Will Jerry ever bring in a proven HC again?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is probably as good as
When Jerry wanted a proven HC, he got Parcells.

Garrett had similar experience to McVay when Garrett was hired as the Head Coach.

Sometimes the recycled Head Coaching hires work out; however, it seems that as many or more successful Head Coaches were not previously NFL Head Coaches and many were not college Head Coaches.

Most fans wish Sean Payton would have been hired by the Cowboys instead of the Saints; however, while Payton had more years as an assistant coach than Garrett, he was only promoted to OC in 2000 and then demoted before joining the Cowboys in 2003. He was never officially given the title of OC in Dallas, IIRC. Was Payton a proven coach when the Saints hired him?

Personally, there are only a few current NFL Head Coaches that I would want Jerry to hire if they became available.

I think the young, less proven guys like McVay are often a better option.

Hired Coach
2019 Zac Taylor
2019 Vic Fangio
2019 Matt LaFleur
2019 Kliff Kingsbury
2019 Freddie Kitchens
2019 Bruce Arians
2019 Brian Flores
2019 Adam Gase
2018 Pat Shurmur
2018 Mike Vrabel
2018 Matt Patricia
2018 Matt Nagy
2018 Jon Gruden
2018 Frank Reich
2017 Sean McVay
2017 Sean McDermott
2017 Kyle Shanahan
2017 Doug Marrone
2017 Anthony Lynn
2016 Doug Pederson
2015 Dan Quinn
2014 Mike Zimmer
2014 Jay Gruden
2014 Bill O'Brien
2013 Andy Reid
2011 Ron Rivera
2010 Pete Carroll
2010 Jason Garrett
2008 John Harbaugh
2007 Mike Tomlin
2006 Sean Payton
2000 Bill Belichick
Why do you believe those prospects would come here with Jerry than other franchises assuming Jerry would pursue them?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Philly didn't hire a proven Head Coach
LA didn't hire a proven Head Coach

Who exactly is available that the Cowboys should hire that is a "proven Head Coach"?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is probably as good as

Why do you believe those prospects would come here with Jerry than other franchises assuming Jerry would pursue them?

Has there ever been a documented instance of Jerry getting turned down by a coach he tried to hire?

Are you saying that Bill Parcells took the job but if Sean McVay had been offered the job in 2017 (before the Rams offer) that he would have turned it down?

I'm referring to the job of Head Coach.

In regards to Offensive Coordinator, I think many would turn that down because Garrett was once the Offensive Coordinator and is now the Head Coach.

I don't think coaches would turn down the D-Coordinator job because Garrett appears to be hands off in that area. Some might be reluctant due to Garrett being in the last year of his contract; however, that also means they might get promoted to HC if Garrett's contract was not extended after the season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Has there ever been a documented instance of Jerry getting turned down by a coach he tried to hire?

Are you saying that Bill Parcells took the job but if Sean McVay had been offered the job in 2017 (before the Rams offer) that he would have turned it down?

In regards to Offensive Coordinator, I think many would turn that down because Garrett was once the Offensive Coordinator and is now the Head Coach.

I don't think coaches would turn down the D-Coordinator job because Garrett appears to be hands off in that area. Some might be reluctant due to Garrett being in the last year of his contract; however, that also means they might get promoted to HC if Garrett's contract was not extended after the season.
The problem is he didn’t pursue anyone proven but Parcells that would work in this dysfunctional organization.

So, you don’t have any doubts that any named HC would come here with Jerry ways if he pursued them?

I do believe if given the choice between the Rams and Cowboys McVay would have chosen LA.

And I didn’t hear of the Cowboys pursuing anyone as OC after firing Linehan. Not sure who’d be interested?

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Philly didn't hire a proven Head Coach
LA didn't hire a proven Head Coach

Who exactly is available that the Cowboys should hire that is a "proven Head Coach"?

The bigger question is given the choice would any of these come to Dallas to HC within Jerry’s dysfunctional organization.

Big_D

Reaction score
Why the hell would he? He has zero expectations every year. 10 years with this clown and he's OK with the lack of results.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Jerry hired his Coach for Life when he extended JGarrett..... he was tired of changing directions and getting to know new HCs.... he knew his role was dwindling and his time wasn't too long on this Earth so he wanted someone he truly liked and would never embarrass the team.... the wives liking each other was icing on the cake

Jerry was never put to the test of hiring a new HC with an open casting call after Parcells and will never have to in the future..... JG is getting a ring in the next few years and that will secure his future in DAL

Sydla

Reaction score

I don't think there is any chance McVay would have taken the Cowboys job. He was given a lot of control and input in LA.

Few coaches are going to sign up for a situation where the owner picks the players, handles FA, and picks his assistant coaches. Remember, Parcells hadn't been coaching for 4 seasons before Jerry begged him to take the job. So it wasn't like they plucked Parcells from another big time gig. Parcells was on his last run as a coach and probably wasn't as concerned about Jerry's input at that point.

And I suspect the OCs would turn down this job because they might be looking at this like a short term gig - Garrett might not be long for this world.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jerry hired his Coach for Life when he extended JGarrett..... he was tired of changing directions and getting to know new HCs.... he knew his role was dwindling and his time wasn't too long on this Earth so he wanted someone he truly liked and would never embarrass the team.... the wives liking each other was icing on the cake

Jerry was never put to the test of hiring a new HC with an open casting call after Parcells and will never have to in the future..... JG is getting a ring in the next few years and that will secure his future in DAL

Hold on. The wives liking each other even factors into the decision to keep Garrett?

If that's true, then Jerry is a bigger fool than I could ever imagine. The relationship the wives have should not be a factor (even a small one) AT ALL in whether you keep a coach.

Also, define a "few" years? 2? 3? 4? Just wondering when we can then judge Garrett. Like if he doesn't win a SB in the next 3 years, you'll come back here and say, "You know what? I was wrong, he's not the answer............"

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Huh?

The point is that a COY award doesn't necessarily mean the guy is a great coach.
It means he did a great job that year. 9-7 with Zeke missing 6 games is good job. Making the playoffs after a 3-5 start is a great job. If any other coach had done these things Cowboys fans would be begging JJ to hire them.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry has only brought in a proven HC twice in his era. Initially to set the teams course bringing them out of potential bankruptcy and the second time to resurrect from a 5-11 Funk to gain public support for a new stadium.

What would it take for Jerry to set his ego aside again or stop his pursuit of trying to prove he can build and win a championship without a proven HC who’d receive more credit than him?

Or are we stuck in this situation until Jerry’s last breathe barring a total collapse or financial barrier?

Remember he tried winning championships with a great HC but didn’t like not receiving the credit he was pursuing. What gives us hope Jerry will change?

I think it'd require an amazing realization of his failures for Jerry to welcome another HC with the proven past qualifications of a Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells. An impending downturn in franchise profits might also be a just cause to justify such a change, imho. Neither scenario is likely anytime soon.

Sydla

Reaction score
It means he did a great job that year. 9-7 with Zeke missing 6 games is good job. Making the playoffs after a 3-5 start is a great job. If any other coach had done these things Cowboys fans would be begging JJ to hire them.

Whatever you need to convince yourself. And no, people wouldn't be banging the drum to hire a HC who has 2 playoff wins in 8 years.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Mind you I'm not a Garrett hater, but that said, regardless of his "accolades", he should have brought this team much farther several times, with the talent we've had.
If the excuse for Romo is he never had a defense; how do we as fans not give JG the same benefit of the doubt?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Hold on. The wives liking each other even factors into the decision to keep Garrett?

If that's true, then Jerry is a bigger fool than I could ever imagine. The relationship the wives have should not be a factor (even a small one) AT ALL in whether you keep a coach.

Also, define a "few" years? 2? 3? 4? Just wondering when we can then judge Garrett. Like if he doesn't win a SB in the next 3 years, you'll come back here and say, "You know what? I was wrong, he's not the answer............"
Everything is a factor

A few years is within 3 or 4.... if they don't get a Lombardi but keep winning Divisions it will be hard to say he was a bad HC

Sydla

Reaction score
If the excuse for Romo is he never had a defense; how do we as fans not give JG the same benefit of the doubt?

Because as the Garrett supporters have tried to claim, Garrett is responsible for personnel now as well. So if the defense was always lacking talent, that's on him as well.

It's funny.......... when the talk shifts to good players we have, people want to give Garrett the credit. When the talk shifts to roster failures, suddenly Garrett is the victim of Jerry's bad decisions. Funny how that works.

Sydla

Reaction score
Everything is a factor

A few years is within 3 or 4.... if they don't get a Lombardi but keep winning Divisions it will be hard to say he was a bad HC

He's not a bad head coach. He's decent, maybe above average. Good enough to pull off some division wins here and there, not good enough to steer a team through the playoffs against top level teams and coaching to win a SB.

Dallas is stuck in purgatory with this guy. Not bad enough to lose enough to get fired. Not good enough to win the whole ball of wax. So they are left in this state of suspension where Garrett does just enough to trick people into thinking, hey, he can be a SB winning coach.

And then you wake up a decade later and wonder why in the world did we stick with this guy?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because as the Garrett supporters have tried to claim, Garrett is responsible for personnel now as well. So if the defense was always lacking talent, that's on him as well.

It's funny.......... when the talk shifts to good players we have, people want to give Garrett the credit. When the talk shifts to roster failures, suddenly Garrett is the victim of Jerry's bad decisions. Funny how that works.
Nope. Jerry as GM is ultimately responsible for the roster.

Garrett has had some influence much like Stephen and Will have as well but make no mistake Garrett doesn’t get the final say. That’s on Jerry and why he’d receive credit if we built a championship team.

And why he doesn’t want a more proven HC who could take that credit from him.

IMO it’s much like Parcells said” you have to convince Jerry to go against his instincts”.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m not sure how fans have seen a championship caliber team under Garrett?

I certainly haven’t heard or seen much popular rhetoric as such except a few members on this site.

Stats and facts certainly would support a narrative we haven’t had a championship caliber team whereas it’s more of a subjective opinion supporting a narrative otherwise.
Do you think we've had a championship caliber team?