Will Jerry ever bring in a proven HC again?

Sydla

Reaction score
Those facts happened. If he would have went 7-9 the last 3 seasons he would be fired because those facts

Other facts happened. Like only 3 playoff appearances in 8 seasons. 2 playoff wins in 8 seasons.

He should have been fired a year ago but Jerry is stubborn.

But even he's now seemingly waking up to the realization he might have a problem. If Garrett misses the playoffs this year, he's likely a goner IMO.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is all at Jerry’s feet because he’s not willing to bring in a greater HC.

And we’ve been talent dependent. We will go as far as our talent will take us. This is Jerry’s ways.
Wait....so it's Jerry's fault for not bringing in a better HC, but it's not Garrett's fault for not being a better HC? You're talking in circles, Gregg.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Jerry will die with the huge failure of the last 25 years...things will probably be worse under his cheap son
I highly doubt that.
I0IyyNm.jpg

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, that's what we are left with as fans. That Jerry hires a HC that is able to navigate the murky waters churned by Jerry. That the HC is good enough to overcome some of the inevitable flaws our roster will likely have.

No one said it's an ideal situation. But it's simply the reality of the situation. Garrett hasn't been able to do it. It's probably time we try someone else and hope to get lucky.
I’d agree we are left with a very difficult situation as fans but we should never take the pedal off of who’s fault it is even if we feel he’s not removable.

The reality of the situation is even graver than most want to accept until Jerry changes his ways. I’m afraid this is probably as good of a situation as we can hope for. Garrett has been not only the best puppet in the post 90’s era but most successful HC which accurately defines how screwed we are.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wait....so it's Jerry's fault for not bringing in a better HC, but it's not Garrett's fault for not being a better HC? You're talking in circles, Gregg.
We were talking about who’s responsible for the roster.

Garrett is only responsible for cooking the groceries not buying them.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We were talking about who’s responsible for the roster.

Garrett is only responsible for cooking the groceries not buying them.
The personnel are chosen based on Garrett's scheme, and his input into what he's looking for. Jerry doesn't doesn't just unilaterally decide who's going to be on the team, otherwise Johnny Football would've been QB of the Dallas Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He participates in choosing what to buy, he just doesn’t have the final say.
This is becoming amusing . Of course Jerry has the final say.

Would you say Garrett has the same say in personnel and asst coaches as most HC’s ?

Big_D

Reaction score
The past 25 makes his first 5 an anomaly. Money doesn't change that. He's a crappy GM and will be remembered as such. Not that that means anything to him, but it should.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Other facts happened. Like only 3 playoff appearances in 8 seasons. 2 playoff wins in 8 seasons.

He should have been fired a year ago but Jerry is stubborn.

But even he's now seemingly waking up to the realization he might have a problem. If Garrett misses the playoffs this year, he's likely a goner IMO.
The facts that happened since 2014 are real as well. As long as they replace someone that is better I have no problem. But not many could have done what JG has done the last 3 seasons

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Jerry has only hired one proven HC.
Jimmy wasn't proven when he was hired
:huh:Just the opposite. Walter Camp Coach 1986/ National Championship 1987. He's been coaching since 1965. Jimmy even helped recruit Bradshaw from high school. He had one helluva resume which impressed Jerry. He was more than proven.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The personnel are chosen based on Garrett's scheme, and his input into what he's looking for. Jerry doesn't doesn't just unilaterally decide who's going to be on the team, otherwise Johnny Football would've been QB of the Dallas Cowboys.
Wow!!

You guys really believe Jerry wanted Manziel. That was all a publicity stunt. He never had any intention of taking our heir apparent while Romo was here. He even said as much on Draft day.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I definitely think Jerry is beginning to come around, or at least that's what I suspect initially. He knows he does not have a lot of time left, and I think his dear friend Bob McNair's passing a few months ago really hit home. Take note of how emotional he gets in interviews here lately, especially when discussing the Senior Bowl and stuff like that. I've never seen Jerry like that in the past.

What does give me hope is that this is the first season that I can remember where he has publicly not committed to Garrett and has even criticized him fairly recently. Jerry knows this team should contend and so do all of we. A part of owning a dog like Garrett is knowing when it's time to take it out back and shoot it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Amazing we still have fans who don’t believe Jerry isn’t still responsible for building this t
I definitely think Jerry is beginning to come around, or at least that's what I suspect initially. He knows he does not have a lot of time left, and I think his dear friend Bob McNair's passing a few months ago really hit home. Take note of how emotional he gets in interviews here lately, especially when discussing the Senior Bowl and stuff like that. I've never seen Jerry like that in the past.

What does give me hope is that this is the first season that I can remember where he has publicly not committed to Garrett and has even criticized him fairly recently. Jerry knows this team should contend and so do all of we. A part of owning a dog like Garrett is knowing when it's time to take it out back and shoot it.
Jerry also thought our offense was like the Rams. Lol

We were contending . We amazingly won the division after a 3-5 start, won a playoff game and were an Elite 8 team. Pretty darn good with a bottom tier offense and emerging top 10 defense. But I certainly haven’t seen a Super Bowl team here since the 90’s.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Apparently another fan who is giving Jerry a pass for his early success and places his financial success this era( glitter) above the lack of success on field ( glory).
Are you referring to me? If so, maybe you should have a reason to say something like that, as opposed to using a stupid insult as a basis for an argument, because you've run out of options.

Jerry is also to be blamed for the lack of success, because first and foremost, he thus far has refused to see that Garrett isn't the genius he thought he was. Garrett needs too many "ingredients" to make a decent dinner, and Jerry should've brought in a new cook years ago. Instead, he keeps hiring new "sous chefs" to spice things up, which does no good when the head chef keeps letting the souffle fall.

How's that for expanding on the "groceries" metaphor?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The past 25 makes his first 5 an anomaly. Money doesn't change that. He's a crappy GM and will be remembered as such. Not that that means anything to him, but it should.
Yep

It still amazes me we have some fans who defend Jerry like he isn’t as involved or responsible who also still give him a pass for the early success with Jimmys built teams and the financial success he’s had despite success on the field this era. Truly unbelievable!!

To them , I say this is what you deserve. And you’re a part of why it’s not likely to change.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Unfortunately, that dog has already chewed up all our shoes, peed on the curtains, and gotten into the Thanksgiving turkey.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are you referring to me? If so, maybe you should have a reason to say something like that, as opposed to using a stupid insult as a basis for an argument, because you've run out of options.

Jerry is also to be blamed for the lack of success, because first and foremost, he thus far has refused to see that Garrett isn't the genius he thought he was. Garrett needs too many "ingredients" to make a decent dinner, and Jerry should've brought in a new cook years ago. Instead, he keeps hiring new "sous chefs" to spice things up, which does no good when the head chef keeps letting the souffle fall.

How's that for expanding on the "groceries" metaphor?
I wasn’t referring to you but who I responded to and anyone providing Jerry a pass for his early success and financially.

Garrett isn’t here because anyone thought he was a genius. He’s here because he’s a HC that isn’t going to take the credit from Jerry if we have some success.

I’m not even sure if all fans even grasp why we have a HC like Garrett?