Will Dalton get fair shake?

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I mean yeah. The cowboys are gonna have a guy playing on the tag or a new franchise record deal of course Dalton is going to get his fair shot to put dak on the bench. If I’m betting I’m betting on dalton winning the job outright. He’s that good

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Andy Dalton is already getting a fair shake -- he's Dak's backup. He's aware that he's here to be a backup to Dak and will likely only get to start if Dak holds out or is injured. According to his own words, he knows he'll be restricted to being a backup and he's fine with that. Of course, things could easily change if Dak's unavailable for whatever reason. He's a professional and surely knows exactly what to expect. That's why he signed on.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Andy Dalton is already getting a fair shake -- he's Dak's backup. He's aware that he's here to be a backup to Dak and will likely only get to start if Dak holds out or is injured. According to his own words, he knows he'll be restricted to being a backup and he's fine with that. Of course, things could easily change if Dak's unavailable for whatever reason. He's a professional and surely knows exactly what to expect.
The Duel in Dallas :oldcouple:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If Dak signs Franchise Tag he starts, however, he'll be on a short leash.

If we go 0-3 (Rams -A, Falcons -H and Seahawks-A) - UNLIKELY but possible, then its conceivable we move on and Dalton will start vrs Browns.

Kwyn

Reaction score
WRONG...He signed a 3 million dollar deal to play QB for the cowboys.

What other player do you know that signs to "be a backup"?

Nobody.
Umm, many, many, many of them?

Especially at QB

He knew what he signed up for. He chose it.

It often seems that a significant portion of our posters who live in a world of fantasy

plasticman

Reaction score
If Dalton got a fair shake he'd be retired.

He was truly awful last season.

morat1959

Reaction score
I mean yeah. The cowboys are gonna have a guy playing on the tag or a new franchise record deal of course Dalton is going to get his fair shot to put dak on the bench. If I’m betting I’m betting on dalton winning the job outright. He’s that good
He’s at the very least better than Dak.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
8-8 ain't going to cut it!
We want to WIN now!
Dak has another one of these games you can bet your bottom dollar Dalton is coming in the game!
Sorry, Dak we have given you the best there is and 3 years of .500 ball is pathetic!!!!

2-14 ain't gonna cut it.

Brownshoe

Reaction score
There should be a QB competition. Why not start the best player? I'll give you guys a heads up. I've been a Dalton fan since TCU. Dalton is no where close to being as bad as some of you guys think. His first year was taking over a Cincinnati Bengals team that went 4-12 and only made the playoffs 2 times since 91. He took that really bad team to the playoffs 5 years in a row with not very many weapons. Hell, one year in the playoffs his top receiver was Rex Burkhead (a RB) because there was no one else to throw too. When he did have weapons he was 3rd in TDs and 7th in yards (2013) and in 2015 he was a MVP candidate until he got hurt. He still ended the year at #2 in passer rating, which he was 1st at that point in time. He was also first in 40+ yard passes that year too.

You have to remember he was on a Bengals team that couldn't keep an offensive coordinator (he had 5 in 9 years, 3 of which being brand new, and one just being hot garbage (Bill Lazor). And his head coach was Marvin Lewis, who always had his team look like crap in prime time, and Zach Taylor who wasn't even a coordinator in the NFL). He was one of the most sacked QBs in the league more than half the time he was on the Bengals. He never really had any kind of a run game, and there was only 2 years where he had any kind of receiving corps. He had a bend, but not break defense that always gave up a ton of yards and would be on the field for long periods of time.

I'm not saying that Dalton should start. I'm just saying you should put the best player in.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If Dak signs Franchise Tag he starts, however, he'll be on a short leash.

If we go 0-3 (Rams -A, Falcons -H and Seahawks-A) - UNLIKELY but possible, then its conceivable we move on and Dalton will start vrs Browns.
They should wait until we're 0-8 like the Bengals in 2019 when Dalton got benched.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Umm, many, many, many of them?

Especially at QB

He knew what he signed up for. He chose it.

It often seems that a significant portion of our posters who live in a world of fantasy

Yes...backups sign up to be backups, sure. But....ya know what....once they are signed....if they don't have the INTENT to take the starting job, without malice.....then I don't think they'd make a good football player and it might be why they are backups.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dalton will shine on the field when he comes on after Dak has already put away the opponent

I would be totally okay with that. And why didn;t we do that last year? You should find ways to work in the 2nd qb, so that when you DO need him....he's got so PT.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Dalton is not competing for the starting role in Dallas. Dalton is setting himself up to continue working with an NFL team untill free agency hits in 2021 so he can get paid starting QB money with another team.
I am not sure Dalton will ever start for a team again unless the starter goes down. I am just glad the Cowboys have a good backup. I don't think Rush was the answer.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Do you think with or w/o a contract for Dak will Andy get a fair shake to compete and win the starting job? Will it make a difference if Dak is only the one yr deal or if signed long term?.

Dalton was brought in to be a backup. Did Steve Beurline get a fair shake at the starting job? or Rodney Pete, Bernie Kosar? Dalton is here to backup if you are expecting there to be a battle for starting job you are mistaken.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
But 8-8 with a much better roster is doing it for you bud ehhh????:huh:
Wins and losses are a team sport, that was my point of posting what I did.
You don't even get that you don't get it.