Will Jerry win a super bowl before he dies?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, he will refuse to die until he does prompting us to speculate what the team will look like when he dies at 108. Son will take over from Booger older than Booger is now. The good news is both have the brains of 40 year old's. The bad news is neither brain knows squat about building a NFL champ team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Unless I’m mistaken we’ve only won two playoff games since our last SB and undoubtedly Stephen has had a big hand in that.
Sorry but I don’t share your confidence.

You’re mistaken in 96 we beat the Vikings in the playoffs. We won a playoff game against Philly in 09 and beat the Lions in the playoffs in 2014. Didn’t say Stephen had a big hand in those playoff wins and I’m not overly confident that he can win a championship if he was in charge but I feel our chances are better with him. Jerry is too stuck in his ways and is too old to change how he does business. He’s going to go down trying to win a Super Bowl his way. Whenever the time comes and Stephen takes over the Cowboys he’s going to want to win a championship and I’m hoping he’ll take a different approach than what’s failed Jerry the past 2+ decades.

There’s no point in continuing to follow a pattern that hasn’t worked. The approach they have in new England is similar to what Jerry had with the Cowboys in the early 90s. Put a solid HC at the helm and allow them to run the football operations. Allow them to run the football team and make all the football decisions.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
:facepalm::facepalm:
You’re mistaken in 96 we beat the Vikings in the playoffs. We won a playoff game against Philly in 09 and beat the Lions in the playoffs in 2014. Didn’t say Stephen had a big hand in those playoff wins and I’m not overly confident that he can win a championship if he was in charge but I feel our chances are better with him. Jerry is too stuck in his ways and is too old to change how he does business. He’s going to go down trying to win a Super Bowl his way. Whenever the time comes and Stephen takes over the Cowboys he’s going to want to win a championship and I’m hoping he’ll take a different approach than what’s failed Jerry the past 2+ decades.

There’s no point in continuing to follow a pattern that hasn’t worked. The approach they have in new England is similar to what Jerry had with the Cowboys in the early 90s. Put a solid HC at the helm and allow them to run the football operations. Allow them to run the football team and make all the football decisions.

I stand corrected. How I could forget one of the highlights of the last 22years is beyond me.

Stephen is different to Jerry no doubt, however I still don't see him being good enough unless he hands over the running of the football side to a proper GM which I don't think he will.

The policy of not spending any money in FA seems to be one of Stephens which shows me he doesn't have what it takes to be successful in today's NFL, just like his dad.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
:facepalm::facepalm:

I stand corrected. How I could forget one of the highlights of the last 22years is beyond me.

Stephen is different to Jerry no doubt, however I still don't see him being good enough unless he hands over the running of the football side to a proper GM which I don't think he will.

The policy of not spending any money in FA seems to be one of Stephens which shows me he doesn't have what it takes to be successful in today's NFL, just like his dad.

That’s what I’m saying Stephen needs to do things differently. He needs to hire someone to run things. I like the approach of hiring a solid HC and allowing them to run the football operations. Stephen may very well do the same thing as Jerry and be the GM of the team. He could still have success if he gives a lot of authority to his HC. If he’s as hands on as Jerry we’re likely to see the same results. As far as not spending a lot of money in free agency I have no issue with that. How many times has spending a lot of money in free agency ever worked for the Cowboys? Where has it gotten the team? The great 90s teams weren’t built by signing high priced free agents.

It was built through the draft and signing some cheap Plan B free agents like Novacek. A lot of teams get screwed by signing high priced free agents. High priced free agents rarely ever perform to the level expected and they create cap problems. We need to draft better and use free agency to try and help supplement the team, not build it. If we’re going to allow a player to get away we have to at least sign a free agent that’s as good or better. The signing of Nolan Carroll last offseason was a dumb move, I called him a scrub the day we signed him. No way was he on the level or better than the players we lost.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
That’s what I’m saying Stephen needs to do things differently. He needs to hire someone to run things. I like the approach of hiring a solid HC and allowing them to run the football operations. Stephen may very well do the same thing as Jerry and be the GM of the team. He could still have success if he gives a lot of authority to his HC. If he’s as hands on as Jerry we’re likely to see the same results. As far as not spending a lot of money in free agency I have no issue with that. How many times has spending a lot of money in free agency ever worked for the Cowboys? Where has it gotten the team? The great 90s teams weren’t built by signing high priced free agents.

It was built through the draft and signing some cheap Plan B free agents like Novacek. A lot of teams get screwed by signing high priced free agents. High priced free agents rarely ever perform to the level expected and they create cap problems. We need to draft better and use free agency to try and help supplement the team, not build it. If we’re going to allow a player to get away we have to at least sign a free agent that’s as good or better. The signing of Nolan Carroll last offseason was a dumb move, I called him a scrub the day we signed him. No way was he on the level or better than the players we lost.

The Great 90's team didn't have to trouble themselves with the salary cap and loosing 20% of the team to FA each year.

And there's a big difference between being profligate in FA or spending money wisely on properly scouted players or spending peanuts to get monkeys.

Stephens policy has us firmly in the latter camp.

Balance is what's needed which takes a skill that neither Jones has so far shown.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Great 90's team didn't have to trouble themselves with the salary cap and loosing 20% of the team to FA each year.

And there's a big difference between being profligate in FA or spending money wisely on properly scouted players or spending peanuts to get monkeys.

Stephens policy has us firmly in the latter camp.

Balance is what's needed which takes a skill that neither Jones has so far shown.

Free agency started tearing those 90s teams apart. Free agency came in after we won the Super Bowl in 92. I believe some of the improvements and encouraging signs we’ve seen with the team the past several years have been a result of Stephens influence. As Jerry gets older Stephen is getting more say.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It is I who suffers. And many of my brothers and sisters. Will we live to see that day again?

GenoT

Reaction score
The Cowboys will never win another Super Bowl as long as Jerry acts as his own GM.

Only 3 wildcard playoff wins over 22 seasons doesn’t lie, and the only constant during that span has been the GM.

visionary

Reaction score
The Cowboys will never win another Super Bowl as long as Jerry acts as his own GM.

Only 3 wildcard playoff wins over 22 seasons doesn’t lie, and the only constant during that span has been the GM.

Clap
Clap
Spit

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
No!

The only addendum to this is the 1% chance he wakes up and is like “man why do I have JG. Let’s hire a real coach and let him run it the way he needs.” Pipe dream but a dream. He semi did this with Parcells

Praxit

Reaction score
...life mimics patterns. If you look up a Dallas chart with pattern on it. The chances are high no Lombardi will be hoisted by him again.

Big_D

Reaction score
No but a Jerry Jones statue outside the stadium would be just as good.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I'm interested in your theory. Please, elaborate!

Not a theory.

Currently, Charlotte is the Executive VP and Chief Operations Officer of the team.

I work with some people in Jerry's circle and have been invited to their suite for a game, across from Jerry's, (a once in a lifetime experience), and it's pretty common knowledge in those circles that Charlotte has been groomed to be the face and owner of the Cowboys. She is at all the owner's meetings and has a total grasp of the day to day running of the team. In fact, The Star at Frisco was her baby from start to finish. Jerry has complete confidence in her and will leave a woman operating the most visible franchise in sports. Another legacy play. She is also mentoring Terry Peguila from the Buffalo Bills, the wife of Terry. They are co-owners of the Bills.

Stephen will still manage football-related business. What I don't know (nor does anyone else in those circles) is how the decision-making on personnel and coaches will work out between them which obviously is the key question. The Dallas media has known for a while this will be Charlotte's team.

I'm pretty sure Jerry has an excellent health plan and should be around for a few more years but that's the transition plan in place.

Last edited:

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score

Please see my post about Charlotte. Again, I don't know what the dynamics will be between her and Stephen but she'll be the boss.