CFZ Will Dallas Really Run More in 2023? Why?

morasp

Reaction score
What I heard was run the ball more with the overall game strategy in mind rest the defense etc. The OC may not have the overall perspective that the HC would. The comments about when to run the ball and run play design are also spot on, something our new OC was very good at with the seahawks.

Big_D

Reaction score
It’s a matter of doing a better job on the ground in key situations. The when and the why, not really the how much. An offense known to abandon the run or call some off the wall play considering down and distance .

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Just to echo what others have said, I agree that the run totals will not necessarily go up. But the situational awareness will be better, the when to run, when to get the D a rest etc.
I think Kellen is/ was probably a smart offensive mind, who didn't have very good awareness over all.remember Jerry selling us of his on the job training a few years ago. I'm sure he will learn more on his second team and be a better OC for it.
But I do feel it was time for Mike to put his stamp on the playcalling and overall scheme.
My God I pray we have a good and smart haul this draft. To compliment our off-season strategy - simply because apart from the 2 late round trades (for very good players) we haven't really advanced our talent level yet.
Here's hoping !

MyFairLady

Reaction score
When you got a stud like dak you air it out. Sit back and enjoy the show. Regular season stat accumulation incoming.

bewp7

Reaction score
because the qb stinks lol

it is that simple u can over analize if u want

McMicah

Reaction score
There’s an optimistic side of me that thinks Mike genuinely believes it’s the right thing to do, and it will wear down a defense early blah blah.

The cynic in me thinks it’s because (1) He’s trying to appease Jerry and Steven who associate a strong run game with the glory days, and (2) because Dak Prescott doesnt seem to throw from under center unless it’s play action. Seriously, why is that? Is it footwork? Processing speed? I hate it because if Daks under center the defense only needs to worry about a run or PA or maybe a wr screen

CWR

Reaction score
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

Hmmm.....What would more running look like?

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

Interesting to look at the five teams who ran the ball more than Dallas:
-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?

Maybe not more overall, but he wants to kill clock in certain scenarios. Honestly think it's more situational. Also believe he will count screens as run plays.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Because I'm sure he's looked over daks career and saw his best yr was his rookie yr. When they ran it to set up the pass. Imo you go back to that style and with this defense they got a chance at 6.

And idk if you noticed when Moore actually ran the ball consistently in games Dallas was in control. Them stats ur talking about don't give much context. Dallas could have a drive with 9 carries in a 16 play drive. Then go the next 2 drives with 3 carries in both drives combined. That's 12 carries probably 35-40% of the games carries. So while yes they ran the ball, but it was always bunched up into condensed parts of the game.
Moore didnt run the ball consistently. The players didnt. The myth that Moore was pass happy was busted long ago. If he went away from the run it situational or because it wasnt working and they had to.

We have seen the ineptitude of Zeke the last few years.

The Cowboys dont have to run it more they just have to run it better. And with Zeke gone that should be much easier. And hopefully they will pick up a stud guard in the first two rounds.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
WK 7: 25 attempts
WK 8: 27 attempts
WK 9: 46 attempts
WK 10: 25 attempts
WK 11: 30 attempts
WK 12: 30 attempts
WK 13: 30 attempts
WK 14: 39 attempts
WK 15: 30 attempts
WK 16: 35 attempts
WK 17: 41 attempts
WK 18: 37 attempts

postseason
WK 1: 33 attempts
WK 2: 37 attempts

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Moore is just the latest scapegoat for Dak. You can write it down it will be Big Mike this year, or someone else.
Scapegoat for what? Winning 12 games again and making it into the 2nd round of the playoffs? I think you mean credit. Which would be just as dumb as saying he is the scapegoat.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The Cowboys ran the ball more last season than they have since the 94 season. They don’t need to run the ball more they need to run the ball better. The NFL is no longer a 3 yards and a cloud of dust league, you have to throw the ball to score points.
Agreed. How well we run the ball is more important than how much we run it. Improving the OL will make running the ball a lot more productive and will also improve the passing game as well. But fix the OL 1st.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not totally convinced that MM knows exactly what he'll do while playing each and every team we meet. It seems too early to make such knowing statements. Maybe he's just trying to state that he feels he'll be more successful at the running game than what Kellen had to offer. We'll know more after the season gets underway than we do now. I feel confident that actions will only be taken as the conditions allow them to at that point in time.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Sure.

And those HC's if they have a QB of Dak's skill level are, just like Mike, trying to find ways to make him less involved.
Or it could be about what MM has talked extensively about over the past two years. He has been talking about game balance and management since the season ended.

Your insistent daily fixation is pretty weird.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Why are we going to be run happy when we have a high paying QB already?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Moore didnt run the ball consistently. The players didnt. The myth that Moore was pass happy was busted long ago. If he went away from the run it situational or because it wasnt working and they had to.

We have seen the ineptitude of Zeke the last few years.

The Cowboys dont have to run it more they just have to run it better. And with Zeke gone that should be much easier. And hopefully they will pick up a stud guard in the first two rounds.
Moore was extremely formulaic, tending to go back to the traditional run 1st/2nd down to earn the option on 3rd down. He abandoned the run, when behind, and if down by two scores it appears to disappear all together (lack of that composure (again) and gives the stat impression that when Dak throws alot we lose.

The importance of the run game (and Zeke's final scene) can be seen in the 49ers game.....if we dont have it the secondary gets flooded and sit all day, putting Dak in a situation that he's not comfortable with.

Not necessarily the run game, but we need to increase the number of 21/12 personnel. The run game (especially your multi-facetted Pollards) is needed in the WCO.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?
The oline, with everyone healthy, was very good at run blocking.
You lean on that as long as you can.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why run more this year? That is a part of real team dominance...old school or today!