Will Garrett still start Witten if Blake and Dalton outplay him?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just regurgitating some info Ive heard during my many hours of driving listening to anything and everything Cowboys related. Which doesn't necessarily make it true.
It was a reference to Hogans Heros. Used to watch it when I was a kid.

Reactions: CWR

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's going to be snaps afforded for all three of our TEs.

How many each gets is only to be determined by the staff.

How successful each is will go far in making that decision.

It doesn't take a genius to see that if even I figured it out!!

:thumbup: :flagwave: :dance: :flagwave: :grin:

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
It was a reference to Hogans Heros. Used to watch it when I was a kid.

Dang it man, you probably been had that one loaded up and finally had your opportunity and I **** the bed. My bad brother.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
In the 2nd half of 2018 after Swaim was out, Jarwin was the receiving TE and Schultz was the blocking TE. Rico got snaps if they used 3 TEs.

It's likely that they'll use different combinations of the 3 this season.
Witten/Jarwin
Witten/Schultz
Jarwin/Schultz

Witten
Jarwin
Schultz
I just don't see Schultz being that involved in the offense once the season begins.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I wonder how much we're going to use a TE.

The base offense seems to be speed deep and multiple run threats. A TE doesn't fit the scheme that well. You're getting a blocker and a slow receiver who isn't a run threat.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Witten will start, he is a better blocker than the other two. I think Blake gets more playing time in obvious passing downs.

Blocking TEs are overrated. Only in Dallas, they value blocking over catching. Sure its important part of the game. But I'd take a pass-catching TE anytime over one that just comes in and blocks. We don't fool anyone except ourselves.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don't see Schultz being that involved in the offense once the season begins.

The following is intended for people with the ability to understand it.

If it's over the head of the reader then just ignore it.

Two TE sets are normally a strong running formation. Two TE sets with Witten & Jarwin are not a strong running match-up. It's more of a passing set.

If Garrett was still the OC, Jarwin would not play much. Witten would play 100% of snaps and Schultz would get most of the snaps as the 2nd TE in 2 TE sets.

That's how is was with Escobar who was a good receiving option but poor blocker. They used a blocking TE over Escobar and those blocking TEs probably had less receiving ability than Schultz.

With Kellen Moore as the OC and Cowboys management's desire to develop Jarwin, Witten won't play all the snaps anymore.

I do think Moore likes Jarwin and is trying to design plays such that when he has to block that it's the type of blocks where he can succeed (get in the way just enough).

If Garrett was the OC I don't think he could do it unless Jarwin was the #1 TE and Witten was the #2 (blocking TE) in 2 TE sets. I don't think Witten's blocking is close to what it was in 2014. I saw Vander Esch toss him aside in practice as if Witten were a WR.

I think Moore will implement some concepts used by the Rams. The Rams 2nd TE looks like a big WR (6-3, 239) but he is a good bit better as a blocker than Jarwin.

My guess at this point:
2 TE sets (200% for 2 positions):
Witten 70%
Jarwin 70%
Schultz 60%

1 TE sets
Witten 36%
Jarwin 36%
Schultz 28%

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The following is intended for people with the ability to understand it.

If it's over the head of the reader then just ignore it.

Two TE sets are normally a strong running formation. Two TE sets with Witten & Jarwin are not a strong running match-up. It's more of a passing set.

If Garrett was still the OC, Jarwin would not play much. Witten would play 100% of snaps and Schultz would get most of the snaps as the 2nd TE in 2 TE sets.

That's how is was with Escobar who was a good receiving option but poor blocker. They used a blocking TE over Escobar and those blocking TEs probably had less receiving ability than Schultz.

With Kellen Moore as the OC and Cowboys management's desire to develop Jarwin, Witten won't play all the snaps anymore.

I do think Moore likes Jarwin and is trying to design plays such that when he has to block that it's the type of blocks where he can succeed (get in the way just enough).

If Garrett was the OC I don't think he could do it unless Jarwin was the #1 TE and Witten was the #2 (blocking TE) in 2 TE sets. I don't think Witten's blocking is close to what it was in 2014. I saw Vander Esch toss him aside in practice as if Witten were a WR.

I think Moore will implement some concepts used by the Rams. The Rams 2nd TE looks like a big WR (6-3, 239) but he is a good bit better as a blocker than Jarwin.

My guess at this point:
Witten 70%
Jarwin 70%
Schultz 60%

1 TE sets
Witten 36%
Jarwin 36%
Schultz 28%
So you agree with me, Schultz won't play much... and you give Codey McElroy #84, no chance to make the team?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you agree with me, Schultz won't play much... and you give Codey McElroy #84, no chance to make the team?
Did you see the snap percentages I listed as my guess for this season?

McElroy has zero chance to make the 53, IMO. He is not a freakish athlete like Rico but has a similar lack of experience. He is perfect for the practice squad.

cern

Reaction score
the best tight ends in the game today are great receivers and route runners. blocking is important, but can be compensated for in other ways. jarwin and Schultz will get plenty of reps. witten will have his moments, but mostly in the red zone where speed isn't so critical.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Did you see the snap percentages I listed as my guess for this season?

McElroy has zero chance to make the 53, IMO. He is not a freakish athlete like Rico but has a similar lack of experience. He is perfect for the practice squad.
Did you see my response to snap percentages you listed? You agree with me.

I think McElroy is better than Schultz.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not think that is his decision to make anymore than Prescott vs Romo in 2016. That is above his paygrade.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you see my response to snap percentages you listed? You agree with me.

I think McElroy is better than Schultz.
I don't see a response specific to the snap percentages.

The percentages I listed for Schultz would not be considered "not playing much".

I'll list them again:

My guess at this point:
Witten 70%
Jarwin 70%
Schultz 60%

1 TE sets
Witten 36%
Jarwin 36%
Schultz 28%

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't see a response specific to the snap percentages.

The percentages I listed for Schultz would not be considered "not playing much".

I'll list them again:

My guess at this point:
Witten 70%
Jarwin 70%
Schultz 60%

1 TE sets
Witten 36%
Jarwin 36%
Schultz 28%
But these are just your guess and I disagree.