Will Jerry ever bring in a proven HC again?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He's not a bad head coach. He's decent, maybe above average. Good enough to pull off some division wins here and there, not good enough to steer a team through the playoffs against top level teams and coaching to win a SB.

Dallas is stuck in purgatory with this guy. Not bad enough to lose enough to get fired. Not good enough to win the whole ball of wax. So they are left in this state of suspension where Garrett does just enough to trick people into thinking, hey, he can be a SB winning coach.

And then you wake up a decade later and wonder why in the world did we stick with this guy?
I don't think he is a great game HC..... but he is using analytics to improve or his gut is just getting bolder

He is a good front man though and the players respond to him and respect him..... just the fact other stars want to come here says he has a good rep

Getting rid of Linehan and Alexander is huge...... Marinelli getting replaced by Richard is equally big

Jason will fit into the overseer role very well imo

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Because as the Garrett supporters have tried to claim, Garrett is responsible for personnel now as well. So if the defense was always lacking talent, that's on him as well.

It's funny.......... when the talk shifts to good players we have, people want to give Garrett the credit. When the talk shifts to roster failures, suddenly Garrett is the victim of Jerry's bad decisions. Funny how that works.
But since you know that is not true........

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He's not a bad head coach. He's decent, maybe above average. Good enough to pull off some division wins here and there, not good enough to steer a team through the playoffs against top level teams and coaching to win a SB.

Dallas is stuck in purgatory with this guy. Not bad enough to lose enough to get fired. Not good enough to win the whole ball of wax. So they are left in this state of suspension where Garrett does just enough to trick people into thinking, hey, he can be a SB winning coach.

And then you wake up a decade later and wonder why in the world did we stick with this guy?
Isn’t that more reflective of our talent level than our coaching? Or do you believe this is a championship caliber roster ?

I’m all for bringing in a proven HC if Jerry gets out of the way but until he does I’m not sure we will find a better puppet who can help influence Jerry while helping prevent collapses with Jerry’s distractions in this dysfunctional organization. We aren’t set up for success.

Sydla

Reaction score
Isn’t that more reflective of our talent level than our coaching? Or do you believe this is a championship caliber roster ?

I’m all for bringing in a proven HC if Jerry gets out of the way but until he does I’m not sure we will find a better puppet who can help influence Jerry while helping prevent collapses with Jerry’s distractions in this dysfunctional organization. We aren’t set up for success.

It's a combo of both. I think the team has had flaws that an average coach like Garrett could never overcome.

But I suspect a better coach could have taken gotten more out of some of these teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do you think we've had a championship caliber team?
Absolutely not. We’ve been close a couple times. Like in 2007 and 2014 which I thought were our best teams since the 90’s.

I’d loved to have seen Romo continue on after 2014 while we continued to build this defense.

If we had that 2014 offense with this defense we might have a true championship contender.

Sydla

Reaction score
COY 2016 with a rookie QB, 9-7 with Zeke missing 6 games and making the playoffs after starting 3-5. Facts

But those "facts" don't prove anything. You called his 2018 season "great". That's an opinion. You said going 9-7 in 2017 was "good".

That's an opinion.

Here's a fact. 2 playoff wins in 8 years. That's not good. That would be my opinion.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you knew the point you would have told me

This doesn't even make sense. The point was pretty clear but I am not surprised you didn't get it.

Garrett fans, such as yourself, shift the conversation as you see fit in order to put Garrett in the best possible light.

The reality is when one has to do that, he's basically admitted without actually realizing it, that Garrett is just an average to slightly above average HC.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Absolutely not. We’ve been close a couple times. Like in 2007 and 2014 which I thought were our best teams since the 90’s.

I’d loved to have seen Romo continue on after 2014 while we continued to build this defense.

If we had that 2014 offense with this defense we might have a true championship contender.
See, I think we've had the players to do it at times, but in part, play calling and clock management have derailed our efforts. I'm not laying all the blame at Garrett's feet, but I definitely think there are coaches who could've brought these teams farther than JG did.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's a combo of both. I think the team has had flaws that an average coach like Garrett could never overcome.

But I suspect a better coach could have taken gotten more out of some of these teams.
So, we are expecting our HC to overcome the flaws our GM has created.
He's the HC, the man with the vision, the guy whose philosophy the team is based on, so yeah.
You can’t be serious. Lol

ItzKelz

Reaction score
But those "facts" don't prove anything. You called his 2018 season "great". That's an opinion. You said going 9-7 in 2017 was "good".

That's an opinion.

Here's a fact. 2 playoff wins in 8 years. That's not good. That would be my opinion.
Those facts happened. If he would have went 7-9 the last 3 seasons he would be fired because those facts

Sydla

Reaction score

Yes, that's what we are left with as fans. That Jerry hires a HC that is able to navigate the murky waters churned by Jerry. That the HC is good enough to overcome some of the inevitable flaws our roster will likely have.

No one said it's an ideal situation. But it's simply the reality of the situation. Garrett hasn't been able to do it. It's probably time we try someone else and hope to get lucky.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
See, I think we've had the players to do it at times, but in part, play calling and clock management have derailed our efforts. I'm not laying all the blame at Garrett's feet, but I definitely think there are coaches who could've brought these teams farther than JG did.
This is all at Jerry’s feet because he’s not willing to bring in a greater HC.

And we’ve been talent dependent. We will go as far as our talent will take us. This is Jerry’s ways.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What flaws has JJ created that a good HC couldn't overcome?
You can’t be serious. Lol
Of course I'm serious. Whose philosophy is the "process", if not Garrett's?