How did that Aikman to Romo transition go? With Romo they got lucky. Remember that crew of QBs that came through? If you are talking about going 2-14 to get a number 1 that might work. Might.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I took the complaints to be about throwing at the wrong times. My point isn’t that we shouldn’t be a run dominant team, but that we should be more than just that.

I heard Troy Aikman say in an interview today something that made a lot of sense. Those 90s teams didn’t throw a lot but when they did, it was aggressive. Taking chances at the right time is good offense. Think about what Norv Turner did in that 92 NFC championship game when we were backed up inside the 20 and SF had all the momentum. On first down, Troy threw that slant to Alvin Harper for like 70 yards. Garrett would have called a conservative run there. That’s what being aggressive is all about.

A slant is aggressive?

Ellie826

Reaction score

Why?

I sure hope I’m wrong.

When did that become his philosophy? When he was calling plays, all he did was pass. So much that people were saying he should be running more.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You call the leadership clowns and then suggest replacing Dak would be easy? Makes no sense. How did that Aikman to Romo transition go? With Romo they got lucky. Remember that crew of QBs that came through? If you are talking about going 2-14 to get a number 1 that might work. Might.
Yea, but after Troy we didn’t really try to draft an elite QB.. and still haven’t.

And it doesn’t have to be the#1 overall pick.

I’d keep trying until we hit. Not sure why get attached to less than elite QB. We don’t at other positions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
2 Pro Bowls appearance in first 3 seasons. I think that's good enough.
This year was filling in . He wasn’t actually voted in.

If Romo wasn’t enough why do you think Dak will be?

Dak kinda represents our entire franchise This era. Not enough!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Why?

I sure hope I’m wrong.
I don't think Garrett is any different than 99% of all the coaches. Few ever change what they feel works in their head. Saw that with Shottenheimer everywhere he coached, we've seen that with Reid and when Shula got outside his comfort zone, didn't work well. Also saw it with Kelly and he turned his own team against him because of it.

The magic is a HC being able to assemble the talent necessary to carry out his offense in his head. Landry had that in his head but was missing the necessary piece so he traded up to get Dorsett.

I think the offense this season is wholly dependent on how much confidence the HC and OC have in the QB. I do not think Prescott is a "lean on" QB like Rodgers, Wilson and even Belichick does not regard Brady as lean on because they're in the top 10 in rushing every season and D most seasons.

What types of plays do they feel the most comfortable that he can execute the most consistently with the lowest risk factor? That's the key and I think that was part of it with Linehan because he called a different game than he did for Stafford.

#3, I have not seen that this the make or break year with Garrett but I have seen that referred to several times. Is there fire to that smoke or assumptions being made?

renny

Reaction score
This year was filling in . He wasn’t actually voted in.

If Romo wasn’t enough why do you think Dak will be?

Dak kinda represents our entire franchise This era. Not enough!!
Regardless others see his value, like it or not he's the long term QB of The Dallas Cowboys. Just sayin.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Regardless others see his value, like it or not he's the long term QB of The Dallas Cowboys. Just sayin.
Yep , I know ..but I don’t have to like it. It’s not really a matter of whether I like it not I just don’t think he provides us the best opportunity to win a championship. But neither does Jerry, Stephen and rest of the Arkansas hillbillies.

And I would agree Dak has some value. Obviously we can win some games with him. The road just tougher.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
We are not determined to prove anything Jerry is . The last time we used a 1st rd pick on a QB was Troy . That pretty much tells me Jerry is determined to find diamonds in the rough and have them develop into franchise QB like Tony did to satisfy his ego and have the league look at him as a football genius .

Dak will improve but not at the rate most impatient fans desire because he is a 4th rd pick not 1st round talent . Romo wasn't even playing his 1st 3 yrs and went on to be arguably the best statistical Qb we ever had . Dak has given us much better value getting us to post season 2 out of his 1st 3 yrs and actually winning a game .

Kolemmitts post above #23 says it all Don't worry BE HAPPY
I thoroughly enjoyed reading you're participating post for our perusal,Friend:thumbup: